IGNORED

Xtal vocal source

salvakkpooo

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bigloob

Hmmm....you obviously did not read the thread.

I did, and there is no link to "Evil at Play" by Chappell that's public.

And do you know why?

Yeah, copyright. RDJ and the uploader would get sued. But still, I think the general public deserves a listen.

Hmmm....you obviously did not read the thread.

I did, and there is no link to "Evil at Play" by Chappell that's public.

And do you know why?

Yeah, copyright. RDJ and the uploader would get sued. But still, I think the general public deserves a listen.

There was a .wav that got uploaded, but I think it got censored as well.

Guest bigloob

Hey guys,

First post here. I just wanted to share this for anyone who missed it (like me).

PD: Sorry about bad english :happy:

Thank you! This was exactly what we were looking for.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Aphex has a great ear. He makes great music. When i was less informed in the 90's i thought his building gear was so important to his sound, but now i realize there are shitloads of nerds that do that and it has no bearing on their music. most is awful actually. I always get a little depressed when i go on youtube and listen to geeks with their synths. Its usually bad. 

There are several useful skills to have as a musician.  Being able to put everything together, knowing exactly when an instrument needs to be doubled or shifted up an octave or swapped out for a different instrument; being able to actually play instruments; being able to sing; being able to write good melodies, harmonies and rhythms; EQing and compressing; wiring up patches; and even being able to make the instruments themselves.  However, being good at any one of these things doesn't automatically make you good at the others!  When Alanis Morissette composes, writes lyrics, plays and sings, and Glen Ballard plays and produces, you can get spectacular results, but either one of them on their own wouldn't be anywhere near as good.  (OK, with that particular example, maybe they would, but only because they both have pretty diverse skillsets.)  The trick is to realise when you're good enough at one of these skills and move on to learning another one.  There are plenty of hackers who can, for instance, write music making software but not music, or for that matter write a word processor application, but not use it to write a novel.  Both are good skills, but very different.  Having said all that, it can be really useful to be a Jack of all trades, as Adam Savage is always keen to point out in his speeches. :D

I mean, it's pretty badass that Neal Stephenson wrote The Baroque Cycle longhand, then transcribed it into TeX, then converted that using LISP... but that's not why people have heard of him.  They've heard of him because he wrote Snow Crash.  The main thing you're doing, such as writing or music making (which are pretty similar in many ways) has to always come first.  Don't muck around with typesetting or other tool creation so much that it's to the detriment of you practicing your main craft.

So if you're writing a song and really want to put in an acidline but can't find a step sequencer which can apply portamento to arbitrary notes at the time, then it's great if you can build one, as you don't have to rely on someone else to do it for you.  But it won't in and of itself make you a better musician, it'll just make you less reliant on other people for the tools you need to do your job.

yeah zoey it's all interesting stuff. i think you have it a lot more smartly thought out than myself! ;)

but anyway, i've never heard of this 'library music' stuff up until now and it looks pretty interesting and possibly cool.

In my own (currently still very limited) experience, it's easier to make money right now by licensing music to directors than by selling it to consumers, doubly so as the films serve as adverts for your music as well.  Library music's a pretty smart move.  It's just a shame no one ever tried selling it to the public as well, back in the day.  I for one would love to buy the music used in James Burke's Connections, for instance.  Hell, I'd even buy Gelg's score for Look Around You if it was available...

Incredible shizzle in dis 1 + more.

I need to learn to take my own advice, though.  I believe I wrote that after writing a screenplay, and spending far too much time making my own Groff macro package (typesetting) in the process.  It would have been much wiser of me to just get on with the actual writing part.  At least I can articulate the advice, even if I'm not so good at following it.

Archived