Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Max/MSP
Tips Tricks Suggestions Max/MSP & Music Production

Max/MSP

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#176 Entorwellian

Entorwellian

Hypermnesia

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • 29 topics
  • Joined 24-September 07

Posted 31 October 2018 - 04:49 PM

Thanks and yeah Cornell method is better for retaining lots of information I find. I have a video link about it on my webpage but the just of it is that you jot down notes in the middle part, write key concepts or words on the left margin, and then summarize those key words and concepts at the bottom into one paragraph. If you can't summarize everything in a single paragraph in your own words, there is something that you probably don't understand and have to go get more information on it. It's also recursive, so you can do another Cornell notetaking on your summaries and truncate it down even more. You end up having to go through everything 3 times and 2 of those you have to put things in your own words so it becomes not only a better tool for memorization but also to test your understanding. And instead of having to go through hundreds of flashcards, you just read the summaries of each note and is way more faster.

I REALLY wish I learned about it during university.

#177 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

phone calls from the dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08
  • Interests:transcending

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:46 PM

Ahh that's interesting. That definitely has some similarities to how I took notes in high school and uni - I'd always try to rephrase what the instructor was saying into my own words. It was fine if the words were nonsensical or slang as long as they made sense to me after the fact. I still do this. I think it helps you drill down into the essence of things when you keep having to look at it from a slightly different angle, or at least express it differently.

The recursive part sounds great, as does reducing down into one final summary.

#178 misc

misc

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • 19 topics
  • Joined 28-December 14

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:02 PM

Anyone able to help me with a super boring max issue? Might be a little difficult to describe but I'll try my best.

So after way too long of putting it off, I'm trying to set up a half-decent storage system that's adaptable to whatever abstractions I've got in the patch. I've got a master pattrstorage in my main patch, and then another pattrstorage in a sequencer abstraction, named so that it's recognised as a unique object for each instance of the abstraction that's loaded in (i.e with #1_seq). The pattrstorage in the abstraction is linked up to a preset object, so I can quickly save and change states, with the master pattrstorage then saving the states of multiple different instances of the abstraction. Hope this makes sense so far.

So what I want is in the sequencer abstraction to have an internal sequencer that can cycle through a set of the saved presets. Issue is, this obviously can't be linked to the abstraction's pattrstorage because then each preset includes the state of the internal sequencer, resulting in a loop where the internal seq changes the main seq state which in turn changes the state of the internal seq. So is there a way to have the internal seq settings be ignored by the abstraction's pattrstorage, but recognised by the master pattrstorage?

I've been messing around with subscribe messages and a few other approaches but nothing seems to work. Would really appreciate any suggestions.

#179 nikisoko

nikisoko

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • 11 topics
  • Joined 26-May 07
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/exit_only

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:47 PM

simplest way is to open the clientwindow in pattrstorage and uncheck the x on any patchers you dont want to be modified. you can also use the active message with a path to an object. another thing you can do is use scoped recall messages. I've been doing that recently to have a kind of 'meta sequencer' thats sequencing my sequences. Instead of changing the entire patch at once, I use scoped recall messages to just change the preset for a particular subpatch or even just one object. throw in some interpolation and you can get crazy mutating patches. check out the scope tab on the pattrstorage help file. 

#180 misc

misc

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • 19 topics
  • Joined 28-December 14

Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:49 AM

simplest way is to open the clientwindow in pattrstorage and uncheck the x on any patchers you dont want to be modified. you can also use the active message with a path to an object. another thing you can do is use scoped recall messages. I've been doing that recently to have a kind of 'meta sequencer' thats sequencing my sequences. Instead of changing the entire patch at once, I use scoped recall messages to just change the preset for a particular subpatch or even just one object. throw in some interpolation and you can get crazy mutating patches. check out the scope tab on the pattrstorage help file. 

Cheers for the suggestion. Unchecking the box works for getting the abstraction's pattrstorage to ignore the objects, but how do I then get the master pattrstorage, that's one level up, to recognise them?

