IGNORED

Max/MSP

Adieu

It seems to be a tad more verbose than Tidal but has nice potential. I'll stick with TC as I'm getting really comfortable with it and enjoy it tremendously. They plan Atom integration for Gibber 2, so maybe it'll reduce / prevent latency issues ?

Would love to hear your SC bits anyway !

• Like 1

Cool ? Here's my latest semi-interesting thing. It's actually a modified example from the documents, but I can't remember which page now. Probably Select because everything else looks pretty standard? Anyway, it implements a faux phaser w/ additive synthesis. X position of mouse crossfades frequency values from harmonic series to collapsing into a single frequency. Y position is phaser depth.

Spoiler

(
a = { | freq = 400 |
	var coll = (1..32);
	var x = Lag.kr(MouseX.kr(0, 1), 2);
	var ix = 1 - x;
	var freak = freq * ((coll * ix) + (x * 2)) / 2;

var y = Lag.kr(MouseY.kr(1, 9), 2);
	var iy = 5 - y;

var harmies = Phasor.kr(0, SinOsc.kr(0.09, 0, 0.1, 0.1), 1, 32);
	var coeff = 1/512;
	var amp = coll.collect({|a|
		Select.kr((a - harmies).abs <= y, [
			coeff,
			(((a - harmies).abs/y))*coeff
		])
	});
	Mix.ar(SinOsc.ar(freak, 0, amp)) ! 2;
}.play;
s.freqscope;
)

When I was taking a break from Tidal, I made a bunch of self-contained stuff like this (kind of like a poor man's "redfall"):

Spoiler

(
SynthDef(\pendulum, { | note1=48, note2=51, trem=0.5, out=0 |
	var env = Line.kr(1, 0, 8, doneAction: Done.freeSelf);
	var lfo = LFTri.kr(trem, 0, 0.5, 0.5);
	var pan = IRand(0, 1) * 0.2 - 0.1;
	var oscs = SinOscFB.ar([note1 - Rand(0, 0.1), note2 + Rand(0, 0.1)].midicps, 1.1, [lfo ** 1.3, (1 - lfo) ** 1.3]);
	Out.ar(out, (( Pan2.ar(oscs[0], pan) + Pan2.ar(oscs[1], 0-pan)) ** 5.1 * env / 2));
}).add;
)

(
SynthDef(\sadbazz, { |note=55, out = 0 |
	var env = Line.kr(1, 0, 4, doneAction: Done.freeSelf);
	var env2 = Line.kr(1, 0, 0.25, -1);
	var osc = SinOscFB.ar([note + Rand(-0.02, 0.02), note + Rand(-0.02, 0.02)].midicps, (env + env2) ** 2.5 * 1.5, env ** 2 / 3);
	Out.ar(out, [osc[0], osc[1]]);
}).add;
)

(
var note1s = [48, 46];
var note2s = [51, 51, 55, 52];
var durs = [5, 5, 2.5, 5, 3.75];
var bassnotes = [36, 34, 37, 36, 34, 35, 32];
var trems = [0.5, 1, 1.25, 1.5, 0.25, 0.75];

p = Pbind(
	\instrument, \pendulum,
	\note1, Pseq(note1s, inf),
	\note2, Pseq(note2s, inf),
	\dur, Pseq(durs, inf),
	\trem, Prand(trems, inf),
	\out, 0
).play;

p = Pbind(
	\instrument, \sadbazz,
	\note, Pseq(bassnotes, inf),
	\dur, Prand(durs, inf),
	\out, 0
).play;
)

• 10 months later...

I’m trying to buy THIS book in digital format. It’s released on Apple Books but the problem is that it’s not available in Croatian Apple store yet, only public domain books are.

I asked the author if I could buy a pdf but the author said “Sorry! Only Apple Books for now.” ? 

Anyone knows any workaround for this? 

I tried changing address in Apple ID with VPN sw but it doesn’t work bc Apple ID also asks for a paying address and bank account in a given country.

Would it work if someone that lives in an Apple-legitimate-country buys it for me?

Edited by xox

I can get it for you if you want, they're asking 24,99€ for it via Apple Books here in France. Only thing I'm wondering is if you won't have any annoying DRM issues with the file itself ? Drop me a PM anyway, will happily help if I can.

You will have DRM issues. No one has bothered to crack the latest version of Apple Books DRM. I know this because I wanted to strip off Apple Books DRM off a book I accidentally bought from Apple and that I wanted to safeguard for posterity.

You’ll need to get the book from somewhere else, I’m afraid,

1 hour ago, rhmilo said:

You will have DRM issues. No one has bothered to crack the latest version of Apple Books DRM. I know this because I wanted to strip off Apple Books DRM off a book I accidentally bought from Apple and that I wanted to safeguard for posterity.

You’ll need to get the book from somewhere else, I’m afraid,

Aaa this is terrible! I didn’t know about this! Apparently it’s possible to remove it but not easily.

