IGNORED

What Job Do You Have

Danny O Flannagin

Doing sound and lights in a theatre-like place in my hometown. It becomes hardcore sometimes, when you have to work two mixes (sound and lights as well) plus a cd player or a computer at once. Not much of a pay and lots of overtime. Plus I am totally alone so when we´re having a festival or something it´s quite stressing. Before Christmas we had shows every day(1st-21st December non-stop) and I was feeling like I am living there. Spent 15 hours a day out there. It´s something like a mayors place so everything have to be perfect all the time. Interesting job, but it would be much much better if there would be at least one more person I can work with. Like this, it´s unbearable, at least my contract ends in March so I end soon. Quite looking forward to this...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I record sound on location for film/TV. Actually mostly web these days. I did not go to school for this. It is pretty great depending on the job. Sometimes I go to interesting places and work alongside people who do cool things. Sometimes I film corporate nothing people talking about how great Microsoft is. Sometimes it's 16 hour days running around in the cold, sometimes 5 hour days of sitting down. Sometimes I hate the lack of predictable schedule, usually I benefit from it. I also love that it's my job to own sophisticated, versatile recording gear.

I don't know if I could do it forever due to the physical wear I sustain. I'm ok now but know guys who have busted their backs. So, I'm always thinking about a way out. Nothing solid has come to mind. I also don't have a degree or a good sense of whether I'll need one for another gig.

I recently got a job at Jimmy John's as a delivery driver. (sub sandwiches) We deliver in a small radius and will take orders for just 1 sandwich, which can be less than 5$. Our motto is "freaky fast" deliveries. I live in a college town and the restaurant is in the bar district of town so we are open until 3 AM every night. I deliver to a lot of drunk students so it is a pretty fun job. Friday night some guy gave me a 30$ tip, that was awful nice of him. On average I'd say I make like 17$ an hour which isn't bad, I'm not sure how much the average delivery driver makes.

I've gotten some beers and shots and 1 jello shot as tips before too. No make-out sessions yet but I am anticipating one soon.(One girl did rub her belly on me though) Lots of girls have delivery guy fetishes, right?

Basically the topic title. What do you do for work? Do you have a job? Are you a student? Did you get a degree for your job? Are you happy with your job? What is your dream job?

Jesus, so many questions. But ultimately... Are you happy with your life?

I've been working at an outdoor equipment rental shop on a joint military base since 2006. Was a student until Dec 2011, when I graduated with a BA in Japanese language. The job doesn't provide optimal pay and isn't really relevant to my highest education level achieved, but that'll change this year.

Not "happy" with my life per se, but things could be worse. Dream job is probably either musician or game developer, but ultimately any job I could be happy with will suffice. Would like to travel and see family more in the future.

Basically the topic title. (1)What do you do for work? (2)Do you have a job? (3)Are you a student? (4)Did you get a degree for your job? (5)Are you happy with your job? (6)What is your dream job?

Jesus, so many questions. But ultimately... (7)Are you happy with your life?

1. Whatever pays better than minimum

2. Somedays

3. No

4. No

5. No

6. To be paid ridiculous amounts of money to scrutinize people or efforts with little or no evidence.

7. Probably not.

I'm a direct response copywriter. Glorified junk mail, essentially. It's a pain and I don't really believe in it, but I'm good at it and it pays the bills. (barely)

No education or training beyond three years on the job. I have an English degree but it's in no way relevant to what I do. I've also been a records clerk in an NHS hospital (harrowing, tiring work) and unemployed.

Too late to edit, but: I don't see myself doing this forever. I'd like to get back into education or retrain as a nurse, possibly a mental health nurse - but both are basically impossible right now because of time and money. My partner is training to be a secondary-level English teacher, which was something I'd always considered, but having seen the training first-hand I'm not sure I could do it.

Guest Ron Manager

Basically the topic title. What do you do for work? Do you have a job? Are you a student? Did you get a degree for your job? Are you happy with your job? What is your dream job?

Im sure most of you know this via intuition, but I do a couple of things that all revolve around history.

I teach at a college level...I'd say I am a professor, but certainly not in a tenure-track position or full-time. I work as an adjunct at multiple places within the university system....so in other words, I work more than most full-time people, but for part-time pay.

I have an MA and a BA in somewhat overlapping areas. The pay is rubbish, and next to no benefits on top of that, but I love what I do (best job I've ever had), its hard but rewarding....I'd like to think I've forgone the nice paying job to try and do something helpful, but that naivete is slowly eroding and I'm realizing learning things in humanities-related areas is close to worthless in the modern job market. Though I have had a couple places "headhunt" me so to speak: apparently being my age and a college professor is a good thing? So depending on how this year turns out, I'll soon be heading to greener pastures and a full-time career somewhere in a school system.

I've published a few articles and am working on publishing a book, which hopefully will yield a decent payoff....but working on that combined with teaching is wearing me down.

