kaini

mah god.

Caze are you adopting adults by chance? OMW!

That's for feeding 6 on Christmas, and basically the same dinner again the following day (minus the sprouts probably, because I don't have a blender in my folks gaff, and so will have to shred them by hand, which is a pain in the arse, not doing that twice - boiled sprouts are really terrible btw, but with this method they're delicious). Plus there'll be turkey meat and ham left over for sandwiches for a few days more.

First day of no meat (doing the whole, vegetarian once a week thing).

So far so good, no cravings, low calorie doesn't seem to be hitting me yet (I'm not starving or anything?).

Doing a Thai red curry for dinner tonight with some jasmine rice.

Pretty much this recipe here with a few small tweaks (http://minimalistbaker.com/coconut-red-curry-with-chickpeas/).

• 4 weeks later...

just finished the curry I spent all day making, was lush. 

marinated some chicken breasts (about 6 large ones, chopped into medium chunks) overnight in ginger/garlic paste (about 15g of each), juice of 1 lemon, 4 tbsp yogurt, 2 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp tandoori masala, and 4 tsp kashmiri chilli powder (the really red but not very spicy one) and cooked in the oven at full whack (~250c) for 20mins.

made an onion/tomato/whole spice stock:

2 small onions, 5 tomatoes, roughly chopped, added to the following whole spices which were added to some hot oil for 30 seconds (1 tsp cumin, 2 tsp coriander, 1 tsp black cumin, 1 mace, 2-3 bits of cassia bark, 2 black and 4 green cardamoms and a few cloves) and 4 tsp of my standard ground curry mix - cooked for an hour over a medium simmer, adding around 500ml water to keep it from sticking, sieved the result to get a fairly thin base sauce.

also made a cashew nut paste by dry frying and then boiling 1 cup of cashews in 250ml milk for 30 mins (added another 250ml water during cooking). blended the result with an immersion blender and added enough water to make 500ml of paste. only used half, stuck the rest in the freezer.

dry roasted and ground up 1tsp each of melon seeds, urad dal, poppy and sesame seeds and added that to 1 tbsp each of coconut and almond powder.

brought everything together at the end by frying some fresh chilli, ginger/garlic paste, tomato puree, added the stock slowly, then added the cashew paste, jaggery, and lemon juice, a bit more garam masala, 50ml cream and a drop of water to thin it out a bit. added in the cooked chicken.

served with naan and pilau rice. 

really would've been nice to have had the lovely rioja that's sitting in my press with it, but still got a week and a bit to go before I can fully enjoy food again.

• 2 months later...

tonight's dinner, fillet steak, chips, green beans:

before:

http://i.imgur.com/2FXfmjZ.jpg

seasoned the fillet with coarse sea salt and some peanut oil, sealed on a cast iron pan for 5 mins until nice and brown on all sides, added a knob of butter and basted the steak, cooked in a 175 degree oven for 10ish mins.

after:

http://i.imgur.com/Tm3bvB4.jpg

making pepper sauce:

(added 1/4 cup brandy to the pan the steak was cooked in, lit it, giant fireball, no hair on my arms now, added a knob of butter, 1 chopped shallot, 1 clove of garlic pureed with a knife, 1 tsp dijon mustard, juices from steak, 150ml cream, 1tbsp of pepper corns ground in pestle and mortar, drop of water)

http://i.imgur.com/idV0bdO.jpg

end result:

http://i.imgur.com/rZcVOeD.jpg

Edited by caze

Haven't perfected the proportions, but here's the basic constituents of a mixed drink of my own design:

White Jamaican

coconut milk

spiced rum

"green dragon" cannabis tincture. This is the best method for making it except you should should definitely use grain alcohol (Everclear) instead of 151 if it's legal in your state.  If you make it right, 2-3 drops will be plenty to keep you occupied for the next 6 hours or so.

ice

Edited by RSP

before:

seasoned the fillet with coarse sea salt and some peanut oil, sealed on a cast iron pan for 5 mins until nice and brown on all sides, added a knob of butter and basted the steak, cooked in a 175 degree oven for 10ish mins.

after:

making pepper sauce:

(added 1/4 cup brandy to the pan the steak was cooked in, lit it, giant fireball, no hair on my arms now, added a knob of butter, 1 chopped shallot, 1 clove of garlic pureed with a knife, 1 tsp dijon mustard, juices from steak, 150ml cream, 1tbsp of pepper corns ground in pestle and mortar, drop of water)

end result:

and you're sure you're not adopting... adults?

