IGNORED

Love the band, hate the fans.

Sprillian

Hello, new member here. And yes, I have read the rules, thanks for asking :rolleyes:.

I went to see Mark Fell last week, which was nice.

It was a great gig in that I arrived, got me and my other half a drink, stood and watched the set, and left.

I found it distracting however, because it was in Dalston and the fans were, well, Dalstonites. Plenty of leaping around trying to dance to a rhythm they weren't actually hearing, before looking around self-consciously to make sure everyone was looking.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the enthusiasm, but this was not that.

I'm interested if anyone else feels this way about particular artists, and if so, who?

Do you enjoy the music of somebody, but would not like to be associated with the fans?

Any sheepish fan of any artists are fucking idiots for the most part.

I'm a huge Doors but i would probably not associate with any of the so called fans who don't really like the music but like the myth and mystic of Jim Morrison (who unfortunately are the majority of them), i've met so many doors fans who don't know any of the names of the other bands members or don't know what LA woman is, you can't share a joint and listen to the music with them because they probably don't know the song you are listening to, "oh that song is good who is that?" "ITS L'AMERICA ITS BY THE DOORS YOU HAVE A TATOO OF JIM MORRISON IN YOUR BACK YOU FUCKING IDIOT".

Guest Aserinsky

At any gig you go to, you're pretty much always going to get people that enjoy gigs in different ways. Please don't take this the wrong way as I don't mean it in a negative sense, but I'd say you were just as self conscious in communicating your enjoyment as they were. Going to a gig in itself is a self conscious act of social communication and pretty much any gig you go to, there will always be different sets of people that show their authenticity of enjoyment in different ways. There's a good theory by Wendy Fonarow that talks about there being different 'zones' within a gig (she's written a good summary of her theory here, but I'd personally track down her paper The spatial organisation of the Indie music gig if you can), but for me I'd never say that I don't like any particular musician's or band's fans. I'd just say I don't agree with the way that those who congregate in a specific zone communicate their fandom.

You are saying any 'shy' individuals who may be a fan of any artist are ignorant?

does sheepish mean shy?

I'm saying any fan who goes beyond liking an artists and gets to that point where they change their way of life to be more like the artist or they also can't take any criticism and they go ballistic when you same something negative about the artists they like.

As a fan you should be able to not only take criticism but also criticize the artist you like without feeling like you just insulted a god and going to hell for it.

I love hard bop, but jesus bop fans (or just bird fans in general) fucking drive me up a wall.

anthony braxtonites are like this as well.

a lot of shitty ethno Ph.D students who believe that their specific field recordings of bahamian folk songs/javanese gamelan are god's greatest music work on the planet.

99% of "kraftwerk fans" are fans for the completely opposite/wrong reasons... not interested in what kind of cultural critique they were putting forward, instead treating them as almost a novelty group that's "cool" to like.

You are saying any 'shy' individuals who may be a fan of any artist are ignorant?

does sheepish mean shy?

where I come from...yes. I blame this on cultural differences.

I love hard bop, but jesus bop fans (or just bird fans in general) fucking drive me up a wall.

anthony braxtonites are like this as well.

a lot of shitty ethno Ph.D students who believe that their specific field recordings of bahamian folk songs/javanese gamelan are god's greatest music work on the planet.

99% of "kraftwerk fans" are fans for the completely opposite/wrong reasons... not interested in what kind of cultural critique they were putting forward, instead treating them as almost a novelty group that's "cool" to like.

Yes! This is what I'm getting at.

Yeah I think that's more a Dalston thing than a Mark Fell thing though, any gig you go to there will have a larger-than-average amount of silly haircuts, trilby hats and pointy shoes with no socks. A Wagon Christ gig I went to round there was absolutely full of them, but I don't think they're representative of the average Wagon Christ fan.

What does it matter what other people wear to a gig? Do you guys spend your nights evaluating whether or not someone can be deigned an acceptable fan based on their clothing and the way they dance? Surely better to concentrate on having a fun night yourself, despite your perceptions of other people?

I have more of a problem with people who go to highly rhythmic electronic music gigs and *don't* dance. Like at Aphex Twin last year. It was a fucking DJ set of bangin' techno and people were just standing there watching.

there's a study that proves that people who are "hardcore/hipsters fans" of something, are, relatively, dumb. more hardcore, mainly (like justing bieber fans (girls), metal, stuff like that)

Being an ae fan (least on this forum and elsewhere) it's hard not to feel a bit hit by this. It's hard to communicate how I feel without sounding dorky or overly enthusiastic. Ae fans, boc fans, all have people that suffer from this, and it can certainly alienate people who don't connect with what's being said. Feel a little more home on WATMM though.

I still feel people who stand on the outside are a little clueless though. If you put on an album and you can't hear what I hear, why am I stupid for being a little obsessive about it? In recent years I've just toned it down a ton cause maybe nobody really cares about what I have to say anyway. I have some impulse to share my thoughts with others, but it's awkward to share all of it, and that's related to all art, not just ae. There is a lot of mindbending shit out there besides them. Sometimes it can feel like those who don't get it, just don't get it, but it sucks to be judged because of some thoughts about it.

Also, I'm highly critical of the people I admire, including ae, it's just typically not the type of critique others who aren't as into it have. Maybe that's cause we all have different brains, but in the end, just because some criticism isn't accepted, doesn't mean there isn't any criticism at all, it just isn't being discussed right then and there.

Twoism.org almost ruined BoC for me. Before going to that forum, I never associated the music with wimpy dudes and Peter Pan syndrome.

Guest Aserinsky
there's a study that proves that people who are "hardcore/hipsters fans" of something, are, relatively, dumb. more hardcore, mainly (like justing bieber fans (girls), metal, stuff like that)

Are you able to link to this research at all? Only reason I ask is that of all the research that I've come across there's been no distinct relationship between levels of fandom and personality traits; to me statement like this seems extremely bizarre.

I love Tool, but I hate most of their fans (no offense jules, though I'm sure you'd probably agree)

NIN... Reznor fanboy/fangirls are the worst

Death From Above 1979 (super hipster of me but the fan's who discovered them after the break-up are pretty obnoxious)

A lot of metalheads who are obsessed with appearing more metal or hardcore than everyone else are fucking stupid, it's music stop trying to prove something, just shut up and listen

NIN... Reznor fanboy/fangirls are the worst

Not kidding i once overheard a fat goth girl saying "The Fragile is about me, Trent gets me" at a NIN concert. I fucking hate NIN fans man, i feel bad for trent reznor but i guess when you make music videos like The Perfect Drug you are going to attract those kind of people.

Are you able to link to this research at all? Only reason I ask is that of all the research that I've come across there's been no distinct relationship between levels of fandom and personality traits; to me statement like this seems extremely bizarre.

I read that a long time ago, but I'll bring a link if I find it. Also, I actually think that people who participate in a direct and personal way with, in this case, music (dressing all black, all hipster, all sluty, whatever), are people who need to be part of something because they can't think of their own, or can't have their own personal thoughts, capicci? Just for an example, I had a girlfriend that likes Nightwish and shit like that. She always was dressed in the stupid black outfit most metal fans use. Without offending or trying to be like disrespectful, she had the same mentality as a girl who likes bieber or any pop artist (idiotic drooling "love"). My point is that people like that (not saying ALL of them) can't think about their own personal taste, mainly because the surroundings and shit (friends, family) since childhood, so they can't really search for what their brain actually likes. Therefore, "dumb".

I wish I could continue this argument but my "scientific moral bullshit english" isn't that good, and I feel I've commited a lot of grammar mistakes. But that's what I think.

Archived