IGNORED

Max/MSP

Adieu

18 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

I actually thought you did that all in Max, I didn't realize you used Puredata too.

So far the only things I have done in Max is a M4L device that has all the presets on my XV5080 in a neat dropdown for selecting sounds in Live and being able to save those settings in the project.

More on topic, I think someone shared this ages ago (maybe in this very thread), but I am going to repost it since it will probably resonate a lot with the crowd here: it's about sequencing tools and trips in Max.

• Like 4

How is it?

I just opened it before work so no opinion yet. Haven’t checked but someone mentioned that the patches are not available yet, official release date is November 1st

Edited by d-a-m-o

Price: £32.72 for 381 pages is a pretty good deal 

Generating Sound & Organizing Time: Thinking with gen~ Book 1

Generating Sound & Organizing Time is about the astonishing things you can do—and the insights you can find—when you work at the atomic sample-by-sample structure of digital audio.

Whether you are a musician, sound designer, composer, or an experimentalist interested in creating music and tools to generate and modulate audio, our aim is to reveal how working at the sample level is not only easier to reason about, but also far more open to demystify and unleash the immense possibilities of digital audio signal processing.

To do this we use gen~, which lets us work directly at the sample level through visual patching (or by coding if you prefer) and hear results immediately after every edit. That means you can crack open the algorithms of oscillators, filters, audio effects and so on that are inaccessibly black-boxed in most music software, and explore your own variations through experimentation and hybridization.

This book is also about developing useful things to think with: design patterns, techniques and subcircuits to help you bring new musical signal processes to life. Starting from the simplest beginnings we’ll see how very many seemingly unrelated synthesis and sound processing algorithms come down to a pretty small number of common circuits and patterns reapplied in a few different ways (without needing much math or code), as we develop

• algorithmic rhythm generators, beat slicers, Euclidean sequencers
  • morphing LFOs, wave shapers, bit-crushers and gliding quantizers
  • chaotic systems, stepped and smoothed noise and chance operations
  • a wide palette of filters and delay effects
  • a plethora of phase and frequency modulation algorithms
  • formant, pulsar and polyphonic granular synthesizers of various kinds
  • bandlimited virtual analog and wavetable oscillators capable of intensive modulation

…and more in the large collection of patching examples provided with the book.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cycling ’74 Teases Something New – RNBO – Synthtopia

looks like Cycling has something new cooking, called RNBO. looks like maybe a way to make easily make Max patches 'portable' or something?

there's a few other video teasers there* 

*(featuring Tom Hall who made one of my favorite albums of the last few years :catrecline: but started shilling NFTs at some point :catsob: and works for Cycling i believe)

• Like 1

From this teaser my guess was that you'll be able to export full max patches as VSTs (and not just the gen~ objects)

My subtle guess of 'return of the pluggo ?' (as I believe that's exactly what that did) was met with a 'shifty eyes emoji' reply by Cycling '74 

• Like 2

Price: £32.72 for 381 pages is a pretty good deal 

Generating Sound & Organizing Time: Thinking with gen~ Book 1

Generating Sound & Organizing Time is about the astonishing things you can do—and the insights you can find—when you work at the atomic sample-by-sample structure of digital audio.

Whether you are a musician, sound designer, composer, or an experimentalist interested in creating music and tools to generate and modulate audio, our aim is to reveal how working at the sample level is not only easier to reason about, but also far more open to demystify and unleash the immense possibilities of digital audio signal processing.

To do this we use gen~, which lets us work directly at the sample level through visual patching (or by coding if you prefer) and hear results immediately after every edit. That means you can crack open the algorithms of oscillators, filters, audio effects and so on that are inaccessibly black-boxed in most music software, and explore your own variations through experimentation and hybridization.

This book is also about developing useful things to think with: design patterns, techniques and subcircuits to help you bring new musical signal processes to life. Starting from the simplest beginnings we’ll see how very many seemingly unrelated synthesis and sound processing algorithms come down to a pretty small number of common circuits and patterns reapplied in a few different ways (without needing much math or code), as we develop

• algorithmic rhythm generators, beat slicers, Euclidean sequencers
  • morphing LFOs, wave shapers, bit-crushers and gliding quantizers
  • chaotic systems, stepped and smoothed noise and chance operations
  • a wide palette of filters and delay effects
  • a plethora of phase and frequency modulation algorithms
  • formant, pulsar and polyphonic granular synthesizers of various kinds
  • bandlimited virtual analog and wavetable oscillators capable of intensive modulation

…and more in the large collection of patching examples provided with the book.

Nice. I will buy it.

• Like 2

Yikes, you're right..... Saw this on the download page and read it as being a free inclusion:

What’s new in Max 8.5?

• RNBO, a Max-inspired patching environment built to export code for web sites, plug-ins, embedded hardware, or any C++ based applications. Learn more about RNBO.

But then.... 

Booooooo :(((( (That's pretty much as expensive as Max itself ?!!!)

Download Max 8.5 -- RNBO’s included and works in a trial mode.image.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

Yikes, you're right..... Saw this on the download page and read it as being a free inclusion:

What’s new in Max 8.5?

• RNBO, a Max-inspired patching environment built to export code for web sites, plug-ins, embedded hardware, or any C++ based applications. Learn more about RNBO.

But then.... 

Booooooo :(((( (That's as much as Max itself ?!!!)

Download Max 8.5 -- RNBO’s included and works in a trial mode.image.png

Yep, not cheap, but TBH it's not something I need right now so...

• Like 1