IGNORED

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

cear

see, fribas' opinion i can get, he's always lush as fuck. awe/erlich's too. but there sure is a lot of spergin for spergins sake in here. IT'S NOT AUTECHRE RABBLE RABBLE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD.

i wonder if some of you people can remember what a regular kick drum or hat sounds like.

so everyone who doesnt like this god damn album has autism? sorry we all dont like god damn retro-disco badly done.

I like Daft Punk's first two album (and the Alive 2007 thing was great too).

I think i'm more hostile towards the reaction from the media, its just too much. Normally when i dont like an album i either make one post saying i dont like it or i'll just dont post at all and forget about it but i think there is a lot to say about the reaction from so-called music experts.

And again kaini, you just can't comprehend that people might not like the things you like. Maybe you are the autistic one.

you are not lush.

and you shouldn't care about the media. what do YOU think about it? why do you care what paul morley or $pitchfork_journalist$ or anyone, ANYONE but YOU think about it. i'm not a music expert, however if i like something and the weird version of 'popular opinion' on this site (not enough glitches, didn't sample enough broken elevators, someone's girlfriend might dance to it) goes against it, i might express my appreciation. most of the time i couldn't be bothered.

but once again, it's about you, yo303. i didn't like it, omg kaini did. he hates me.

you tool. you complete and utter tool.

go outside once in a while. the resolution is excellent, but the AI is only comparable to yours.

wow you always take it to a personal level, shows the class of person you are.

And you are the ones calling people autistic for not liking the album so lol's on you.

Edited by Deer

And by the way i thought your review was sensible.

"i don't think it's innovative.

i do think it's fun and i enjoyed listening to it."

Apart from calling people who dont like the album autistics i dont have a problem with your views on this album (and why should i, lol)

Edited by Deer

Well that's all well and good but we're talking about Random Memory Access, not Discovery.

To make it clear - I think this is a good album, it's just remarkably inessential. It's not what I wanted to hear personally but that's not fair for me to inject in my criticism of it. A lot of really positive or really negative reviews seem to be based off personal bias to the point where objective facts are either ignored or flat-out denied, and I find that very annoying. These tracks are structurally as well-written and musically complex, if not more so actually, than their previous work. Now I think it's a valid debate regarding the aesthetic and their overall concept for the album, it's relevance, their artistic merits, etc and we should discuss that.

One last thought, and I'm sure it's been touched upon already - but I'm realizing this album has less and less to do with their previous 3 - in the past they were always rooted in house music. Discovery had it's moments of what is the core of Random Access Memories with the saccharine and very 70s sounding synth solo on "Digital Love" (using the same Wurlitzer model Supertramp used) or the guitar plucking on "Something About Us." Without actually saying it, they've made a pretty deliberate decision to completely abandon their house roots, which they notably cited in the past, and in their effort to give "life back to music" they embraced some of the most quintessential and stereotypical pop sounds from decades ago. It's almost like they've said "we're making real music and therefore this is not club music" but I doubt they meant that at all. Surely some will make that claim and call it an odd sort of selling out.

I should have elaborated, my criticism was on what they said in interviews about RAM: http://pitchfork.com/features/cover-story/reader/daft-punk/

They criticized computers/laptops as being too easy to make music, and say the music created with them is lifeless and disposable. It is quite a hypocritical thing to say when the music that made them famous was just about the easiest type of music to make. I never had personal bias for them until they started saying all these condescending and pretentious things. I mean, how can they criticize laptop musicians for not playing "real instruments" when they have to hire musicians to do it? They wouldn't have money had they not sampled songs from other musicians.

But regardless, the new album is bad. I disagree that they've abandoned their house roots... House's roots is disco. House started as a post disco movement - conincidently in Chicago, which is also where disco died: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco_Demolition_Night

I haven't read the interview, and I see what you're getting at. Personally I think they meant well but their goals were vague yet grandiose and the end result was remarkably mediorce. The only brave reviews of RAM will be those that deem it "ok." I'm with Kaini in the sense that I enjoyed it and really don't feel the need nor motivation to digest the ridiculous love and hatred for this album. I myself would of totally reacted in a far more negative manner a few years ago TBH. It's futile for me to really asses and vent any frustrations about it's hype.

To me Daft Punk were the Skrillex of their era. Even Fatboy Slim and the Chemical Brothers are more reputable musicians. I never did nor still do not understand how Daft Punk escaped being totally left in the dust in terms of long term electronic music fan appreciation.

