IGNORED

Autechre Sample Origins Thread

triachus

No idea if there ever was a thread like this, so sorry if it was. Search function still sucks.

I recently stumbled upon this Merzbow track:

Listen between 1:47 and 2:55

Sounds familiar?

I'm surprised that the memorable sound of that track comes from a Merzbow track. I don't know if this is common knowledge around here (or "jazzband" as dey say 'round deez parts), but this is new to me.

And they must really love that Merzbow record, seeing as they also made a remix from it:

Now I'm curious to hear other tracks they might have sampled from. I'm not really aware of any. Enlighten me and perhaps others. Just dump every fact/speculation here.

could be the same sound, but also could just be a really similar sound.

i'm interested in which Tri Repeate tracks they seem to be mangling/retooling/sampling from out of their own catalog on here

http://www.frequency.com/video/onedotzero-8-festival-title-sequence/3197980/-/5-272725

this is an unreleased song used in an advertisement by Alex Rutterford

also in this Gescom track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U30xbAXfnJI&

they seem to be sampling AE tracks again, but not sure which one

in the skull snap thread in the new releases forum somebody spotted samples for at least 3 of the tracks from random Prog tracks, and I'm pretty sure someone sample spotted already everything in A1-D1

these are more obvious samples though, regular Autechre usually obscures them much more if they do sample from other artists

Guest disoriental express

i'm interested in which Tri Repeate tracks they seem to be mangling/retooling/sampling from out of their own catalog on here

http://www.frequency.com/video/onedotzero-8-festival-title-sequence/3197980/-/5-272725

beyond the obvious Altibzz in there.... it's hard to say. hmmm.... i don't hear anything that immediately brings anything from tri rep to mind except possibly a slowed down and altered piece of Clipper perhaps?

If pressed, i'd say its just made of altered samples from Altibzz and The Plc.

Listen between 1:47 and 2:55

Sounds familiar?

That's not a sample of that, although it might've been inspired by it (kind of doubt it though, more likely they found out about the Merzbow track after they already made their track and were amused at the similarity). Listen closely to the intro and outro to the song. It has the same effect but texturally/rhythmically it's different.

Both tracks are using short delay lines with negative feedback, which emphasizes odd harmonics and creates that square wave sound (as opposed to the sawtooth sound of positive feedback). This is related to Karpluss-Strong synthesis & comb filters. Flanging, etc. It's all the same shit - short, tuned delay lines with feedback. Compare with "Tewe" which uses a similar technique but with positive feedback.

this is an unreleased song used in an advertisement by Alex Rutterford

also in this Gescom track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U30xbAXfnJI&

they seem to be sampling AE tracks again, but not sure which one

in the skull snap thread in the new releases forum somebody spotted samples for at least 3 of the tracks from random Prog tracks, and I'm pretty sure someone sample spotted already everything in A1-D1

these are more obvious samples though, regular Autechre usually obscures them much more if they do sample from other artists

The Rutterford ad sounds at least as much to me like the first 2 tracks of Draft 7.30, maybe Zeiss Contarex, and of course that fucked up blazed out chorused Altibzz vibe although that's something they've been into for a while. Not hearing any Tri Rep here, personally.

I don't think that Gescom track samples any AE, although that flavor is familiar to me too. I think (as is the case with a lot of these tracks) they are using a similar technique to an AE track, although I can't put my finger on which. Sounds like some pitch shifting to me, maybe several pitch shifts in parallel to create a chord. Maybe even some feedback, those fellas are big fans of feedback (both audio & MIDI)

ae:

5:55

gescom:

Throughout song

It's a paradox

Yes. Noticed this too. Now this is definitely the same sample. There's another few of these if you listen to the Gescom stuff from around this time (EP2 - This/That), Minidisc, the Radio mix, some of their remixes. I think they were either more lax or just flexible about swapping samples around during this time period. I don't recall them doing this too much after about '99 or so. Someone at Warp might've noticed (or got notice from another label) and yelled at them about it.

I'm still trying to piece together the Gescom ISS:SA Megamix to no avail. Snackwitch? Mag? I assume something from ISS:SA? Possible shared sauces with Skull Snap? What the fuck, Gescom. Analysis is futile.

