IGNORED

Manti Te'o ridiculousness

joshuatxuk

Original story.

Norte Dame star and NFL draft prospect has made-up a story about an imaginary girlfriend who died of leukemia. He says it was a prank on him, and ND is backing him for now.

Did you enjoy the uplifiting story, the tale of a man who responded to adversity by becoming one of the top players of the game? If so, stop reading.

Manti Te'o did lose his grandmother this past fall. Annette Santiago died on Sept. 11, 2012, at the age of 72, according to Social Security Administration records in Nexis. But there is no SSA record there of the death of Lennay Marie Kekua, that day or any other. Her passing, recounted so many times in the national media, produces no obituary or funeral announcement in Nexis, and no mention in the Stanford student newspaper.

Nor is there any report of a severe auto accident involving a Lennay Kekua. Background checks turn up nothing. The Stanford registrar's office has no record that a Lennay Kekua ever enrolled. There is no record of her birth in the news. Outside of a few Twitter and Instagram accounts, there's no online evidence that Lennay Kekua ever existed.

Personally, I think it was Catfish hoax on him that he was embarrassed to acknowledge, so he lied, it snowballed, and he ended up claiming she died. The media covered this for months, Deadspin mentioned on the news that 5 separate major news outlets reported 5 completely different dates of her death and no one ever doubted the story.

It's like Fight Club with a shitty Nicolas Sparks + Rudy plot and Catfish plot-twist. Oh well, until the whole story comes out, let the memes begin...

tumblr_mgr2m1jMPj1s3b9u6o1_500.jpg

Guest cult fiction

I'm glad people are pushing to get to the bottom of this incredibly fascinating and important story. Investigative journalism is alive and well.

I'm glad people are pushing to get to the bottom of this incredibly fascinating and important story. Investigative journalism is alive and well.

It's a double-edged sword: no one should give a shit about a college football player's personal life. On the flipside, this story has revealed the insane importance and power given to college football programs and the utter lack of integrity news agencies have for promoting this story, which was full of holes for months, for so long. As I said, it took an independent news outlet (Deadspin) to even report the hoax. If that's not a wake-up call that the media is a joke to the public, I don't know what it.

my most important concern is if the bills draft him and when. i wonder how this will effect his stock....

my secondary concern is that big media is totally useless at it's one purpose - uncovering truth. this isn't without intention, as making money takes obvious priority over some silly abstract idea like informing the public

It's a double-edged sword: no one should give a shit about a college football player's personal life. On the flipside, this story has revealed the insane importance and power given to college football programs and the utter lack of integrity news agencies have for promoting this story, which was full of holes for months, for so long. As I said, it took an independent news outlet (Deadspin) to even report the hoax. If that's not a wake-up call that the media is a joke to the public, I don't know what it.

well, its just another proverbial nail really: by far the most massive misstep in news was CNN fucking up the results of the healthcare debate, and over a year of fake and misleading polls on a right-wing network that turned out to be horribly incorrect. The fact that "we" as a nation focus on this far more is very very troubling.

why does it say "best answer" next to that top post? is this answers.yahoo?

I marked one as "solved" - a stupid self-lol

lol, cause they solved the mystery of the missing gf right? if so, lol

How does a guy on the football team get desperate enough to call a woman his girlfriend for over 2 years without ever actually meeting her? This wreaks of bullshit, like how Tiger Woods had no idea how his back window on his car got shattered.

tumblr_mgs9667OqG1qz5y8zo1_500.png

so far this is the most entertaining development in this entire situation.

this made me smile:

Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump

.@Deadspin’s disgusting response will teach me & others not to be nice anymore—a sad lesson.

The Same!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EYGd5710Ek

Archived