IGNORED

Downton Abbey

J3FF3R00

Ok, I know all of you Brits have already seen all or more of the 3rd season by now...

... but, holy shit.

This show is so good. I was hooked from the start. At time, my confidence has wavered, but the show always wins me back.

If you hate the show or want to troll and talk shit, take it someplace else.

There's nothin but love for the goods in here. Mad respect.

tumblr_ma60aiarpz1qgiq62o1_500.gif

Haters gonna hate.

Guest RadarJammer

I like how they don't milk scenes like weddings and stuff. In american drama if there was a wedding there would be a whole annoying episode devoted to it but in Downton Abbey they gloss over major events and even skip whole days/weeks from one scene to the next. It's also kooky how they constantly cut music in the middle of a note. My mom doesn't see what the big deal is, total role reversal.

I love it too, typical well-executed British drama about a subject most 21st century working class people can't relate to but find fascinating. I'm literally awaiting the Earl of Grantum to say something like "A real job!? But mismanaging an archaic manor estate is the British Way!" :trashbear:

If all else fails and it's a mediocre episode, at least Maggie Smith utters something funny.

No idea how brutal the conclusion will be - perhaps like the series end of Little House On The Prairie everyone shows up to blow the town up with dynamite.

i saw an episode of this once and it was full of white ppl it was awful.

there was an irish guy who was giving them some shit but then he married into the famly and was cool with the british fucking over ireland all of a sudden :s

also it was very much OH DEAR WE MIGHT LOSE THE MANOR :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( oh dear the shame of living like a piece of shit commoner untill i die OH LORD THAT CANT HAPPEN fuck off

Edited by RichieBees

Try watching from the beginning.

Most shows, these days, look like complete trash if you haven't followed all of the story/character arcs from the start.

This is one of those kinda shows.

Guest Mirezzi

sounds like season 3 is good. My wife and I dropped off after season 2. Maybe we should pick that shit back up.

No, you shouldn't. The show should have ended after its first season, which was "quite good".

Season two and three are laughable for the most part. Bad lols, not good ones. Like facepalming, cringing, etc.

Guest Mirezzi

I just finished the 4th or 5th episode of season 3. Shit just majorly went down. I usually watch with a small group. We were all crying.

I am one of the most vocal critics of S2 and S3, but the shit with Sybil really caught my wife and I off guard. We weren't crying, but it was horrifyingly sad. I probably wanted to cry but had to flex my man muscles through the pain. My wife kinda looked to me for permission to cry and since I wasn't crying, she didn't either. We should have just let loose and enjoyed the ride.

sounds like season 3 is good. My wife and I dropped off after season 2. Maybe we should pick that shit back up.

No, you shouldn't. The show should have ended after its first season, which was "quite good".

Season two and three are laughable for the most part. Bad lols, not good ones. Like facepalming, cringing, etc.

No. It's good.

At the beginning of S3, I thought it would fly off the rails. It hasn't.

I was expecting them to just throw Shirley McClaine in every scene to try and make it goofy, but she's hardly in it. The show is still fundamentally a soap opera, but its a soap with great acting, great writing, great camera work, great locations and incredible costume design.

I can safely say I have never watched more than 5 minutes of this show at once, its just not my kinda thing. My fiancee loves it though.

I live in the town where the village and church scenes are filmed - and I am getting married in the church used in the series! It is very pretty. When they are in town filming you get loads of vintage cars driving about, random hay bales left in the streets etc... the wedding scene was cool they added loads of bunting up and down the road and stuff.

imgBamptonTower1.jpg

Apparently the day after we booked our service with the Reverend, an episode was aired where

someone got jilted at the alter

LOL?

This was filmed opposite the church

TV-aerial-2.jpg

Someone has spotted that they never removed the TV aerial for filming. The crew go around and cover up signs / paint peoples doors / add extra pub signs and stuff - the pub shown in the photo above is actually someones house now but it used to be a pub many years ago. They cover up a dog poo bin by sticking a mock-up of an old fashioned post box over the top!

