IGNORED

Max/MSP

Adieu

2 hours ago, thawkins said:

IMO looking for "music made with $THING" (where $THING is modular, tube amps, pure data, max, dawless whatever), is going to be always disappointing, because then you are selecting for music that otherwise sucks so fucking bad that the author or whoever has to specifically mention that "hey I made this with $THING!!!".

R-6098610-1414487748-5396.jpeg.jpg

2 minutes ago, cern said:

Better than the black endless world of modular system for sure.. I will not take that step. ?

cheaper perhaps, but i've seen a few people who've disappeared into the netherrealm that is Max. look before you jump.

Edited by auxien
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, psn said:

It's worth it if you a) have a clear idea what you want to achieve and b) have the hours to put into it. 

id say b) is much more important and imo even only b) is relevant. lve never made a track with anything, being hw or sw, with having a clear idea what i wanted to do, mostly not having a clue at all and only afterwards im listening what ive done and thinking wtf is this? and not knowing how i did it, like if someone else made the track. 

what makes max great is that you can make your own environment, your own playground where creativity can be free of intellectualizations, without methodical thinking, which is important till that moment, bc you need to build that environment with knowledge and intelligence but once you have that playground finished another form of intellect should take the wheel, the one that only monitors and reacts to the action-reaction loop (interaction between your Will and musical outcome).

not many ppl have both types of intellect + enough creativity + enough musical sensibility + persistent diligent approach to solve the puzzle. that's why Ae are so rare, and that's why our dear cern can't find another satisfactory example, and i doubt he will any time soon. you won't find it in uni circles either! ive tried; zero! they just push some stupid methods to publish sci papers! they've managed to degrade art to science! uffff! ... 

Edited by xox
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, cern said:

Why Im asking is because Ive seen alot of tutorials and some patches but thats it. Maybe I will buy a license instead of a synth and use it as a tool and sample source. Just want to hear if it's worth it. 

Try PD. It’s free. It’s basically Max but a bit more rough. If you like it, you’ll like Max. If you don’t, you might still like Max but the chances of that being the case are not great.

If you want to use it as a synth, Reaktor makes more sense, IMHO. It’s got more building blocks for synthesis. Squarepusher uses it (or used to).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auxien said:

R-6098610-1414487748-5396.jpeg.jpg

Right, so if I want to find music that sounds like Aphex Twin (I assume the art is from him), I am not going to find it by googling "disklavier music". Frank Zappa played a Gibson SG, but if I search for "tracks featuring Gibson SG" I have to wade through an immense amount of music that is not Frank Zappa to get to him.

• Burger 1

2 hours ago, cern said:

Better than the black endless world of modular system for sure.. I will not take that step. ?

Yeah, harder to fall into a consumerist trap with Max. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, psn said:

Yeah, harder to fall into a consumerist trap with Max. 

Those Macbooks and Monomes are not going to buy themselves, though. Also it is mandatory that you paint all your walls white, get untreated wood furniture and hire Ableton Certified Studio Interior Decorators to help get your audio-hovel together.

• Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How many of you making complex instruments just for saving them as sub-patches for use later on?

For example if you open the "simpleFM" object it is a little mini FM-device with some floatnumber and cycle and signal objects. Do you guys use to build stuff like this and make it as a sub patch for later use?

I also wonder how you sequence internal stuff? Is it a macro structure thing? 
Maybe like having a control for controling all the sequencers including the "transport" object for controling the BPM? 

2 hours ago, cern said:

I also wonder how you sequence internal stuff? Is it a macro structure thing? 
Maybe like having a control for controling all the sequencers including the "transport" object for controling the BPM? 

I have a master hub patch that I always have open when I'm using Max and it contains all the tempo controls, and has some master effects that all the other patches get routed through. There are a ton of different ways you can approach timing.

I miss developing patches.. I made so many 8-10 years ago (sequencers, FM synths, spectrograms, looper, etc), then I just got used to using them in presentation mode and stopped making new stuff lol. that's probably due in part to just being busier and having less time for it, and then depression inhibiting creativity and so on. still.. I believe in an autechre interview they said something about not overusing presentation mode in max and I think there is really something to that, you can lose sight of the development process if you stop looking at the guts.

I've gotten tons of value out of it over the years though, and I still love using those patches today, even if they are overdue for maintenance.

• Like 1

@Boxus That is a really nice answer thank you! 

It is maybe best to start doing a cuple of synths and a drum machine and make them interact with stepsequencers as simple start. 

3 hours ago, iococoi said:

not max but close enough PLUS miller puckette, the godfather of bang!

Paging @TubularCorporationto this post because looks like there are TWO Livid Code v2s in this demo and not even industry heavyweights can't seem to do their collaborative online streams without technical issues.

And of course our streams are much cooler and have much better visuals too.
:catrecline:

Edited by thawkins
  • Like 1

someone has tried granulator? I also found an euclidean pattern generator but not sure about it. Can you recommend me some devices like that ones? thank you!

Edited by Diurn

2 hours ago, thawkins said:

Paging @TubularCorporationto this post because looks like there are TWO Livid Code v2s in this demo and not even industry heavyweights can't seem to do their collaborative online streams without technical issues.

And of course our streams are much cooler and have much better visuals too.
:catrecline:

I'm still kind of stalled with that Code you sent me, I got a full set of Axoloti subpatches finished up for reading all the controls and switching all the LEDs, and now I can't decide what I actually want to make.

24 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

I'm still kind of stalled with that Code you sent me, I got a full set of Axoloti subpatches finished up for reading all the controls and switching all the LEDs, and now I can't decide what I actually want to make.

Looks like you are exactly where I was then. Time to pass it on to the next owner. ?

But more seriously, I would probably try to implement my "generative" note generator patch in the Axolotl in order to have a piece of kit you can plug into any MIDI compatible hardware synthesizer and let it rip.

I have a sort of general long term plan but I need some smaller things to tackle first because I've been away from the Axoloti a couple years and I'm really rusty.  Ultimately going for either some kind of signal processing tool that uses multiple parallel signal paths with cross-feedback points or a single signal path with parameter sequencing, and in either case it's going to lean on some combination of physical modelling (input signals driving resonators, that kind of thing) and granular synthesis since I don't have any hardware that really does either (other than some basic stuff the Octatrack can pull off).

But I need to start on some smaller patches to build off of toward the big one and it's the getting started where I'm stuck.

Anyway, if it's still sitting around in the fall I've got a specific friend who uses Axoloti a LOT, so I'll pass it along to him.

Edited by TubularCorporation

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, nikisoko said:

not knocking this, its cool that something like its is available in in max4live, but also pointing out that something similar has been in Supercollider for ages

https://doc.sccode.org/Tutorials/Getting-Started/16-Sequencing-with-Patterns.html

edit. doh! it'd help if i read the posts above. 

Edited by ignatius

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...