IGNORED

Million Dollar Extreme's Youtube account got pulled down

gmanyo

Guest bitroast

see im happy to make a distinction here.

that vice hipster racist guy seems like a real jerk. he might not be ? but .. he's dropping some pretty racist shit in conversation that doesn't at all come across as 'just being funny' or whatever. but maybe that's his intentions. irregardless, i don't get that response at all and he just comes across like he's saying racist jerk shit. even old mate sam hyde seems to not respond to well to his vocal garbage. but .. that's just me interpreting what i'm seeing. 

still think it's possible for good well minded people to enjoy the mde humour and recognize it as humour. regardless of sam and friends true intentions or political believes. i'm able to put that shit aside and if the comedy makes me laugh, i let it make me laugh. i find it interesting, the alternate viewpoints. i don't in the slightest have to agree or find it even appropiate to say out loud.. but i appreciate it as comedy.

hipster guy tho elicits none of this for me and nah. gross. fuck that. 

having said all this^ i think i can see why people find mde/sam disagreeable. i feel i have no right in arguing if people find it disagreeable for same reasons ykno ? 

Gavin McInnes is a waste of skin. it's amazing how he has managed to perpetuate all this attention towards himself without having anything by way of creative output to warrant it. I guess that's Vice in a nutshell (mostly, not always).

I don't think I'm being an asshole (for once in my life)

I am bummed that you think so, though

naw I don't, chill bro. I saw an opportunity and took it for teh lolz.

For the record, those in chatmm know I've never been convinced by Hyde. Some of it is amusing, the TED talk, Yellow Yam Scam etc. But a lot of it feels like the comedy equivalent of those 4hr long albums of silence and buzzing noises I try to get people to listen to "no trust me, stick with it, it gets really good about an hour and a half in"

I understand where Limpy is coming from, but I just don't see how it's important. I think everyone knows by now that Sam Hyde isn't left leaning and genuinely believes immigraton is harmful etc. etc. etc. But the thing is passively consuming content is not harmful at all. If watching comedians really had an effect on anything we could just watch George Carlin on repeat and the world would magically be a left-leaning hippie paradise. But that's not how it works. I watch Varg Vikernes' neo-nazi vlogs whenever he releases them and I'm still all for immigration and open borders and whatnot. There's a lot of people like Sam Hyde out there, and by ignoring them they're not gonna go away. If anything MDE is a good way to get some insight into their thinking

Last of all: comedy isn't innocuous. Also, posting on the internet is going to solve absolutely nothing and has zero impact in the real world. Even less of an impact when it's on a niche electronic music forum. Even less when what you're choosing to campaign against is an underground comedy troupe

Also, posting on the internet is going to solve absolutely nothing and has zero impact in the real world. Even less of an impact when it's on a niche electronic music forum. Even less when what you're choosing to campaign against is an underground comedy troupe

You could say that about almost anyone saying almost anything, almost anytime.

For instance: Why did you bother to post that response, Span? I mean hey it's not gonna change the world, and the universe is ultimately gonna go cold and die, so what's even the point?

Let's all just mass suicide because of the meaninglessness of it all.

Edited by LimpyLoo

You guys I keep lurking in this thread because I am torn between kind of thinking MDE used to be funny, and nodding in agreement with Limpy. Whatever your politics are, it's a dick move to intentionally fuck with people who are really concerned and uncertain about the future, just for the lols. There's plenty of ways of challenging insecurities and preconceptions without being an obnoxious cunt about it.

Also, I watched his reaction video about getting World Peace canceled and he very self-consciously avoided using the word "edgy", which honestly weirded me the fuck out for a guy who is apparently so blase about irony. Frankly I am starting to feel like the guy has some kind of agenda.

I gotta say also, I'm a fan of psychology student Limpy. :]

Yeah totally.

Just to be clear: I listen to right-of-center opinions all the time

(And occasionally agree with them)

But I am fucking grossed out by how cozy folks like Sam are with (actual literal) white supremacists and Neo-Nazis

(This I why I don't laugh at Sam's David Duke jokes)

Like, I think one big problem we're experiencing right now is that many people think that civilization is way less fragile than it actually is, and that outside of politics proper nothing is high-stakes.

Well, how do think Neo-Nazism gets normalized throughout a population? Well it looks to me like the answer is through the propagation of 'harmless' culture (how else could it?).

I gotta say also, I'm a fan of psychology student Limpy. :]

giphy.gif

Haha I somehow missed these posts last night

Also, posting on the internet is going to solve absolutely nothing and has zero impact in the real world. Even less of an impact when it's on a niche electronic music forum. Even less when what you're choosing to campaign against is an underground comedy troupe

You could say that about almost anyone saying almost anything, almost anytime.

For instance: Why did you bother to post that response, Span? I mean hey it's not gonna change the world, and the universe is ultimately gonna go cold and die, so what's even the point?

Let's all just mass suicide because of the meaninglessness of it all.

:cisfor:now yer gettin' it.

What's that old Greek saying?

"the best thing for a man is not to be born, and if already born, to die as soon as possible."

:cisfor: 

Edited by doublename

Well, how do think Neo-Nazism gets normalized throughout a population? Well it looks to me like the answer is through the propagation of 'harmless' culture (how else could it?).

Maybe we need to strengthen our defences (powers of reason) against Neo-Nazism if all it takes to normalise it is people like Sam Hyde influencing us - but then, I think Zizek's answer works - that if you take these kind of people on in an argument, you have already lost because they are determining the terms of the argument. Better that we see Neo Nazis as laughable idiots. I don't think Sam Hyde is a Neo-Nazi although he - at least identifies himself as - a right winger, but if you want to repudiate his position, maybe better to stop taking him seriously, and see him for what he really is? But then, I'm not sure I understand who he really is

Not taking Nazism seriously didn't work out too well the first time

And even worse than that: the idea that Nazism initially won out the first time *wasn't* because everyone (or even most people) were Nazis:

1) Many of the people carrying out the actual horrors weren't committed Nazis, they were just normal law-enforcement/military folks who didn't wanna abandon their cohorts, and/or were simply given impossible choices.,.

2) I actually think you could have a society that acts out Nazism without any individual person actually consciously holding Nazi beliefs...the reason being that beliefs aren't merely cognitive constructs like we usually take them to be...rather, people act out destructive patterns all the time whose causes and consequences are completely hidden from them...e.g. you can have 4Channers en masse sending death threats and pictures of gas chambers to Jewish journalists, and they might go their whole life thinking that any harm that came was the result of the over-sensitive journalist...you push that far enough and you get 'Hated in the Nation' where society is murderous/genocidal, but any given individual is not

I understand where Limpy is coming from, but I just don't see how it's important. I think everyone knows by now that Sam Hyde isn't left leaning and genuinely believes immigraton is harmful etc. etc. etc. But the thing is passively consuming content is not harmful at all. If watching comedians really had an effect on anything we could just watch George Carlin on repeat and the world would magically be a left-leaning hippie paradise. But that's not how it works. I watch Varg Vikernes' neo-nazi vlogs whenever he releases them and I'm still all for immigration and open borders and whatnot. There's a lot of people like Sam Hyde out there, and by ignoring them they're not gonna go away. If anything MDE is a good way to get some insight into their thinking

I don't think passively consuming content is harmless. It's great that you have the mental capacity to watch stuff like that and not be charged up with bigoted rage but frankly some don't. I mean, imagine some angry, lower-IQ, unemployed, immigrant-hating guy parroting his sarcastic utterances without any hint of irony and I think it's easy to see how what he does (or what Varg Vikernes does) could be problematic. You could argue that those folks may already feel that way, but at the very least it's amplifying the shittiness.

I'll always appreciate his Ted talk, though - that moment really should have been a wake up call to democrats to let some fresh air into the intellectual fart chamber.

I'm not talking about not taking Nazism seriously, I'm saying that in normal society, if someone espouses Nazi views, they should just seem ridiculous, like, they don't get the point. Zizek's example is that if someone started defending rape, it would be ridiculous to argue with them and give reasons why women shouldn't be raped - it should just be that one does not do/say those kind of things, and the person arguing for rape should appear as an idiot.

I think you're getting at one of the most problematic things about this type of stuff - lots of us do feel that way, and that's why we can laugh at it. But others think that the punchline is "______ are not human" because they sincerely hate them. And it does seem ridiculous but there really are people like this... lots of them.

I'm not talking about not taking Nazism seriously, I'm saying that in normal society, if someone espouses Nazi views, they should just seem ridiculous, like, they don't get the point. Zizek's example is that if someone started defending rape, it would be ridiculous to argue with them and give reasons why women shouldn't be raped - it should just be that one does not do/say those kind of things, and the person arguing for rape should appear as an idiot.

I think you're getting at one of the most problematic things about this type of stuff - lots of us do feel that way, and that's why we can laugh at it. But others think that the punchline is "______ are not human" because they sincerely hate them. And it does seem ridiculous but there really are people like this... lots of them.