1 hour ago, Nil said:

I can get it for you if you want, they're asking 24,99€ for it via Apple Books here in France. Only thing I'm wondering is if you won't have any annoying DRM issues with the file itself ? Drop me a PM anyway, will happily help if I can.

Maaan! Thnx Nil! Really appreciate it but i need to investigate if it’s really possible/workable.

Edited by xox
  • Like 1

Hey @xox your original link has also availability on Amazon, did you check that too? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Music-Sound-Design-Practice/dp/8899212104/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=electronic+music+and+sound+design&qid=1559729551&s=gateway&sr=8-3

It's not an e-book there, but definitely no DRM on a paperback. ?

Edited by thawkins
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, xox said:

Last posts are less than a month old.

But what about these: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ways-to-remove-drm-from-ebooks/

Latest posts are about iTunes, though, not books.

The other link, if you click through a bit you end up here:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/remove-drm-every-ebook-own/

If you scroll down a bit you end up with this encouraging message:

Unfortunately, Apple users keen to remove the DRM from their iBooks face a much more limited choice of tools.

The only reliable method is to use the TunesKit iBook DRM removal tool. This will set you back $30, but if you’ve got thousands of ebooks, it’s a price worth paying.

Click through to that site and you get:

Supported OS: Mac OS X 10.12 (Sierra), 10.11 EI Capitan, 10.10 Yosemite, 10.9, 10.8

Latest Mac OS version is 10.15 ?

If you want to spend € 30 to try it, I'd love to hear how you get along because Apple Books (it hasn't been called iBooks for a while now, making the information above even more suspect) can be very cheap sometimes. Personally, I don't want to risk it, however, so I'll stick to other Ebook sources for now. 

• Thanks 1

@rhmilo

yes, you’re right! I could downgrade MacOS and iTunes but it would just be too complicated and it still wouldn’t guarantee anything 

@thawkins

I’m stacked with paperbacks ? 

...i guess I’ll have buy another one 

@Nil

thnx anyway!

• Like 1

Damn I just saw that you definitely wanted a digital version. Sorry. I guess it's understandable that the authors don't just want to send a non DRM PDF and risk that someone just puts that on torrents or something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

*cough*firsteditioncopiesareontorrentsitesalreadyandarejustasgoodassecondandthirdeditions*cough*

edit: quite a cough i had there. must be covid-19.

Edited by Entorwellian
  • Thanks 2
  • Burger 2

Also here are some other resources:

http://peterelsea.com/maxtutorials.html

These got me up to an intermediate level after I did the max tutorials. They really should have been included with the base program. Stuff like what math you should know and how to organize your patches. HIGHLY recommend going through all of the pdf's on there.

https://www.amazon.com/Step-Adventures-Sequencing-Max-MSP/dp/1732590303/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1543251676&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=Adventures+in+Sequencing

https://cycling74.com/tutorials/lfo-tutorial-1-the-zen-of-the-silent-patch

Both this guy's sequencer book and the lfo tutorials are also highly recommended.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm currently reading the Max tutorials and I would like to ask advanced users if I need to go through all of them ? Obviously I would use it for musical purposes, so for example I'm at the communication tuto 1 and I don't plan to use a gamepad as a controller so should I skip it to focus on other things ? 

3 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

I'm currently reading the Max tutorials and I would like to ask advanced users if I need to go through all of them ? Obviously I would use it for musical purposes, so for example I'm at the communication tuto 1 and I don't plan to use a gamepad as a controller so should I skip it to focus on other things ? 

Dive into the stuff that has immedate relevance to the things you want to make, and go back to the other stuff later.

• Like 1

Having a solid idea of what you want to achieve with Max is key here, and you might get frustrated early in the learning process if you don't.

I bet the doc and tutorial follow a logical pedagogic progression though, and that going throught each might teach you a lot.

Note that I've yet to learn Max haha.

A fellow Ableton Certified Trainer and Max power user recommended me this free course : https://online.stanford.edu/courses/sohs-ymusic0003-programming-max-structuring-interactive-software-digital-arts

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Nil said:

Yup, this course is pretty good.

Another good resource is the book "Step by Step: Adventures in Sequencing with Max/MSP" by Gregory Taylor. In fact, I'd recommend it over the "Programming Max" course as it immediately gets you usable results.

Since this book is basically a tutorial, I no longer need my copy so if you want I can send it to you. Shipping costs in Europe would be €10.

Finally, I'll say that after completing the course, the book and a bunch of other material in the end I decided Max/MSP was not for me. As programming languages go it's terrible: inconsistent, inelegant and very obviously hacked together without any sort of overall plan (there's multiple of ways to deal with arrays, for instance, and all of them are ugly and inconvenient). My programming background means I cannot in any way stomach this garbage - and nor do I need to because pretty much everything I want to do can be done with different technology.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1