IGNORED

pitchfork/burial minor lol and a question

keltoi

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9017-the-top-50-albums-of-2012/4/

It’s been a half-decade since Untrue was nominated for a Mercury Prize and William Bevan was un-hoodied. In the interim, dubstep’s star waxed and wanged.

and just out of interest cos this would be a fairly pointless thread to leave it at that...

how many of 'pitchfork's top 50 albums of 2012' do you own? me = maybe 4...

what about the boomkat top 100? http://boomkat.com/collections/boomkat-top-100-albums-2012-chart ... lol 3 for me.

not like pitchfork or boomkat represents my taste (or that of watmm) or anything but i've been reading a few 'top of 2012 lists' today and realise 2012 was not a good year for me keeping on top of new music. probably my worst in the last 10 years.

any other 'top of 2012 lists' i can check out/embarass myself with?

Even worse performance from me: I have 1 from Pitchfork (The GY!BE one which actually I thought was quite a disappointing album) and from Boomkat I have 2 (The Caretaker & Terre Thaemlitz)

Have The Wire released their best-of list yet ?

p.s. Surely the Kindred EP is an EP and not an album ... (even in the review it says: A year later, and with still no sign of a third album, we're treated to another three-track EP)

p.s. Surely the Kindred EP is an EP and not an album ... (even in the review it says: A year later, and with still no sign of a third album, we're treated to another three-track EP)

aye you're right it shouldn't even be on there... -1 from my already pathetic 'score' then.

Pitchfork: 0 (As usual, though I'll eventually get Flylo's and Lotus Plaza's)

Boomkat: 1

I find my taste in music drifting farther away from Pitchfork and Boomkat more and more each year. I downloaded about 20 albums from 2012, and I really really love many of them. Of course, none of these albums made the lists. As long as you found some albums you love, I personally wouldn't think it matters if you didn't listen to what pitchfork/boomkat denotes as good as long as you found many new albums that you enjoyed.

any other 'top of 2012 lists' i can check out/embarass myself with?
I'd like to see some as well. Less for the embarrassment factor, and more to see if the list is like-minded with my taste.

I'm a big Grimes and Beach House fan (the former grew on me, the later I've liked for years) - as for Frank Ocean and Kendrick Lamar, all my hip-hop aficionado friends like them both, so I'm not shocked they've been placed at #1 - predictable and safe.

Here's another one. I guess I didn't listen to much music this year, but I did like some of these.

http://cokemachineglow.com/category/top-50-albums-2012/

About the kindred EP, I guess maybe in the world of hipster rock n' roll journalism anything 30+ minutes = album

scraping the bottom of the barrel of the '90s.

To be honest I think that's the sound most of the artists on those lists were going for. Oooh I went there sister :emotawesomepm9:

I'm a big Grimes and Beach House fan (the former grew on me, the later I've liked for years) - as for Frank Ocean and Kendrick Lamar, all my hip-hop aficionado friends like them both, so I'm not shocked they've been placed at #1 - predictable and safe.

I'm a big Grimes fan as well! Genesis is one of my favourite tracks by her.

I almost always find 1 thing on these lists I like. So far it's Killer Mike - Reagan. And I forgot that I like Bat For Lashes - Laura. Cool.

Guest milorad
Pitchfork : 8

Boomkat : 6

and I didn't particularly like any of them except the Caretaker.

I also despise these lists but can't help but feeling I missed out on something huge. That's why I just download the bleep top 100 tracks or some cool compilations, find the songs I like and go exploring from there.

i wouldn't worry too much about it.

and that's all i have to say about that.

yeah i know the lists are wanky, but reading through them is just another way to find out about new music, which i vow to be better at this year, for nothing else but the nourishment of my soul. i've been lazy.

i have a top 3 for last year at least (can't choose between the first 2 for first place) - nathan fake: steam days / andy stott: luxury problems / fourtet: pink... nothing too 'off the beaten track'.

imo the bigger lol was calling Burial "dubstep's star"

*wangs*

:waxes and wangs:

i wouldn't worry too much about it.

and that's all i have to say about that.

yeah i know the lists are wanky, but reading through them is just another way to find out about new music, which i vow to be better at this year, for nothing else but the nourishment of my soul. i've been lazy.

Agreed, as wanky as they are they do serve a purpose in trying to distill a gazillion releases across a swath of genres down to those which are arguably "good." If something crops up on a bunch lists and appears to align with my tastes in music I'm more inclined to check it out. No harm in approaching it with a grain of salt, it could just as well be something I end up enjoying as it could just be hipster-hype wank.

I actually think it's pretty healthy to only like (or have heard) so few albums on these lists. There are only so many hours in a day and a balanced listening diet should include stuff you already know you like, older stuff you're just getting into (new-to-you), stuff you're re-getting into, never mind the wealth of other presentation formats dj mixes, live sets, podcasts, singles, Eps. Plus there's the subset music you already know you don't/won't like.

Archived