IGNORED

Moderat - Moderat II

Blir

• 2 weeks later...

You know, I'm always a bit hesitant to geek out over collaborations, they're rarely bad but often flash-in-the-pan releases. But Moderat II really exceeded my expectations. Perfect pairing style wise, you can tell they really put a lot time and effort into the album.

It took every bit of self-control I had earlier not to buy the deluxe LP as it looks so nice, in addition to (probably) being something that I'm going to love musically.

Luckily the stream is still online, which will appease me for a bit.

not bowled over by this yet, certainly the music is less anthemic that the first album, less memorable?

Needs more listens, but im not getting instant earworms like i did from the first album,

slightly underwhelmed at present, but hoping that will change.

I'm not digging this at all, feels very eh... bland. Nothing really stands out except for the first single.

I'm not digging this at all, feels very eh... bland. Nothing really stands out except for the first single.

yup- the first one had so many exceptional tracks- Rusty Nails, Out Of Sight, A New Error and the Shackleton rework. Ohh, and I really like the track with Busdriver.

The second one had my high expectations and failed miserably. No really magic and not the anthemic quality of the first one.

Don't like "Milk", 10 minutes of going hardly anywhere. Could easily be half the length and still get its point across.

Definitely more vocal tracks - less club orientated album IMO.

I remember being completely fucking blown to pieces by the first album and rushing to see them live.

This is well produced but definitely a step down in terms of impact.

I still can't get over this line in the pitchfork review (7.4)

But it’s topped by a vocal that’s afflicted with the kind of generic Euro-soul inflection that American ears have a hard time dealing with, and the juxtaposition between the aggressive synths and airy pop vocals weakens the former rather than creating an interesting contrast.

oh right, the same vocals and synth combination that makes up EVERY FUCKING POPPY ELECTRONIC TRACK THEY'VE PROMOTED AS "BEST NEW MUSIC" IN 2013

I can tell you how that staff meeting went:

Writer: "Hey, Moderat II is quite good, I'm thinking 8.1 and BMN"

Editor: "Nah...it's their second album and they were successful before we reviewed them. Let RA and FACT jizz over it or whatever, put it in the 7s"

Writer: "What's the criticism then?"

Editor: "I dunno, just take a mere description of the music and say that said quality is 'bad.' Instead of 'synths + soulful vocals' write 'pssh, synths + soulful vocals, geez this again...' or some shit."

Writer: "Oh ok, the usual."

80s-kid-thumbs-up-computer-yospos-136434

Guest trananhhung

Love the pitchfork quote. I'm liking the album more and more but it's quite far from the first one. It's just too homogenic. Oh, this word only exists in Bjork's dictionary.

Finally picked this up. Went with the deluxe CD in the end as it has a bonus track (in comparison to the vinyl). Also, the vinyl didn't come with a download or anything, which is a bit of a dealbreaker for me.

Anyway, can't wait to get home tonight and listen to this.

Deluxe edition CD is really nicely presented too. Weird that it's €17 on their label site, it was only £12 in HMV/Fopp.

Archived