kaini

It's this stuff:

ing_pickled_radish.jpg

IMG_3090.jpg

It's quite tasty, very crunchy and yeah, you'll most likely find it in Korean/Chinese supermarkets.

The salad looks good, will give it a go.

a take-away in town puts a slice of that on every dish .. but cut in a star shape. pretty cool.

Edited by tauboo

So far I know how to make homemade curry, spaghetti, okonomiyaki, Spam musubi, yakisoba, jingisukan (Gengis Khan - Hokkaido regional dish), fried rice, sushi, and pho.

Usually I can't be arsed to make precise measurements on ingredients though.

I've copied this from an old food thread where I posted a couple of recipes...

Red curry dish

Chicken
Coconut milk
Red Curry Paste
Fish Sauce
Sugar
Kaffir Lime Leaves
Red Pepper Fruit
Egg plant
Rice
Oil

Pour some oil in a pot, put in the red curry paste (it's hard to say how much because some red curry paste is hot as hell but I usually put in a lump half the size of a postit note) and wait a couple of minutes until the oil starts to do its magic. Just make sure not to burn the curry paste because it'll taste like shit. Pour in the coconut milk (1-2 cans (300 ml) for one person so you can add it up to how big your family is). Stir until the coconut milk gets red and then throw in the chicken (sliced up chicken that is) and let it fry/boil. Chop up the pepper fruits, egg plant, and kaffir lime and let it boil for a minute or so. Put in 1 spoonful of fish sauce and don't get any on your hands because it'll make you puke. Also, if you want to add a little extra to the dish, you should get some lemon grass. Beat the shit out of it with a hammer or the bottom of a knife) and throw it into the pot.

RedCurry.jpg

Fresh springrolls

Rice wrappers/Rice Paper Pancakes
All sorts of chopped up vegetables (cucumber, pepper fruits, carrots, spring onion and so on...)
Coriander
Fresh sweet basil/Thai basil
Bean sprouts
Some
sort of meat (red meat, shrimps, chicken or whatever you feel like. I'd
recommend frying the shrimps and/or the chicken in soya sauce, chili,
honey, and ginger)
Peanut butter dressing
Sriracha sauce
And a bowl of water

Put
all the ingredients on the table, put a rice pancake in the bowl of
water and take it out once it has gone soft. Dry it, put it on your
plate and start putting your desired ingredients onto the pancake. Once
you're done, wrap it up and it eat. Yum.

It's not that often that
you get FRESH vegetables. People usually fry or boil the shit out of
vegetables so it's nice to eat raw vegatables for a change.

Look at that!

rolls.jpg

Oh nice, I'm gonna have to try that spring roll recipe, I love spring rolls, but the local asian delivery place makes pretty shitty ones. Time to do it myself I guess.

Squee, that red curry looks AMAZING.

Alright guys, be prepared for awesomeness. Following is the recipe for some pretty damn amazing potato patties that my nonna passed down to my mum:

Nonna Modey's Amazing Potato Patties

3.0x large potatoes
0.5x cup of romano cheese (umm, hope this isn't called something drastically different in your American dialects; it's quite different to parmesan though so don't use parmesan)
Tiny little bit of parsley (just a sprinkle)
Less than a teaspoon of salt (seriously, just a couple of pinches I guess)
3.0x eggs
1.5x cup self raising flour

CHOP potatoes into 10mm cubes, maybe even a little smaller.

BOIL the potatoes until they're just cooked enough to not be crunchy, but leave them a little firm.