I wouldn't say Im happy with my life, but that I am accepting of it...building up good work experience, but slaving away for peanuts. Students responding positively is always a huge plus....I found out a lot of my students last semester nominated me for Teacher of the Year, but because I was part-time I wasn't eligible. That really made me feel like I'm doing the right thing.

i would say this to for anyone in uni: the teachers that give a damn are usually working their asses off much, much harder than you think they might.

Which area of history?

I'm an historian too. I'm going to submit my doctoral thesis in September, and am presently applying for research and teaching posts (in the UK you generally need some sort of teaching fellowship or research post-doc before you'll be considered for a full university position). I love getting paid to study what I'm interested in, although the world of academia can be a bit insular at times. I've taught undergraduates for the last couple of years, and I really enjoy that.

Edit: also, yes, sadly studying subjects such as History or English is not helpful for careers. I've looked a lot at non-academic options, and for everything I find that sounds interesting to me, it seems I should have done something like politics, IR, or economics.

What do you do for work?

Employed full-time by the State of Texas, specifically the Legislature.

Do you have a job?

Data-entry, clerical work, and assist with archival and library-related research. I mostly digitize and edit old documents all day (also - internetz) but during the legislative session, which happens for at least 140 days every 2 years, I sit on the Senate floor and enter all actions occurring on the bills for internal databases and ultimately, the public record. I'm one of two people tasked with the role.

Are you a student?

No. Got a BA in history, dropped out of the program for being a teacher (seriously, respect for anyone who teaches and tries to do their best), and a minor in, (drum roll plz), music history.

Did you get a degree for your job?

I believe it was a 4-year degree requirement, but not a specific major. I've been given more responsibilities but not promoted or given a pay raise beyond longevity pay (WOOT EXTRA 40 BUCKS A MONTH lol). Also, I don't think I have many options in the same department without getting a masters in library science, something I don't feel like doing. See below...

Are you happy with your job?

Yes and no. I love my job, my co-workers are mostly cool, and it's nice to have a steady job and pension. But I'm not satisfied. My wife also works for the state, is quite honestly an amazing worker and has been promoted (finally, long deserved) so in that sense she feels more content. We're actually going to see how this session goes (the hours are hell, co-workers and legislators can be godawful and terrible people to work for/with, unsurprisingly so it can be quite stressful and discouraging) and based on that we might move from Austin to New Mexico. Austin is getting expensive, the job market is over-saturated with applicants, and honestly we're just looking for somewhere quiet that would also eliminate our predicament of living month-to-month. Currently we're saving now but it's only with insane budgeting. If her job goes well this session, I'm looking for a change in my work for my own sake.

TBH, I rather work for better pay driving a truck or something. My passion for things like music and the goals related to that don't cross-over with my current job in a library. I rather work to save money, live simply and focus on my hobbies.

What is your dream job?

Something to skip ahead to quasi-retirement where my wive and I make a little bit of money but live somewhere tropical or in the mountains.

Are you happy with your life?

Yes. Seek things to make it happier, but all things pass. I'm married to my best friend, have a roof over my head, a cat, a dog, and loving friends and family. Live is good.

Guest Franklin

Basically the topic title. (1)What do you do for work? (2)Do you have a job? (3)Are you a student? (4)Did you get a degree for your job? (5)Are you happy with your job? (6)What is your dream job?

Jesus, so many questions. But ultimately... (7)Are you happy with your life?

1. I am an exposure therapist for individuals who have PTSD or specific phobia. I mostly see individuals that have been in very bad car crashes. I have been doing this for more than 8 years now.

2. I worked my way up in a company before eventually taking it over and making it mine:)

3. I am always a student

4 I have a degree in philosophy (of clinical psychology), as well as most of another in neuroscience. I also have lots of certifications. I have at least a master's lvl understanding of ptsd and phobia as well as of cognitive behavioural therapy. I have to be able to do a great deal of independent psychotherapy because of my specialty.

5. I love my job for the most part. My pay comes from insurance companies that are trying to rehabilitate people after these crashes though and dealing with them is usually a large pain in the ass BUT they've been paying with some regularity over the last 24 months so I'm a bit happier. I also really dislike writing reports but it's only fair considering how much my services cost. It's would be awesome if I could just keep it all in my head and in my clinical notes.

6. I'm mostly happy. I really wish I had time to finish a masters mostly just for my ego. I struggle with this a lot actually. I eventually might just go on leave for a bit and get one over with.

Up until recently, I taught Logic Pro and audio basics at a University in San Francisco. I really don't like teaching though, so I'm venturing into other fields. Currently, I work as an in-house A/V technician, but I also earn some money as a freelancer. I do anything from running sound/lights to sound design and composition.

Right now, I'm helping a friend with sound design elements for Bon Jovi's concert intro music. It's been a weird day...

I work in a liqour store, we're known for our wine and craft beer selection.

http://www.1stgrandaveliquors.com/

It's a pretty good gig, but I'm trying to find something more full-time atm. I was a studying audio production up until last semester, I'd like to find something more audio-related for a career.