The crew (and also plenty of the cast) have been seen drinking in the town pubs after a days shooting but i've never spotted Maggie Smith yet.

I should also point out that they advertise for extra's each series - If I didn't have a full time job I would probably have a go as they were after local people with well behaved dogs to walk about in the background. Probably be boring as hell though, all for like 10 seconds of fame?!

Edited by feltcher

Guest Mirezzi

The show is still fundamentally a soap opera, but its a soap with great acting, great writing, great camera work, great locations and incredible costume design.

It was in season one and it's been shit ever since. The prison stuff with Bates is quite literally some of the most boring nonsense ever put into a camera.

Then you have the same stories repeating themselves over and over and over again, it's beyond fucking tedious.

For instance:

In season one, Bates and Anna want to fuck but can't quite pull it off. No problem, we get to see them try and fail for two more seasons. That story apparently never gets old.

Same shit with Barrow and O'Brien, taking turns being the most evil fuckers in all of Downton.

Mr. Carson gets sick, barely survives, but does. It's all very heartwearming.

Ms. Pattmore gets sick and almost loses her eyes. No problem, she gets it sorted. It's all very heartwearming.

Mrs. Hughes gets sick and almost dies, but doesn't. It's all very heartwearming.

Daisy has an oaf of a footman, William, trying to fuck her. He kicks it in the war. No problem. They lined up another oaf of a footman to try to fuck her, except this time he fancies another bitch.

Lady Edith would like a fuck. Nope, never gonna happen. Let's keep having Lucy line up the football though, so Edith can try to kick it.

How can people find this shit interesting over and over and over again?

Last post.

Sorry, Jefferoo, but I felt it worth posting one substantive voice of dissent!

Edited by The Overlook

The show is still fundamentally a soap opera, but its a soap with great acting, great writing, great camera work, great locations and incredible costume design.

Sorry, Jefferoo, but I felt it worth posting one substantive voice of dissent!

Don't apologize to me. Apologize to your soul.

watched a few episodes with a friend.

decent acting, but absolutely disgusting romanticised display of upper-class English cunts, along with the "goofy! cheery!" lower-class peasants working their asses off in a kitchen or beating dusty rugs outside or some shit....oh those silly commoners, when will they ever learn to behave like the nobility!

while I somewhat "like" the storylines (and I mean like rather loosely), this drama seems disturbingly close to exploitation. show me some real, authentic class rifts rather than this shit Uncle Tom's Cabin version of the lower-class maids sole concern being to get wet with some slick haired young asshole while fighting amongst each other to suck off the upper class tit.

PS. Matthew is a boring, constantly depressed cunt.

PPS. Maggie Grace is the only somewhat tolerable character, because she at least seems self-aware of her portrayal of some dried up ignorant fool from last centuries' aristocracy.

i saw an episode of this once and it was full of white ppl it was awful.

there was an irish guy who was giving them some shit but then he married into the famly and was cool with the british fucking over ireland all of a sudden :s

also it was very much OH DEAR WE MIGHT LOSE THE MANOR :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( oh dear the shame of living like a piece of shit commoner untill i die OH LORD THAT CANT HAPPEN fuck off

lol

Guest Mirezzi

jefferoo - are you the guy who was a big fan of drum-n-bass / jungle that I used to talk to all the time during the days when we had a shoutcast set up at WATMM?

jefferoo - are you the guy who was a big fan of drum-n-bass / jungle that I used to talk to all the time during the days when we had a shoutcast set up at WATMM?

Maybe.

I'm a huge jungle head.

I don't remember the shoutcast. Was that like CHATMM?

Guest Mirezzi

Maybe.

I'm a huge jungle head.

I don't remember the shoutcast. Was that like CHATMM?

It was that thing where we could play music via a jukebox type Winamp plugin thingy. Oh, shit. It was called WATMM Radio! Theocide very vocally supported it but it disappeared more often than not.

I could have sworn it was you. We exchanged love for several artists, maybe even Science records stuff?

Edited by The Overlook