#181 nikisoko

nikisoko

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • 11 topics
  • Joined 26-May 07
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/exit_only

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:37 AM

Ah, not sure that’s possible. I tend to just use a single pattrstorage per patch. You could try playing with greedy modes in pattrstorage but that would expose everything to the top level one so you would be back to enabling specific patches, removing the need for the extra pattrstorages

#182 misc

misc

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • 19 topics
  • Joined 28-December 14

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:44 AM

Ah, not sure that’s possible. I tend to just use a single pattrstorage per patch. You could try playing with greedy modes in pattrstorage but that would expose everything to the top level one so you would be back to enabling specific patches, removing the need for the extra pattrstorages

Yeah I've been messing around with all different combinations of greedy and subscribemode but can't get anything working. So would you say the only way to save the state of the internal sequencer in the master pattrstorage would be to have it as a separate module and connect it to the main sequencer? That's not a huge problem but I've been trying to minimise the amount of objects that need to be loaded in to do simple stuff, so would've liked to have it included in the main sequencer.

#183 Entorwellian

Entorwellian

Hypermnesia

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • 29 topics
  • Joined 24-September 07

Posted 18 November 2018 - 01:32 AM

Anyone able to help me with a super boring max issue? Might be a little difficult to describe but I'll try my best.

So after way too long of putting it off, I'm trying to set up a half-decent storage system that's adaptable to whatever abstractions I've got in the patch. I've got a master pattrstorage in my main patch, and then another pattrstorage in a sequencer abstraction, named so that it's recognised as a unique object for each instance of the abstraction that's loaded in (i.e with #1_seq). The pattrstorage in the abstraction is linked up to a preset object, so I can quickly save and change states, with the master pattrstorage then saving the states of multiple different instances of the abstraction. Hope this makes sense so far.

So what I want is in the sequencer abstraction to have an internal sequencer that can cycle through a set of the saved presets. Issue is, this obviously can't be linked to the abstraction's pattrstorage because then each preset includes the state of the internal sequencer, resulting in a loop where the internal seq changes the main seq state which in turn changes the state of the internal seq. So is there a way to have the internal seq settings be ignored by the abstraction's pattrstorage, but recognised by the master pattrstorage?

I've been messing around with subscribe messages and a few other approaches but nothing seems to work. Would really appreciate any suggestions.

I tried working on this but I could not come up with a solution either. I tried experimenting using the pattrhub object and with the subscribe mode arguments for pattrstorange but I can't find anything that will work with that level of abstraction you want. Though I have never worked with multiple pattrstorages either. 

#184 misc

misc

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • 19 topics
  • Joined 28-December 14

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:27 AM

I tried working on this but I could not come up with a solution either. I tried experimenting using the pattrhub object and with the subscribe mode arguments for pattrstorange but I can't find anything that will work with that level of abstraction you want. Though I have never worked with multiple pattrstorages either. 

Ah well cheers so much for having a look anyway. I ended up going with a workaround where I have both the main sequencer and the internal sequencer as presentation mode abstractions in a new patch and then load that, so they're both contained together but have separate pattrstorage routes. Can't believe I didn't think of doing that earlier to be honest, because I've been puzzling over this one for a while now.

Thanks again to both of you for having a look!

#185 Nil

Nil

in Collapsing Space

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • 30 topics
  • Joined 03-June 10
  • SoundCloud URL:http://soundcloud.com/nilhartman

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:17 AM

By ordering that book, I feel like I've just opened the Pandora Box :

step-by-step-cover.jpg

https://cycling74.com/products/books/

"Gregory is a brilliant communicator and his tutorials are always super clear and accessible, and have been invaluable over the years to both us and the wider Max community. Many of the techniques explored here will be useful to anyone using Live, M4L, or just interested in expanding their Max sequencing capabilities."

Sean Booth, Autechre

I guess you'll eventually see me often in that topic eh :)

#186 xox

xox

2K, On My Way

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,380 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Joined 08-April 08

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:37 AM

^ just the book i needed!!!!!!  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:

Edited by xox, 06 December 2018 - 03:37 AM.

#187 mcbpete

mcbpete

<3 everything

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,143 posts
  • 179 topics
  • Joined 01-July 01

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:09 AM

Yeah saw that in the Cycling '74 newsletter - Still have the other two Max tomes to get through ( https://www.amazon.c.../dp/8890548452/ & https://www.amazon.c.../dp/0199777683/ ) but definitely on my 'to buy' list

#188 Entorwellian

Entorwellian

Hypermnesia

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • 29 topics
  • Joined 24-September 07

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:34 PM

Yeah saw that in the Cycling '74 newsletter - Still have the other two Max tomes to get through ( https://www.amazon.c.../dp/8890548452/ & https://www.amazon.c.../dp/0199777683/ ) but definitely on my 'to buy' list

Those are very good books. The first two volumes of EMASD are great if you just want to make audio-only applications.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Max/MSP