IGNORED

What Job Do You Have

Danny O Flannagin

Making minimum wage as a cashier at a Mexican Restaurant (Owned by White people).

I'm filling out applications as I type this.

Edit: Oh yea, my job is fine, but they're starting to schedule me on days I don't want to work, and my school schedule is pretty incompatible with their 2 shifts.

I am a 4th year student, though I have another to go.

My dream job would be to work in a nature center, take care of the park, and direct elementary school field trips when need be. I met a lady who had that job (and the degree I'm going for) but of course, her job got cut this past year. Alternative dream job would be a county park manager, because I passionately love county parks. I wager I'll end up working for a city in some way.

Also I'm teaching others various visual art practices, have stop-motion workshops for children and stuff.

Wow, that's so cool! I lied, you have my dream job, gaarg. I desperately wanted to go to school for animation (stop-motion specifically) but there is such a stop-motion fad right now I figured I'd never get a job (plus everyone wanted me to get a real degree) so I caved in.

I regret it every day, though I suppose I did choose the financially stable (hopefully) route. I just hope I don't end up hating every work-day of my life as a trade-off.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ron Manager

Always wondered what you did chen based on the odd academic-ish post here and there. Hope you get into grad school, get some funding, and from there, onwards and upwards.

Guest Enter a new display name

I finish my degree in translation this spring. This profession is really paying where I live, but getting the first job is always a bit difficult. I currently work in a toys/art store at a mediocre salary and I plan to quit happily once I graduate.

I've been reluctant to say for a couple reasons but...Poker.

Playing roughly 10hrs/week enables me to pay my rent and bills and bankroll my various vices.

Only recently have I begun to realize that I should treat it like a proper job and play 30-50hrs/week. However, this is proving tough as It is contrary to my lazy nature.

Playing roughly 10hrs/week enables me to pay my rent and bills and bankroll my various vices.

Only recently have I begun to realize that I should treat it like a proper job and play 30-50hrs/week. However, this is proving tough as It is contrary to my lazy nature.

Try to mix internet with real life poker to keep things interesting. And moving into an apartment with other 'poker-dorks' might help as well. ( I knew some people doing similar stuff). And yes, you're right, it takes many many hours. Not only playing but analyzing opponents play styles. Reading the books. Basically also the stuff which doesn't pay off directly

Student at an "elite liberal arts school" (read prohibitively expensive and sometimes douchey) where I hobnob with the children of famous people like Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Randy Newman, Paul Simon, and Ryuichi Sakamoto.

I love going to school. You don't live in the real world and it's great.

Funnily enough my girlfriend got a message on her facebook today from a friend in new york who's like composer in residence with Ryuichi Sakamoto and has performed several concerts with him. I was all "let's go to New York!"

And yeah - school is great for avoiding the real world.

Not only playing but analyzing opponents play styles. Reading the books. Basically also the stuff which doesn't pay off directly

Why on earth would you assume I don't do these things?

Not only playing but analyzing opponents play styles. Reading the books. Basically also the stuff which doesn't pay off directly

Agreed thats obvious, but you never know. Some people actually play roughly 10 hrs and don't do the obvious. Sorry man, just trying to help and all.

Agreed thats obvious, but you never know. Some people actually play roughly 10 hrs and don't do the obvious. Sorry man, just trying to help and all.

No that's cool I appreciate it.

Mind you I've been playing for 8 years and for long stretches I'd play 40hr weeks.

8 years? Is the focus still on online, or are you more into playing real life by now? After 8 years I imagine you're already living in hotel rooms travelling the world and all.

8 years? Is the focus still on online, or are you more into playing real life by now? After 8 years I imagine you're already living in hotel rooms travelling the world and all.

I've played 3 live tournaments and they were all horrible experiences. The social anxiety and adrenaline completely prevented me from concentrating on my decision-making.

Traveling the world? I went to Europe 4-5 years back.

Mostly I've just been lazy and not played more than I needed to scrape by. Sadly. But I'm working on that.

Guest Ron Manager

I used to play a lot of poker with friends and stuff, and always thought I was alright at it. But I never made the jump to playing online for money. I guess I've never been quite sure how you can know that you're playing against real opponents and not a bunch of people who have all pooled together and are cheating. How do online sites prevent this?

My mate from school is now a big star poker player, Chris Moorman.

Don't see him much these days. He was always pretty autistic, could do rain man style maths tricks (instantly knowing square roots or the square of large numbers).

I went through this thread looking for someone from London who I could bug about getting me a job, nevermind.

Part-time in a book shop, the rest I'm trying to learn to be a black cab driver, for some reason.

interior designer and artist(do hand-drawn artist's impressions) for a fancy interior design company. i have half an engineering degree and half a fine art degree (not like there's any such thing as half a degree) and interior design qualifications but not a degree. my 2 'half degrees' are quite a good fit for what i do now. i've worked here for 12 years and still enjoy the job and people i work with (mostly)... i get a lot of satisfaction seeing finished projects and happy customers... i'm paid reasonably well but not enough that mrs.k can stay off work and i often feel like i should be doing better so i'm usually looking for openings elsewhere.

my dream job is architect but i didn't realise it until i got into interior design and i'm too old and 'familied' up now to start studying for 7 years... i get to do architecty type things i suppose in property renovations and developments (interior and exterior) so this'll do me.

i'm pretty happy overall.

Chen, all this time in my head I'd held you up as the alpha geek. The guy who has all the geeky interests but also has his life in complete, perfect working order. I'd aspired to be like that and now my foundations are rocked. I don't even know what to do with myself anymore!

(for reals I hope you sort shit out!)

Basically the topic title. What do you do for work? Do you have a job? Are you a student? Did you get a degree for your job? Are you happy with your job? What is your dream job?

Jesus, so many questions. But ultimately... Are you happy with your life?

I work at Trader Joe's, which is the best retail gig you can ask for, but I feel like my brain is atrophying. I have a Bachelor's degree in Marketing, because when you're 18 and you have to pick a major... I just ended up sticking with it. When I got out of school, I did not like what a soul sucking marketing degree had in store for me, so I decided to do a backflip and a 180 through a loop de loop. In the fall, I took a job training course at a well respected technical school for biomanufacturing, which is a booming industry in my state. So I'm hard at work job hunting. Can't wait to actually feel like an adult.

Archived