MIX all the ingredients together in a bowl. Leave the potatoes a little bit chunky; it adds a nice texture in the end product. The mixture should be slightly sticky but not too runny. If it's too runny, add a bit more flour.. or if it's too dry, add another egg.
HEAT half a cup of oil in a frying pan, on medium heat. Using a spoon or oiled fingers, extract small amounts of the mixture (enough to make a 40x50x10mm disc each time).
FRY until golden brown on both sides. I like to flip each patty a few times just so they don't fall apart while cooking them. They'd probably cook really nicely in a deep fryer; alas, I don't own one so I just shallow-fry them. They're more disc-shaped this way.
PLACE cooked patties on a plate and sprinkle with a bit more romano, just for texture.
These are the BEST stoner food (they go nicely with a chilli dipping sauce).
I also just realised that they could be re-purposed into vegetarian burger patties if you're that way inclined. Just make them about 400% larger.
Edited by modey

My go-to recipe when I want something simple is Anthony Bourdain's carbonara from when he went to Rome.

Dead easy and really authentic.

For 2:

- Stick some spaghetti in a pan and boil

- Heat up a large frying pan and add some pancetta or chopped up smoky bacon

- When the meat is cooked put to one side

- Mix 50g parmesan and 50g pecorino romano together. Mix in an egg (as fresh as possible) and lots of pepper

- Drain the spaghetti and put in the frying pan (off the heat). mix in the cheesy-egg mixture and the meat and a little bit of pasta water.

If you want to use up some stuff we've had it with mushrooms, peas, courgettes etc. Really versatile and great comfort food.

a pet hate of mine is when you get a carbonara in ireland and it has cream in it. carbonara DOES NOT HAVE CREAM IN IT, yet everywhere here seems to put it in.

a pet hate of mine is when you get a carbonara in ireland and it has cream in it. carbonara DOES NOT HAVE CREAM IN IT, yet everywhere here seems to put it in.

yeah it seems weird that people do that when it just doesn't need it and it isn't in any way traditional.

The one thing I've noticed is how important fresh eggs are, and I'm talking from a farm or butchers or somewhere. They're probably a good 4/5 days fresher than the supermarket and it makes such a difference. Use them to make scrambled egg and it pretty much glows in the dark it's so orange!

• 4 months later...

DSC_0070_zps7bd259e8.jpg

Asparagus, broad bean and mint quiche.

Damn good. First thing I've made with home grown (allotment) produce. Can't be arsed to type now but if anyone wants the full recipe let me know.

Not really a recipe but here's a video of Sprillian and I pimping some noodles that we made for the Ramen Rater last year:

(as in we made the video for RR, not the noodles)

777th post!

Yes!

Edited by hello spiral

Ok, so a friend showed me this.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2012/04/recipe-for-southwestern-quinoa-salad.html

MLtEiTJ.jpg

Tsr9oJ4.jpg

I add avocado as you can see to the recipe. I also skip the spike seasoning that shit is wack. Also, use my own amounts of ingredients, and use almond or avocado oil instead of olive oil. Increase the amounts of limes used as well.

Edited by AdieuErsatzEnnui

that looks amazing adieu!

My go-to recipe when I want something simple is Anthony Bourdain's carbonara from when he went to Rome.

Dead easy and really authentic.

For 2:

- Stick some spaghetti in a pan and boil

- Heat up a large frying pan and add some pancetta or chopped up smoky bacon

- When the meat is cooked put to one side

- Mix 50g parmesan and 50g pecorino romano together. Mix in an egg (as fresh as possible) and lots of pepper

- Drain the spaghetti and put in the frying pan (off the heat). mix in the cheesy-egg mixture and the meat and a little bit of pasta water.

If you want to use up some stuff we've had it with mushrooms, peas, courgettes etc. Really versatile and great comfort food.

saw this post earlier in the week and immediately went and made some (with a bunch of spinach added because i had too much). it'd been a while since i'd made carbonara and it turned out great, thanks for the suggestion :cool:

Edited by luke viia

i love that recipe aswell, with one alteration instead of one entire egg, i use 5 yolks and 2 green chillies aswell. creamy and delicious, with a nice kick. i pinched it off a site, i think its one of the famous chefs versions.

my cooking has been getting alot better actually, still nowhere near improvisation skill, but ive been making some cool shit from recipes online.

tonight i had spiced lamb meatball ciabattas with a tomato/jalepeno salsa and melted mozzeralla. bangin'.