A couple reused samples/motifs, from their period of leniency re: recycling or self-remixing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI2eGE-8k4

Also, the lines between Carni and We R Are Why/ Are Y Are We got pretty blurred in the 1996 Flex show.

They definitely obfuscate shit more after 2001. For instance, Tapr sounds like it might sample Parhelic Triangle's main rhythmic figure, but it's decently obscured:

(see about :27in Tapr for a halfway clear iteration of the phrase).

The Rutterford ad sounds at least as much to me like the first 2 tracks of Draft 7.30, maybe Zeiss Contarex, and of course that fucked up blazed out chorused Altibzz vibe although that's something they've been into for a while. Not hearing any Tri Rep here, personally.

i definitely hear bits of this metallic sound from Dael in there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60bZzyrzCks

it's not just that it has an altibzz vibe, im pretty sure they are sampling the ambient pads from another track of theirs

possibly this one

if they are actually sampling tri repeate or not who knows, but i for one would be pretty excited at some sort of remixed/plundered AE album using all material from tri repeate if it sounded anything like that Festival ad

I'm still trying to piece together the Gescom ISS:SA Megamix to no avail. Snackwitch? Mag? I assume something from ISS:SA? Possible shared sauces with Skull Snap? What the fuck, Gescom. Analysis is futile.

All of the above - It's a fuckton of Gescom trax, hence "mega"-mix :wink: The most obvious to me (probably because it's the intro) is the last track of "That", I think it's called "Self Impersonation".

A couple reused samples/motifs, from their period of leniency re: recycling or self-remixing:

Ooh, haven't heard this. The kick and rhythm on this one reminds me of Keynell 1. And the hi-hats, yeah, definitely remind me of "Are Y Are We" - probably some RY30 shit. Oh I see what you mean about Djarum with that melody that comes in around 2 minutes too. They used that other places too, Corc from LP5 has something a lot like this in the middle. Oh, yeah, and that ring modulated type of stuff around 3 minutes, definitely!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI2eGE-8k4

Also, the lines between Carni and We R Are Why/ Are Y Are We got pretty blurred in the 1996 Flex show.

They definitely obfuscate shit more after 2001. For instance, Tapr sounds like it might sample Parhelic Triangle's main rhythmic figure, but it's decently obscured:

Yeah, and I understand why they would, but it's kind of fun when it's so obvious too. It's probably just a matter of skill, after a point it was probably almost easier for them to keep obfuscating. And then we got things like the Quaristice Versions and spinoff EPs and a lot of the Move of Ten tracks that re-used Oversteps elements. Although I think it was kind of more fun when the boundaries were a little blurrier and everything sounded a little bit like something else they did.

(see about :27in Tapr for a halfway clear iteration of the phrase).

Oh yeah, haha. I see what you mean. Doesn't sound like sampling or intentional re-contextualizing to me, just some similar LFO wanking that happened to create a resemblance. But you might be right.

i definitely hear bits of this metallic sound from Dael in there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60bZzyrzCks

it's not just that it has an altibzz vibe, im pretty sure they are sampling the ambient pads from another track of theirs

possibly this one

if they are actually sampling tri repeate or not who knows, but i for one would be pretty excited at some sort of remixed/plundered AE album using all material from tri repeate if it sounded anything like that Festival ad

Ohh, I see, you were talking about that kind of hi-hat sound. Gotcha... maybe it is a sample but again I don't think so. I'm guessing just a similar technique. What's that interview were they were talking about "new tricks on old gear, old tricks on new gear"? I mean just speaking from my own experiece (i.e. laziness) it's often easier to just emulate/model things you've done before than to go back and cull through samples to find something that fits what you're doing, or to get reacquainted with an old machine. Maybe you're onto something though.

could be just them using similar techniques, but i feel like AE has been on the pluderphonic tip for a while now, and why not go back and sample mangle stuff from your back catalog? They added some weird remixed bits of perlence at the end of the Chenc9 on the 2nd Versions disc of quaristice. This is sort of what leads me to believe they've done this before but perhaps in a more nuanced way. Not to mention the 2 last Gescom releases being mostly stolen samples remixed

could be just them using similar techniques, but i feel like AE has been on the pluderphonic tip for a while now, and why not go back and sample mangle stuff from your back catalog?
Yeah, I do this quite often; it's fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived