IGNORED

Various Artists - EDM A2

Guest cult fiction

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we think Men 2 would have been out of place on the Steinvord ep? Is it meant to be a nod towards the whole Men Records thing?

You're asking if this trash should have been on Steinvord EP? The answer is no and is a good example of the dblue_glitch processing that JK uses that's completely absent from Steinvord, if people can't see the difference in production from Steinvord and JK then it's pointless.

Guest Spunk Monkey

Do we think Men 2 would have been out of place on the Steinvord ep? Is it meant to be a nod towards the whole Men Records thing?

You're asking if this trash should have been on Steinvord EP? The answer is no and is a good example of the dblue_glitch processing that JK uses that's completely absent from Steinvord, if people can't see the difference in production from Steinvord and JK then it's pointless.

Nice one rat face, Tune!

the one thing JK does have over the stienvord tracks is really nice melodies. I still don't beleive for a second they're the same person. It's true that Steinvord and JK are the only 2 artists on rephlex right now pushing out and expanding on the later period Aphex Twin glitch breakdowns, but they sound completely different. Whoever said on the Steinvord thread in the aphex twin subforum that it has that trademark 'fishing reel' glitch sound is what i'm talking about, no one besides Aphex and Squarepusher have done that as beautiful sounding before.

At this point i'm 90% convinced Untitled off the myspace page is a legitimate Drukqs outtake. Jidomatix and the other stuff people are saying might be aphex, it comes very close. It channels the right vibes in many many places, with a more fuckery in the avant-garde realm compared to people like Monolith or Wisps rephlex stuff but on a good pair of speakers or headphones you can hear a drastic difference in production quality.

edit: and yes I'm aware that Joyrex had 'knowledge' that Steinvord has nothing to do with Aphex Twin, but why wouldn't Grant or Richard fuck with him also just to keep up the myth?

and Spunk Moneky, i wouldn't worry about deflecting dblue glitch accusations. When i did my fake Autechre album back in 2005, people on xltronic were tearing me a new asshole for abusing 'buffer override' to get all my stutters, but back then i wasn't even aware of such a plugin and did them all by drawing rapid fire midi patterns. So everybody likes to pretend they know how someone is doing glitching, but most of the time especially on good tunes like yours they would be wrong

Guest Spunk Monkey

At the end of the day, I think he just wants to do music that sounds funky to him.

Nothing other than that.

that 2nd track to me sounds very Wisp

The first track sounds like something Aphex would do. The percussion effects and flourishes, the vocal sample, the morphing effects. It sounds like someone jerking around with a bunch of drukqs era techniques. Even the melody sample towards the second half sounds exactly like the interlude on "Come to Daddy". I think it sounds like Richard's voice a little bit in my opinion.

@3:11

Btw I'm talking about the sample at 2:41 on the Data Sync track vs the sample at 3:11 on Come to Daddy. It would have to have been chopped a bit and reorganized, but it sounds very similar in my opinion.

Yes indeed AdieuErsatzEnnui, Data Sync uses that interlude from Isoprophlex (1991) / Isopropanol or the Come To Daddy video.

Showing us that sampling AFX is still the best way to make people think you're him. ;)

Btw I'm talking about the sample at 2:41 on the Data Sync track vs the sample at 3:11 on Come to Daddy. It would have to have been chopped a bit and reorganized, but it sounds very similar in my opinion.

it does sound similar, and who ever made it is very good at channeling later period Aphex glitch effects, but not good enough to convince me that song has anything to do with RDJ. Just like Steinvord (gasp) Come to Daddy piles on the effects like a fucking master, he's using phasers, spectral shit and stuttering all at the same time. In this Data sync track i hear tape stops, comb filtered bursts, and the occasional stutter. To me its just not as complex sounding.

At least we're getting more music like the stuff on Drukqs. It might be a bit too close the source from time to time, but it' still miles above most stuff in the genre. Some of this stuff is the closest thing to Drukqs I've heard.

'quite good'

I'm not saying he uses dblue glitch, I'm saying it sounds as bad and lazy as it, kinda like when Flashbulb does it.

I think you mean Flahbulb.

Anyway, I ordered this CD. Weird, and excited!

Archived