IGNORED

Shaving

hello spiral

Was wondering how everyone shaved, by which I mean faces.

It occurred to me that I worked out my shaving technique myself because I didn't have the older brother/uncle/father figure to show me.

For years I've been wet shaving with a Gillette Sensor Excel. Fill sink with hot water and splash my face with it. Apply Nivea shaving gel. I start at my sideburns and work my way towards the middle of my face. Do my chin last as it's the densest with hair, so takes longer and is more unpleasant.

Recently I thought "Why do the most unpleasant part last?" So instead have been starting at my left sideburn and working my way across my face to my right sideburn.

When I'm done I splash my face with cold water and apply some Nivea aftershave balm.

I only shave once a week, if I can be bothered. Get a good beardage on first.

What about your good selves?

Wet or dry shave? Hand held razor, straight razor, electric? Where do you start and finish? Do you leave any bits (moustache, sideburns, goatee, soul patch, map of canada?) What products do you use? How frequently?

Also interested if you were taught by somebody or worked it out for yourself.

Ladies are free to join in with this thread, just exchange face for legs or pits (and probably replace brother/uncle/father figure with mother, sister or friend.....one would hope).

Guest happycase

I hope I don't get my ass kicked for that picture. I'm not sure if there's any dignity in dressing up as a bee and getting shaved by a man.

straight up electric Gillette shaver for my fanny, no product, standing up, one leg on the toilet seat, there we go

Hawt.

I hope I don't get my ass kicked for that picture. I'm not sure if there's any dignity in dressing up as a bee and getting shaved by a man.

Also hawt.

I shave in the shower, after I'm done with everything else and the steam has fully done its work. as soon as I get out I apply a liberal dousing of pinaud clubman aftershave. then I feel like a boss.

i shave in the shower and then i use body wash to make my skin smooth.

although sometimes i skip shaving and use an epilator if i'm feeling particularly masochistic.

In front of the bathroom mirror, with a Wahl electric shaver. I've taken to shave my whole head with a 3mm attachment now, to better blend my balding.

No more visits to the barber.

Hear hear, I've got a heavy beard and sensitive skin (a shitty combo to say the least), so I usually keep a short trimmed beard to go with my short trimmed hair, basically looking like that one autechre dude. Also keep a Mach 3 in the shower for edging & keeping the neck tidy.

Occassionally it'll get itchy (esp. when the air is dry in the winter) in which case I'll just shave the whole thing off and start anew, king of shaves gel or noxema sensitive cream.

I shave in the shower, after I'm done with everything else and the steam has fully done its work. as soon as I get out I apply a liberal dousing of pinaud clubman aftershave. then I feel like a boss.

This *brofists*

In front of bathroom mirror,

apply Barbasol to my neck (my favorite shaving cream, though Nivea is nice too, fuck Gillette).

Shave a strip or two, rinse the razor in hot water, repeat

Take a shower

I'm going for the stubbly face look, so I use an electric hair-cutting buzzer thing and trim it down to somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 an inch.

I do during the Texas Legislative Session, which runs for 140 days starting the second Tuesday of every odd year (i.e. today). Otherwise I just say "fuck it" and let it grow out until it gets too Che-ish or pube-y. I usually let my sideburns grow a bit though regardless, right now is a huge exception actually.

My beard is decent (better than most my family which got less beard inclined genes) but not full and the kicker is that despite this my 5 o'clock shadow is pretty quick in appearance. When I had my crap-tastic job at Six Flags I neglected to shave overnight between 12+ hour shifts and I had to buy a cheap-blade bic razor and shaving cream in order to work that day because of company policy. Must of had 4 or 5 little bits of toiler paper on my face when I walked in already 90 degree heat (at 8:30 am) to the roller coaster I worked on. It was miserable.

I usually go with electric razor after or before shower. I should moisturize more often :/

Why is there honey in your bathroom?

i shave in the shower and then i use body wash to make my skin smooth.

although sometimes i skip shaving and use an epilator if i'm feeling particularly masochistic.

I found an epilator in the closet as a kid and plugged it in then touched it to my arm. I never touched it again after that.