I'm a civil/environmental engineer, work for a small 1-office consultancy and we do a lot of public infrastructure design, particularly transportation - highways, bridges, site development, etc. Mainly I work on the environmental aspects of projects, drainage and hydrology particularly, it can be a bit mundane at times (reports, permit applications, public sector bureaucratic stupidity) but there's enough creative problem solving involved to keep it interesting.

Did my 4-year undergrad in the States and got my MSc in Ireland 10 years later. Just passed my professional engineer (PE) exam and am now registered, which I had put off doing far too long.

I would've much enjoyed being a teacher in math(s) or science, even with all the bullshit and extra work off the clock, if only it didn't require taking a 50% pay cut on top of that. Also really like geography and mapping/cartography, which I occasionally get to do in my line of work.

Quite interesting to hear what y'all do IRL besides watmming :emotawesomepm9:

Danny O Flannagin, on 26 Jan 2013 - 13:37, said:

1. Clicking and dragging.

2. Yes

3. I wish

4. Not really

5. No

6. Developing software or other tool(s)/toy(s) that I myself can hardly believe are real, that I know are fucking awesome and aren't just a pile of bureaucratic corporate marketing doublespeak horseshit. I would also dig scoring or sound design though I don't really have the skills for it. Making games would be cool too but not like boneheaded cookie cutter commodity games. Also would dig just doing some generally cool programming projects. I don't think I want to do front-end web development again, though. Unless it's finally gotten to the point where you don't have to worry about compatibility, cos that shit is fucking annoying.

7. Usually I would say no. But when I realize that I'm not happy, I start thinking about how lucky I am to have a job, a partner who actually cares about me, a house, and some pretty cool audio toys to play with. Then I don't feel so bad. Usually.

wtf is that

it's a robot that's designed to be able to maneuver around humans without running into them (easier said than done, trust me). you can put a tablet on its head (that's the grey slate thing) and, according to the folks that manufacture it, it's envisioned to work as a guide or a secretary.

i'm in my third year at uni, majoring in psychology. i work in a lab and last semester i got to collaborate with this sexy lady:

Do you hold a clipboard and nod your head while saying "ahum" a thousand times?

ahum ahum ahum yeah

Student at an "elite liberal arts school" (read prohibitively expensive and sometimes douchey) where I hobnob with the children of famous people like Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Randy Newman, Paul Simon, and Ryuichi Sakamoto. Because relatively famous musical artists came from our school like MGMT, Das Racist and Dresden Dolls, students here think it's their god-given privilege to put forth a booking policy agenda of lesser known indie bands in hopes to gain "cred" with other students "in the know." I then usually show up to said shows and drunkenly heckle whichever pathetic whiny whitebread hipster quartet my peers have chosen to throw their money and shit-eating adulation at.

When I'm not lamenting how pathetic and insular the music scene is, I study Architecture and German. I received a grant to continue a project that attempts to uncover the particular architectural and urbanistic qualities of post-industry Detroit and post-unification Berlin, and how those similarities gave rise to techno music. This may seem obvious to most of you, but the german studies academic world is still stuck in the 19th century so they'll throw money at anyone who wants to research something "new."

I work at the university's theater, which is a fantastic early work of Kevin Roche. I hang lights and build sets. I get to weld. That's fun. I don't really like the job but I love being in a space designed by a great architect so that makes up for it.

I love going to school. You don't live in the real world and it's great.

that last sentence is amazing and i agree entirely.

1. I'm a general labourer doing renovations. The pay is just enough not to be shit, but not enough to really do anything and save money. I'll be making $19/hr from Feb. At least I get to work with power tools. Am applying for ESL tutoring positions as a second job cause the pay is better per hour.

2. Yes, but I want a career.

3. I just finished a double major in International Relations and Asian Area Studies, both of which are fucking useless. I am 90% sure I got in to grad school so I'll be getting a Masters in Asia Pacific Policy Studies.

4. I have those two BAs, but they are not relevant to the job I'm doing at all.

5. Yes and no. if I had started doing this earlier in my life I would be making a good living (my brother made almost 300K as a general foreman last year, he's a journeyman electrician). I work with a guy who's a friend and we shoot the shit a lot at work. A lot of the time the work is tedious, dangerous, or both.

6. I would love to work for the UN or the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFAIT). The UN might be a possibility after I get my MA. DFAIT probably not, since you have to be able to speak, read, and write French fluently, which is fucking ridiculous, since in my decade in Asia I met one person who could speak French. Since I would obviously be focusing on East Asia in my work, it's a ridiculous requirement that hinders the Canadian government's ability to formulate coherent policy regarding Asia (which is obvious if you look at their policy - or lack thereof).

7. No. I'm 38, divorced, and have no savings or assets, and as I was a student for the last 3 and a half years I was living in my mother's basement suite (yes, you can see the "definition of a loser thread"). My gf is amazing, but I often feel depressed because she has a better job than I do and is able to live life pretty much how she wants to. Since the relationship is relatively new (about 6 months now) it's obviously not fair of me to ask her for any sort of support beyond emotional. I could probably use therapy again, but since I can't afford it, I'll have to wait until I'm in school again.

boo hoo me.

Archived