IGNORED

Max/MSP

Adieu

The price (including not mentioning it anywhere in the presentations/reveals, even post release), bundling it with Max with no way of removing & Cycling 74 owning the copyright of your exported code definitely has been met with mixed emotions on the official forum - https://cycling74.com/forums/rnbo-1-0-now-available-bundled-with-max-8-5

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mcbpete said:

The price (including not mentioning it anywhere in the presentations/reveals, even post release), bundling it with Max with no way of removing & Cycling 74 owning the copyright of your exported code definitely has been met with mixed emotions on the official forum - https://cycling74.com/forums/rnbo-1-0-now-available-bundled-with-max-8-5

Yes. I was also expecting it to be included in Max. Definitely a bummer... Hopefully at least they reduce the price since it is kind of strange I need to basically buy a new Max license to do something I can do with other coding environments. 

Crossing my fingers is might be something that gets bundled (and not as a demo!) in a later Max major release. Seem to remember gen~ (or maybe it was Jitter) being a separate purchase until it was later included as standard

• Like 2

oof. hadn't looked to closely at RNBO other than some tweets etc. seems a great thing but the licensing + the price of it are a bit of a mess. $299? ouch. they'd get a lot of high fives if they just waited for max 9 and added this to the regular update price.

the licensing is a separate issue and seems mostly that it'll require jumping through some hoops for small developers who want to sell a thing they made. perhaps we'll see a lot of Donation-Ware from this? to sort of side step the licensing issues. 

also, getting a VST3 license from steinberg. ugh. i'm sure that's a fun process. 

anyway... it's interesting stuff and i think some people will do dope shit w/it. i'm miles away from developing interesting max patches so it's all kind of personally irrelevant. if i get to that place where i want to export some doodads i'll cross those bridges then. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Wunderbar said:

She walks trough a few patches might be interesting might not idk i dont programm max.

like here music tought.

im not interested in the technical part much but the music is reaaaally good! never heard of her... so thnx! 

https://rojinsharafi.bandcamp.com/album/kariz

Edited by xox
  • Like 1

Pretty wild Idea of me here but I was thinking about this for a while.
I have always had a dream to build my own big synthesizer system but my time is really limited and I don't want to end up collecting hardware synths everywhere in the house collecting dust and so on. 

Would it not be a very good business thing to have someone just created it for me? 
I pay someone and saying exactly how I want things and that person building it and got payed for the hours it takes to do the work. 

I think that would be really nice idea but I don't know.. Maybe too much difficult parameters in the process maybe. 

• Burger 1

If you know exactly what you want and can give a really detailed technical spec of the capabilities, then yeah I could imagine this process working.

If it's more like you have a rough idea and want to do like iterations of builds where each next build will be more and more refined, it could also work.

Problem is that you might imagine your perfect system, pay a lot to have it built and then the first time you play it you hate it. Creative workflow is a super personal thing and probably changes over time quite quickly so the moment you get your system that you paid for, you already want something else.

I think this sort of thing works well for fulltime creative people who have their dedicated gear personnel who help them setup their stuff, but then they really push the gear to the limit and its a years long neverending process too.

I would never do it because I know myself enough to know that I can have the best gear in the world and still be unhappy. In the end it's super about pushing what you can do with your current gear and constantly learning and fighting with it mentally, and yeah sometimes getting something new and cool to spice things up. There ain't never going to be an ideal perfect Everything System that is also easy to use.

Edited by thawkins
  • Like 1

Yeah you are right.. I guess it's just kind of a happy nice thought but in real it can be very complicated and not meet the expectation. 

Just only like a personal VST would be totally dope tho.. 

Get something like VCV Rack or Voltage Modular and then you can make any bespoke synth with the VCO, VCA, and VCF combo of your choice. Modulated and re-automated with further LFOs and other control modulation as required ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So what is RNBO? 

Is it just a converter tool inside Max/Msp for converting your Max/Msp-programs to VST etc?

Or is it a full program that works exactly as max but different functions + u can convert your programs you doing in RNBO?
If so then it is better to buy RNBO instead of max to get more use of it or what?

Both having the same price and all 

8 hours ago, cern said:

So what is RNBO? 

Is it just a converter tool inside Max/Msp for converting your Max/Msp-programs to VST etc?

Or is it a full program that works exactly as max but different functions + u can convert your programs you doing in RNBO?
If so then it is better to buy RNBO instead of max to get more use of it or what?

Both having the same price and all 

It is basically an exporter to web, VST and C++ code. I think it is mostly the MSP part. Yes, the price being exactly the same as the main program is syrobonkers—maybe 100 less or something would have been great.

Edited by logakght