IGNORED

Max/MSP

Adieu

57 minutes ago, logakght said:

It is basically an exporter to web, VST and C++ code. I think it is mostly the MSP part. Yes, the price being exactly the same as the main program is syrobonkers—maybe 100 less or something would have been great.

Yeah it is pretty much.. 

Now we can say if you want to have a 100% complete Max/Msp setup it will cost like $800 
The Ableton Live Suite seems more tempting and affordable comparing with that. 

• Like 1

One use case I could see it being worth the price would be if I was an artist that needed an easy-to-set-up and low cost device for an audio installation (which I'm not and I don't!) without worrying about a laptop running 24/7 (or being stolen) .... or required a bespoke midi and/or audio hardware 'box', as one of the things it outputs to is a 'headless' Raspberry Pi

8 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

One use case I could see it being worth the price would be if I was an artist that needed an easy-to-set-up and low cost device for an audio installation (which I'm not and I don't!) without worrying about a laptop running 24/7 (or being stolen) .... or required a bespoke midi and/or audio hardware 'box', as one of the things it outputs to is a 'headless' Raspberry Pi

Isn't it better to just use a Midi controller to control the audio sources? 

Or maybe I miss the Headless fun 

1 hour ago, cern said:

Isn't it better to just use a Midi controller to control the audio sources? 

As the RNBO output has midi support you could have the Pi as the audio (or video) source rather than worry about any other hardware devices (with the midi controller optionally plugged into it).

I'm thinking of situations like this that would need to keep running all day long but not need to worry about any kind of display, configuration or possibly crashes - Just switch on the Pi and let it boot the image automatically controlling the output (and if it does crash then just switch the power switch off-and-on to restart it again):

• Like 3

I think RNBO is for these cases where you are an audiovisual artist and you are commissioned an installation or a software or something. So you export your Max thing into an application and hand your client a box that does not need for them to buy a Max license in order to keep running. As a Max device designer, you are now also able to sell your Max-based plugins to everyone else using other DAWs and not just Live.

Maybe a little like Adobe Flash used to be?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, logakght said:

Maybe you could find them hear: https://post.lurk.org/@sean_ae 

he's dropped a few screencasts of the system there. amazing looking environment. it looks ultimately flexible and jammable. 

3 hours ago, Wunderbar said:

Anyone seen those patches sean recently shared?

yeah. awesome stuff. really inspiring. 

• 4 weeks later...

if i'd leave ae and mark fell/snd aside, my fav music made with max is second woman; nothing greatly original but it's at least fresh and exciting in a sense of combining known styles in interesting ways

tetsu inoue was fantastic too, gabor lazar ok ...

Edited by xox

1 hour ago, xox said:

if i'd leave ae and mark fell/snd aside, my fav music made with max is second woman; nothing greatly original but it's at least fresh and exciting in a sense of combining known styles in interesting ways

tetsu inoue was fantastic too, gabor lazar ok ...

Tetsu Inoue used Max? Woah—never thought about it.