I want to reiterate that people aren't always aware of what they believe. Racist people, for example, don't consciously think "I hate black people." Maybe 10% of racist people have thoughts like that.

So the problem isn't people watching something and thinking "haha this is funny because I hate Jews." I don't think beliefs work like that. I think people adopt norms and patterns of behavior from culture by osmosis. (The classic example is always that you never consciously decided to buy into the tradition of having a Christmas tree every year, you're just enacting a pattern of behavior you unconsciously absorbed from your culture)

Limpy, did you even read the first part of Span's post? It looks like you're cherry picking a bit, and I thought it was a really good response too!

Well I disagreed with the premise of the beginning of Span's post.

His premise (if I'm not mistaken) is that we need to be strong enough in our convictions and beliefs to not be taken in by (e.g.) Neo-Nazism.

While that's definitely partly true, I'm arguing that beliefs aren't (merely) cognitive.

Here's the Rationalist idea of beliefs:

Your rationality is like a bouncer at a bar, and bad ideas are like obnoxious drunk people, and as long as the bouncer knows what he's doing then everything's fine

Well, again, how many of your behavioral habits have you applied your rationality to? Do you use your rationality to decide whether to bite your fingernails or not?

I think it's much more accurate to conceptualize racism (etc) as patterns of behavior...rather than as logical beliefs, or cognitive software, or worldviews, or any of this

I want to reiterate that people aren't always aware of what they believe. Racist people, for example, don't consciously think "I hate black people." Maybe 10% of racist people have thoughts like that.

So the problem isn't people watching something and thinking "haha this is funny because I hate Jews." I don't think beliefs work like that. I think people adopt norms and patterns of behavior from culture by osmosis. (The classic example is always that you never consciously decided to buy into the tradition of having a Christmas tree every year, you're just enacting a pattern of behavior you unconsciously absorbed from your culture)

That's probably also a good point, although I'm not aware of anyone acting like Sam Hyde just because he's not, uh, "cool", right? It seems to me like part of his shtick is that he's kind of a gross dude. Or... are there people who actually emulate him?

Also, I personally haven't purchased a Christmas tree in years!

Edited by sweepstakes

That's probably also a good point, although I'm not aware of anyone acting like Sam Hyde just because he's not, uh, "cool", right? It seems to me like part of his shtick is that he's kind of a gross dude. Or... are there people who actually emulate him?

Also, I personally haven't purchased a Christmas tree in years!

I don't think we first evaluate people on their coolness per se and then decide whether to emulate them. I think we decide people are 'cool' almost as an afterthought, because they embody some aspect of our own predicament(s) and seem to have a better strategy for it than we do.

Well I disagreed with the premise of the beginning of Span's post.

His premise (if I'm not mistaken) is that we need to be strong enough in our convictions and beliefs to not be taken in by (e.g.) Neo-Nazism.

No, it was:

Me and you aren't talking about the same Span post, it seems.

I'm not exactly advocating that we ignore Sam Hyde. I think the solution is (as usual) merely to have a decent model of whatever it is we're talking about so we can make good decisions about it, and also so when we talk about it we're talking about whatever it actually is, and in as high a resolution as possible.

the emma watson vid is actually too good to post here now that the thread got completely limpylooed. so you'll have to watch it on youtube by yourselves.

i never had such a weird mix of reactions to mde vids, a combination of tears of laughter with gag reflex kicking in constantly.

Me and you aren't talking about the same Span post, it seems.

I'm not exactly advocating that we ignore Sam Hyde. I think the solution is (as usual) merely to have a decent model of whatever it is we're talking about so we can make good decisions about it, and also so when we talk about it we're talking about whatever it actually is, and in as high a resolution as possible.

I agree with this and I gotta retract that remark I made that merely consuming content is harmless - because as Limpy said it helps normalize certain opinions and attitudes and could be the start of a slippery slope, yadda yadda - but at the end of the day the best you can do is just discuss the vids in a way that pulls people into your way of thinking and away from Sam's, a goal which a 30 post tirade is certainly not going to accomplish. There's also the problem that plenty people here are already predisposed to disagree with limpy cause of previous posting history, etc - and at one point, if you just keep posting and not pulling people to your 'side', you're accomplishing the opposite, which is to make people dismiss points they would have otherwise accepted

and I'm not saying you should stop posting; just saying that if the current way you're approaching this is making people go "just shut up already" maybe you should change your approach