IGNORED

Movies with Good Music

Danny O Flannagin

Cool, Inner City is my favorite Marvin Gaye track, perfect track for the scene you described (haven't seen it, yet).

I just had a discussion with a friend of mine, about how soundtracks these days are so completely void of creativity and atmosphere, the Hans Zimmer type all loud bombastic orchestra music is so tiring to my ears and is just plain boring imo (things like Pirates of the Carribean, Inception, The Dark Knight Rises, all those big productions). It's not like I'm expecting a lo-fi braindance production or something, but c'mon, I haven't heard óne beatiful impressing melody in recent movie theater experiences (ok maybe a bit negative, and I haven't even seen Pirates but fuck it, more experiment and less loud boring bombastic soundtracks please!)

My favorites:

Kenji Kawai (Ghost in the Shell, Avalon), Manic (Aphex, Squarepusher, Broadcast, etc. Good movie as well), Pi (autechre, etc), Man With the Movie Camera (Cinema Orchestra, amazing soundtrack with amazing images), Decoder, Forbidden Planet (essential) and ofcourse the obligatory Scarface and A Clockwork Orange.

If you want to discover some amazing obscure 50's/60's/70's/80's (italian/german/whatever) soundtracks, check channel 4 (the dream machine) of Intergalactic FM (best radiostation in the world) - https://intergalactic.fm/#

I don't recall any of the music in Scarface. Didnt really stand out

Best montage track ever...! Not really, but Giorgio Moroder's tracks are cool.

I did forget to name the score for Donnie Darko (also the soundtrack has some cool 80's tracks, but the ambient score is an old favorite of mine).

you don't remember this from gta iii also

Also yeah, and South Park montage. But it's mainly about Giorgio's synthtracks in that film that does it for me.

The use of Aphex in Children of Men was pretty embarrassing. "Look at this silly hippie listening to silly weird music. Look at him go lolz!" What a stupid useless scene in an otherwise okay movie.

Yeah, that was hella stupid.

Oldboy

The only thing I don't like about that movie is the soundtrack. The "action" music that plays at the beginning of the movie on top of that building is fucking terrible. There is a waltz in the movie though that deserves all the praise it can get.

but to be honest, I find a lot of movie soundtracks to be extremely generic. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places

Yes. Yes you are. Most blockbuster movies don't care about themes anymore. Even some of the biggest blockbusters such as The Avengers or any other superhero movie rejects the idea of a recognisable theme. Spider-Man comes close, but to be honest I can't remember it right now. All I can remember is that it's Danny Elfman doing his Elfman sounding stuff.

Anyway, here are some great tracks from some of my favorite soundtracks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPqpn3ejaNM

^This theme is like getting honey poured in your ears...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uLPPd7qsdA

First and foremost, I grew up with Disney Sing-A-Long videos and the movies themselves, my mom actually bought most of the series on VHS and used to watch them endlessly.

http://youtu.be/iTuUgwZh-fM

These two are my favorite movies as well, the OSTs being a big part of that. Beyond it's OST Right Stuff also uses a lot of great music in general and one of the things I love about it compared to many contemporary movies is that it doesn't jam pack a lot of music into the film. Every song in it has a purpose. Even something like Top Gun has a pretty solid original soundtrack compared to a lot of films now that liberally throw on licensed music for 15-30 seconds, almost as ads for record labels trying to sell either reissued albums or new pop songs.

^

James Horner did a lot of great soundtracks: Land Before Time, Honey I Shrunk The Kids, Titanic (sans Celine Dion), Apollo 13 and even the soundtracks for lesser acclaimed movies like Jumanji and We're Back: A Dinosaur Story are pretty good. John Williams, Danny Elfman, Alan Silverstri, Alan Mencken, and Hans Zimmer are of course up there too.

Also, the original TMNT film soundtrack is pretty good, dated as hell of course but that's part of why I like it still.

http://youtu.be/wIjGWnftVHg

I always find myself noticing the music in a positive way in movies where Cliff Martinez has composed it. Alexander Desplat's Syriana soundtrack is indeed also very nice. The soundtrack to One Hour Photo is great in creepy music. Also remembering having many tense movements playing the Call of Cthulhu RPG with pieces from Howard Shore's Se7en soundtrak back in the day.

Having this playing in the background while investigating a basement in some spooky abandoned hotel in the middle of nowhere did always put one on the edge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed7tJE77MSY

You just made my day. Fucking hell!

Hah! Yeah I mean, the fact that I can just pull this up at work in better quality than the VHS I wore out, just fucking a'

The infamous Pizza Hut commercial at the beginning is on youtube too lol

I just had a discussion with a friend of mine, about how soundtracks these days are so completely void of creativity and atmosphere, the Hans Zimmer type all loud bombastic orchestra music is so tiring to my ears and is just plain boring imo (things like Pirates of the Carribean, Inception, The Dark Knight Rises, all those big productions). It's not like I'm expecting a lo-fi braindance production or something, but c'mon, I haven't heard óne beatiful impressing melody in recent movie theater experiences (ok maybe a bit negative, and I haven't even seen Pirates but fuck it, more experiment and less loud boring bombastic soundtracks please!)

If I ever watch a movie where the soundtrack consists of braindance, my movie-watching experience will end in a fist fight somehow.

You're right about the bombastic soundtracks which is why all/most the tracks I posted are fairly minimalistic pieces that are memorable. I forgot to post this one:

Oldboy

The only thing I don't like about that movie is the soundtrack. The "action" music that plays at the beginning of the movie on top of that building is fucking terrible. There is a waltz in the movie though that deserves all the praise it can get.

Yea, I was talking about the waltz track. Don't remember any of the other stuff.

Oldboy

Yea, I was talking about the waltz track. Don't remember any of the other stuff.

^So good

^So bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWMoPk03lrA

^Fucking terrible oh gawd! ;(

Any Wes Anderson or Danny Boyle movie as well.

..what he said!..also..

The Falcon and the Snowman has some serious Pat Metheny vibes including this tune

[youtubehd]MJRF8xGzvj4[/youtubehd]

Les Mepris by Jean-Luc Godard with a great soundtrack by Georges Delerue

[youtubehd]2wjDWnKTROI[/youtubehd]

Big Man Japan, a very "special" movie with music by Towa Tei

[youtubehd]JTAoxSspBJE[/youtubehd]

Totally agree with a lot of the sci fi love in this thread.. also a fan of some parts of old Cronenberg films like Scanners. While we're on the subject of classic electronic music soundtracks, I recently heard Terry Riley's track 'In the summer' for the movie Lifespan and it was pretty sweet (kind of like minimalist proto synthgaze or something).

Ah. Looking for the share and it seems that some asshat thinks that bringing attention to unknown obscure music is a terrible thing and has pulled down the youtube version despite a bajillion versions of 'in C' being up everywhere. Oh well.

Stewart Copeland's Rumble Fish, forever a favourite of mine.

Also The Thin Red Line, 2001: A Space Odyssey and A Clockwork Orange, Fire Walk With Me.

Opening titles: Superman The Movie, Jaws and The French Connection send massive chills down my spine every single time I hear them, even after all these years and years.

Closing titles: The Exorcist (Penderecki?), fucking terrifying.

And a big fat second to Carpenter's Assault On Precinct 13.

EDIT: Only ever seen Ghosts...Of The Civil Dead once when it was on Channel 4 but it's stuck in my mind ever since. Any love for this film. I've got the OST on vinyl, it's excellent.

• 7 years later...

Archived