Breakfast Pancakes

3 bananas

3 eggs

Mash and beat together

Add handful of raisins or other fruit chunks

Heat pan with coconut oil and fry a large spoonful about 1 minute each side. Can do about 3 at a time in the pan i use.

Serves 2-3 for breakfast, add a drop of honey on top if you want them sweet.

before:

after:

making pepper sauce:

end result:

You should buy a sous vide machine

Some vegan cooking for y'all, very filling and tasty. I made a larger batch but a single serving should be something like this

Quinoa

Half a banana

1/3rd zucchini

Carrot

1/3rd red onion

Half a garlic clove

Green beans

Liquid honey

Chili sauce
Herbal salt (or whatever you like)

Roast (oil and heat) then boil your quinoa 

halfway through the boil, heat oil in a 2nd pan, then chop up and stir fry banana, zucchini, carrot, onion and garlic. Add chili sauce and a generous amount of liquid honey while in the pan, allow to settle, you want it to singe and caramelize a tiny bit. Add green beans and season to taste. Bon appetit!  

Edited by chim

• 2 years later...

Finally learning to cook after *cough* many years, so staring slowly but pretty successful so far.  My easiest dish that has become popular in the household:

Roasted Garlic Vegetables with Rosemary

1 baking sheet

1 bag baby carrots

1 bag brussels sprouts

1 bag cherry tomatoes

4 cloves garlic

olive /avocado/ sunflower etc. oil

2 sprigs rosemary

sea salt / Himalayan salt (preference)

black pepper

red pepper flakes (preference)

- Preheat over to 400F

Half the carrots and sprouts, press garlic

keep tomatoes whole to keep skin intact (possibly half some if they are oblong and larger)

after cutting, spread all veggies evenly on sheet, drizzle oil generously on entire spread

spoon garlic as evenly as possible on sheet

strip off rosemary needles, garnish veggies

now, get your hands in there and mix it all up so it looks like a nice even spread of colors, get oil and garlic on as much as possible

bake entire sheet of veggies in oven for 30-35 min @ 400F, checking occasionally so as to avoid completely burned veggies, you want some crispy brown edges but not burned

*we like the garlic to take the edge off the bitterness of the sprouts, but use as much or little as you prefer, the rosemary adds a nice scent and flavor

serve right after taking out of oven, but reheats nicely, if a little more soggy, after a night in the fridge

• 3 weeks later...

can someone help me with my ghetto curry recipe?

i've been buying these tasty bite indian dishes

Spoiler

15749-Indian-Bombay-Potatoes_FOP_3D_Rend

and they are quite plain tasting imo so adding my own spices

my recipe:

1 pack of tasty bites ©

3/4 water ( for more substance )

1 teaspoon ginger

salt

a splash of sriracha

1 teaspoon of curry powder 
(which i recently changed to

1/2 tsp curry powder and 1/2 tsp garam masala)

then i learnt that your supposed to add garam masala at the end of cooking as a flavor enhancer

I need an opinion on how much curry powder to use and how much garam masala to use.

Generally it's about two servings

Serve on rice.

I sometimes add chicken.

