IGNORED

Xtal vocal source

salvakkpooo

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow.

This is fucking awesome.

I used to think it was a cut-up of the Opus 3 "It's a Fine Day" acappella track and then in another thread acknowledged that it wasn't, and supposedly it was a friend of RDJ...I guess this solves it? Great, great find. Seems like an interesting record in and of itself too.

Too bad, I always thought Richard thought up that lovely melody all by himself... I kind of wish I never stumbled on this thread and stayed in blissful ignorance. Oh well, awesome track regardless.

Guest Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald

The Chappell AV Series is an amazing collection of library records if you can find them. There's been quite a few times I've come across a Chappell AV Series record only to rack my brain where I've heard it before, only to realise it's been sampled. I've used them quite a few times myself! Seriously if you ever come across that cover buy the record, they're worth the investment.

Holy shit, that is so cool. I've always been under the assumption that it was a friend or something. Thanks for sharing.

I would love to hear more of these Chappell things.

I'm amazed that this hadn't been found years ago.

yeah, i was a bit surprised too, seeing as it seems to be a mostly unaltered sample being used prominently on the opening track of one of the better known electronic albums of the last 20 years. But probably it's just that most people aren't electronic nerds like WATMM, who listen to this stuff & go "dang, I wonder where all dem crazy noises actually came from"

I kind of wish I never stumbled on this thread and stayed in blissful ignorance

I can sorta understand that reaction, what with this being an explaining the magician's trick type of deal, but at the same time it fits with my views on music & art, how it's all one big interconnected web constantly reconfiguring & mutating the same parts & sometimes someone hits upon a combination at the right time in to connect with certain people on some sort of instinctual level

I can sorta understand that reaction, what with this being an explaining the magician's trick type of deal, but at the same time it fits with my views on music & art, how it's all one big interconnected web constantly reconfiguring & mutating the same parts & sometimes someone hits upon a combination at the right time in to connect with certain people on some sort of instinctual level

I know what you mean drukqs, but I agree with Cryptowen - years of browsing watmm and my general interest in electronic music production have made me enjoy the knowledge of samples and sound sources more than simply marveling at the mystery of having no idea how someone like RDJ made a track. Absolute marvel at wondering how RDJ made his music got me hooked, finding out more and more over the years makes me appreciate it more on repeated listens.

In fact somewhat ironically, I've started listening to "less experimental" artists that got me into electronic music to begin with (Chemical Brothers, Basement Jaxx, Fatboy Slim) with renewed interest because I actually know less about what they use equipment and sample wise!

I know what you mean drukqs, but I agree with Cryptowen - years of browsing watmm and my general interest in electronic music production have made me enjoy the knowledge of samples and sound sources more than simply marveling at the mystery of having no idea how someone like RDJ made a track. Absolute marvel at wondering how RDJ made his music got me hooked, finding out more and more over the years makes me appreciate it more on repeated listens.

In fact somewhat ironically, I've started listening to "less experimental" artists that got me into electronic music to begin with (Chemical Brothers, Basement Jaxx, Fatboy Slim) with renewed interest because I actually know less about what they use equipment and sample wise!

same here

same here

Awesome find! Wow, very, very cool.

and whats wrong with listening to mainstream electronica?

same here

nothing wrong imo.

same here

nothing wrong imo.

Ditto - those three are among many "mainstream" producers I love - admittedly though, I get in bubbles of certain genres and subgenres that I forget how much I like artists often skipped over or even snubbed at.

Back to this sample though - I love how eerie of a track it is, the vocal at the beginning leads to something more sinister and haunting, whereas in Xtal it's the icing on top of a gorgeous, epic track. And now I realize how prominent those background notes of the vocal sample are in the final mix of Xtal.

Archived