Good point. Like many others who are in the mid-20s on the board my introduction to electronic music was very much ushered in by the Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, Daft Punk, and Basement Jaxx. I vividly remember seeing the video for "Digital Love" when I lived in the UK and listened to very music at all, and it was the video itself I remember more than anything. I agree with you, Fatboy Slim and the Chemical Brothers are also far better DJs as well. They were true crate diggers and vinyl fanatics, whereas Daft Punk were decent rave DJs - the Chemical Brothers in particular had elaborate live shows with improvised looping and sample triggering and excellent visuals years before Daft Punk's Pyramid shows. I'm a huge Chemical Brothers fan, but that bias aside, I still think they transitioned the best (Basement Jaxx as well, though they've really never changed their sound either).

I never did nor still do not understand how Daft Punk escaped being totally left in the dust in terms of long term electronic music fan appreciation.

Really good image management.

And good timing - big beat faded from "mainstream" success quickly. Daft Punk stayed relevant to those who spun electrohouse and all of the disco and house revival fads (electroclash, dance punk, etc) of the 00s. They had a full-length film that won them fans among more casual electronic music listeners with Interstella 5555. They were keen to put their music in commercials. They had the same industry collaborators as their peers: Gondry and Spike Jonze for videos, support from MTV and major labels. Daft Punk was more in tune with the actual club scene, and maybe as Parisians they could, and would, network more extensively. This is a huge generalization, but UK producers have always seemed a bit more detached from fame and fortune and more apt toward their craft as musicians.

It must feel nice to be someone like Autechre (just an example dont jump on me) and witness the reaction to this album, Daft Punk being called innovators for doing some retro-bullshit that has been done before a million times while there are true artists out there that are true innovators and they dont get the recognition this bullshit album is getting.

My father in law got me a subscription to Rolling Stone magazine (have no idea why). he knows I'm 'into music' so i guess that's why he got it for me. Anyways, the amount of times they hold up totally derivative and samey artist as 'innovative' is astounding as fuck. The way they talk about Frank Ocean or the Knife you'd think they were talking about fucking Stockhausen or something. It's beyond insane.

It's moments like this album's hype that re-affirm there will always been communities of artists and fans who with far more knowledge and appreciation of music and it's history than the fucking hacks who write for godawful bullshit media outlets for assholes who probably don't read the fucking content to begin with. It's too maddening to try to fight or correct, best just to laugh it off and speak with others who understand you. After all, no one's going to remember the crappy articles you mention.

Rolling Stone is strange because they made their name in the 70s but have always missed the mark since the 80s (snubbing hip-hop and metal, giving mediocre reviews to albums they later placed in top 100 retrospective lists). I suppose it's their pop culture name recognition and political/investigative articles that keep them afloat. People just assume they're the New York Times of music journalism.

Edited by joshuatx

My favorite tweets about RAM:

https://twitter.com/shallowrewards/status/334334697452736512

https://twitter.com/CFCFmusic/status/334147384437256192

That Chill Gonzales guy sounds like such a pompous douchebag:

Chilly Gonzales on the potential impact of Random Access Memories: "It will lead many musicians out of the cul-de-sac they currently face. And those that do not understand will be cursed to make disposable music on laptops forever.

i'm speculating that Random Access Memories is a compilation/forerunner album to a proper new Daft Punk album (no feats), that has been kept secrete, hence all the feats, the lush last couple minutes, and the freaking title.

you heard it hear first.

Edited by impotentwhitecapitalist

Guest cult fiction

i'm speculating that Random Access Memories is a compilation/forerunner album to a proper new Daft Punk album (no feats), that has been kept secrete, hence all the feats, the lush last couple minutes, and the freaking title.

you heard it hear first.

While you're probably joking, this is something fans say every time they don't like a new album - has it ever actually been true?

I'll bet some OK Computer fans were convinced a "proper" Radiohead album would be coming out soon after Kid A... and they got Amnesiac...

i mean Random Access Memories is the title, so you guys should be expecting some throwbacks to old disco and whatnot, and with 'random' implying all those feats... this is not a real daft punk album, please... we can only hope it/s a somewhat fun album to hype us up to the real one.

other than this speculation i don't give two shits about daft punk, i'm def not a big fan. i just like speculating for fun

Edited by impotentwhitecapitalist

i don't have daft punk-related dreams, i have no emotional investment in their sounds. i didn't grow up with them, they didn't trigger some paradigm-shifting revelation in me, or anything, they've just made me bob my head on a few occasions. i don't give a fuck

Guest cult fiction

They don't want you to bob your head anymore, they want you to listen to Giorgio Moroder talk about his life.

that song fucking sucks and it needs to die of anal sadness

It is now unavoidable that my next band will be called anal sadness

i mean Random Access Memories is the title, so you guys should be expecting some throwbacks to old disco and whatnot, and with 'random' implying all those feats... this is not a real daft punk album, please... we can only hope it/s a somewhat fun album to hype us up to the real one.

Maybe if they had called it Bad Album I would've loved it.