I just took a fucking zucchini and grated it with a fine grate then grated a lot of parmesan on top of it and poured some olive oil on it and I also added a bit of sugar, salt and pepper. I mixed it all up with a fork and put it on a slice of whole-grain bread. Was fucking delicious

On 2/7/2020 at 4:17 AM, yekker said:

can someone help me with my ghetto curry recipe?

i've been buying these tasty bite indian dishes

Reveal hidden contents

15749-Indian-Bombay-Potatoes_FOP_3D_Rend

and they are quite plain tasting imo so adding my own spices

my recipe:

1 pack of tasty bites ©

3/4 water ( for more substance )

1 teaspoon ginger

salt

a splash of sriracha

1 teaspoon of curry powder 
(which i recently changed to

1/2 tsp curry powder and 1/2 tsp garam masala)

then i learnt that your supposed to add garam masala at the end of cooking as a flavor enhancer

I need an opinion on how much curry powder to use and how much garam masala to use.

Generally it's about two servings

Serve on rice.

I sometimes add chicken.

Something like a simple Indian Aloo (potato) dish which I think that tasty bites thing is trying to replicate is often spiced quite plainly, maybe even as simple as turmeric, cumin, a dried chilli.

Garam Masala can be used in different ways, its not always added at the end, you're fine adding it to curry powder.  Just remember that ground spices burn very easily and will go bitter.  Whenever I'm using ground spices I keep a glass of water next to me so I can quickly take the heat out of the pan if I need to.

With the ingredients above I would make a sort of Tarka.  Fat carries flavour so if you are simply stirring in these extra ingredients to the packet dish it probably will be bland.  Technically a Tarka is where you fry up some spices in oil/ghee either at the beginning or end of the cooking, but in English use if a recipe specifically mentions a Tarka it usually means at the end.  Look up 'Tarka recipes' for ideas, but from the above ingredients, gently fry some ginger in oil/butter (add a bit onion and garlic if you like), then add in the spices being extra careful not to burn them.  Hold the sriracha (it's thai, but use as a condiment if you want rather than cook with it).  Stir in the hot Tarka to the cooked tasty bites.  Taste at this point and season more if necessary.  If you're unsure of how much spice to use, make a bit more Tarka than you think you need and then just add it by spoonful and taste until you're happy. 

12 minutes ago, darreichungsform said:

Don't use curry powder, use curry paste.

If he was cooking a curry from scratch that might have some limited merit, but he was asking how to add flavour to a packet of vaguely Indian food with what he had to hand.  

I've reported you and requested a temporary ban.  I've never had joyrex refuse one of my requests in the 18 years I have been a respected member of this site, so perhaps use the time out to consider how not thinking before you post might affect people in real life. 

Look, I don't go spouting nonsense in the gay sadomasochistic techno thread because I don't spend my weekends taking Hans from Hamburg's girthsome cock up me shitpipe in the back of Schwuz.  What I'm trying to say is perhaps Germans should stick to what they know best and leave the recipe thread to those nationalities that can actually produce edible food.   

7 hours ago, kakapo said:

Something like a simple Indian Aloo (potato) dish which I think that tasty bites thing is trying to replicate is often spiced quite plainly, maybe even as simple as turmeric, cumin, a dried chilli.

Garam Masala can be used in different ways, its not always added at the end, you're fine adding it to curry powder.  Just remember that ground spices burn very easily and will go bitter.  Whenever I'm using ground spices I keep a glass of water next to me so I can quickly take the heat out of the pan if I need to.

With the ingredients above I would make a sort of Tarka.  Fat carries flavour so if you are simply stirring in these extra ingredients to the packet dish it probably will be bland.  Technically a Tarka is where you fry up some spices in oil/ghee either at the beginning or end of the cooking, but in English use if a recipe specifically mentions a Tarka it usually means at the end.  Look up 'Tarka recipes' for ideas, but from the above ingredients, gently fry some ginger in oil/butter (add a bit onion and garlic if you like), then add in the spices being extra careful not to burn them.  Hold the sriracha (it's thai, but use as a condiment if you want rather than cook with it).  Stir in the hot Tarka to the cooked tasty bites.  Taste at this point and season more if necessary.  If you're unsure of how much spice to use, make a bit more Tarka than you think you need and then just add it by spoonful and taste until you're happy. 

Oh man, great post. Thanks so much!

Edited by yekker