I have to use goddamn hair clippers that chatter like a bastard. They make me feel like I'm about to get my face cut to shit at any second. This device is ancient. I bought it almost ten years ago when I decided to shave my head in a hurry. I've taken the thing apart more times than I can remember, but I can't get the chatter sound to stop. I lubricate it with olive oil like a goddamn Roman soldier. I don't use any of the attachments. Just bare steel on skin.

This is how a man shaves. Laughing danger in the fucking face.

I use an electric razor with this handy vacuum feature that sucks the hair up as I shave, albeit not very effectively. I keep it on the two-millimeters-worth-of-stubble setting. The most annoying thing about it is that it will not reach the hairs directly under my nose (just the bit underlining my nostrils) so I have to trim those dozen or so hairs with scissors. That's probably one for the FWP thread --if anyone would care to complain on my behalf please feel free.

A shitty braun electric razor. I haven't used it in 2013, because I hate the damn thing. I'm getting beardy. Girlfriend does not like.

Guest Ron Manager

Oh man I have massive FWPs with shaving.

I basically can't properly wet/dry/clean shave. I've tried loads of different techniques, razors, products, but my whole neck below chin and jawline just breaks out in redness and little spots, which, if I keep shaving, just get worse. I have really thick hair which curls a bit (I don't have curly hair, but it's wavy), so I imagine this contributes somewhat.

I end up using a beard trimmer/groomer thing on its lowest setting, so I always look like I have a couple of days' growth. This is fine most of the time, but every now and then I wish I could have a proper shave, but I just know that I'll regret it... doing it once isn't too bad, but if I try to repeat within a couple of days = disaster.

I have a thick beard most of the time (as now), so it's not a huge issue. But damn sometimes it really annoys me. Any WATMMTipsfrom fellow sufferers?

splash hot water liberally on face and apply this (no foam - foam's for rabies)...

King_of_Shaves_Alphagel_Sensitive_Skin_S

then i wield the mighty gillette fusion...

gillettefusion.JPG

start on top lip then deal with sides and work towards chin and lower lip, neck and dangerous adam's apple area (mine is well pronounced and pointy) last. no after balm cos it's built into the shave gel (seriously 'king of shaves' is the gear!)... i don't rinse, just towel-dab dry and let the gel moisturise and nourish. if i'm going out i might adorn some musk water to drive the females into heat.

Edited by keltoi

Sink of hot water.

Apply to face

P1240563.JPG?m=1340486926

Shave with disposable razor

Istart with sides, the upper lip, then chin

I have a very angular jaw and if im not careful there are bits below my ears that i miss.

220px-Chrome-Safety-Razor.jpg

I use the Merkur 34C heavy duty safety razor after lathering my face up nicely with some Bond Street sandalwood shaving cream from my badger hair shaving brush beforehand.

The process is as follows

Have a shower or splash hot water on my face to open the pores

Lather up my cream and apply liberally on my face to get a nice even coating

Wet my blade and shave my face with the grain of hair growth (WTG)

Lather up again and recover my face

Wet blade and shave my face across the grain of hair growth (XTG)

Lather up for the final time

Wet blade and shave my face against the grain of hair growth (ATG)

Splash cold water on my face to close the pores and wash off any remaining cream

The WTG-XTG-ATG shave gets you the closest shave, with good practice you hardly ever nick yourself, the cream is nicely moisturizing and doesn't leave your skin feeling itchy and dry afterwards, plus I never come up in a rash.

For added bonus apply moisturizer after the shave and you'll feel fresh, clean and beautiful. The discipline of this routine makes shaving less of a chore. Look after yourselves lads.

That is how you shave like a fucking boss.

Guest Al Hounos

After years of suffering from razor burn thanks to my fancy norelco electric razor, i finally got fed up and went full hipster with an old-fashioned safety razor, shaving soap and badger-hair brush. And I tell you what, it's been a revelation. Shaving is actually an almost pleasurable experience now, and I never get razor burn any more. And, it's actually immensely cheaper than typical disposable razors and canned shaving foam or gel. A box of 100 razors is only about $10 and the same for a year's worth of soap. My setup looks something like this:

Merkur long-handled safety razor

Merkur_180_Razor.jpg

and the requisite shaving soap and badger hair brush.

sotd111224.jpg

obel beat me to it!

Edited by Al Hounos