IGNORED

Do you share Ae with others?

Guest Randolph Carter

Guest Gooble Gobble

Do any of you not like to turn people onto Ae? I find my self being VERY stingy with ae's music. Their music is something so personal and special to me that it's VERY hard to let others listen to it . I don't think most people I know would or could appreciate it on the level that I do. Autechre is more than just Sean and Rob making music together. I think about it this way... Once upon a time I was at a friends house shrooming and I was watching my friends brother draw. He had barely sketched out some type of gargoyle like creature when he stopped and decided to not finish it. The creature was looking back over its shoulder at you with a strange look of anger on its face, not an evil I'm going to jump off the page and kill you type of look, but a look my friends bro described like this.."Before I drew this creature he was free, now that he's on the page he is known and trapped". Ae's music is like that, not angry it's been made known, but it already exists, before Sean and Rob ever "create" it. It has a life of its own so to speak. The textures and sounds they "capture" are organic and free and happening all the time. To relate that to someone and try to have them understand Ae is like trying to look through someone else's eyes, it's impossible so why try. So that's why I don't like to let other people hear Ae, their music was made for me. While that might sound insanely egotistical, I know it's not true. I know they make their music for everyone, but I feel that others couldn't, shouldn't and won't appreciate it as I do. I feel if you're going to listen to Ae you have to immediately say that they are the greatest ever, if you won't agree to that then you have no right to even hear them for the first time! Does any of that make sense to you? Do you sometimes feel the same way? Do you hesitate to play Ae in the company of those who aren't hip to it already? Do you not play it because they might not like it or worse yet, say "Yeah, it's ok I guess"? OK? it's more than OK! it's the most beautiful music in the world. My world. The world inside my head, behind closed eyes, the music of my dreams.

Do any of you not like to turn people onto Ae? I find my self being VERY stingy with ae's music. Their music is something so personal and special to me that it's VERY hard to let others listen to it . I don't think most people I know would or could appreciate it on the level that I do. Autechre is more than just Sean and Rob making music together. I think about it this way... Once upon a time I was at a friends house shrooming and I was watching my friends brother draw. He had barely sketched out some type of gargoyle like creature when he stopped and decided to not finish it. The creature was looking back over its shoulder at you with a strange look of anger on its face, not an evil I'm going to jump off the page and kill you type of look, but a look my friends bro described like this.."Before I drew this creature he was free, now that he's on the page he is known and trapped". Ae's music is like that, not angry it's been made known, but it already exists, before Sean and Rob ever "create" it. It has a life of its own so to speak. The textures and sounds they "capture" are organic and free and happening all the time. To relate that to someone and try to have them understand Ae is like trying to look through someone else's eyes, it's impossible so why try. So that's why I don't like to let other people hear Ae, their music was made for me. While that might sound insanely egotistical, I know it's not true. I know they make their music for everyone, but I feel that others couldn't, shouldn't and won't appreciate it as I do. I feel if you're going to listen to Ae you have to immediately say that they are the greatest ever, if you won't agree to that then you have no right to even hear them for the first time! Does any of that make sense to you? Do you sometimes feel the same way? Do you hesitate to play Ae in the company of those who aren't hip to it already? Do you not play it because they might not like it or worse yet, say "Yeah, it's ok I guess"? OK? it's more than OK! it's the most beautiful music in the world. My world. The world inside my head, behind closed eyes, the music of my dreams.

Sad

Guest Iain C

Sad

You ain't wrong there mate

Guest Gooble Gobble

Sad

Why is that sad? Do you not understand the importance of their music? We don't need posers and those who are unappreciative of quality electronica listening to them.

Guest Iain C

Who the fuck's "we"?

You're full of yourself mate, it IS sad. but as well as that, it's hilarious. It's not your music. It's music for everyone. By treating it like some holy grail that only belongs to you, by believing in your own "superiority via Ae", guess what - you're the fuckin' poser!

this particular subforum is in danger of being boced we are going to have crying theads and all next.

Yeah wtf, can't people just appreciate music without obsessing over it? I think most of us really dig Autechre in this forum, personally it is my favorite music. But as Iain C said, it's music for everyone, and if other people don't like it, you should respect that without feeling all superior and shit. God damn, when did electronic music become Emo...

Sad

Why is that sad? Do you not understand the importance of their music? We don't need posers and those who are unappreciative of quality electronica listening to them.

I get the feeling that if Autechre saw you walking towards them on the street they would cross the road to avoid you.

You are setting new benchmarks in pretentiousness and must start to cotemplate life outside your bedroom.

it certainly takes a weird ear to filter AE through the system. I enjoy seeing peoples reactions when i play it for them at full volume during car rides between here and there. Some dig it, some dont... and for the ones that do it makes it that much better to listen to.

Yeah, I think Autechre is emotional. I listen to AE everywhere, I constantly think about their music too. But what the fuck is the whole "It's too personal to share" bollocks all about!? That's taking stupidity to the next level. That's taking stupidity and putting it in a sock, soaking it in lemon juice and smacking the Queen.

lets do some more similies...

...it's like when Allen Klein hid all those Alejandro Jodorowsky films from us so now its taking YEARS for them to come out on DVD!

Guest Iain C

It's like BoC squirrelling away all their old tunes so that they can get us all arrested for file sharing, then they can use their shady network of cultists (who have fully infiltrated prisons across the world) to extract our brains, which are swollen with top secret BoC hormones secretly implanted in there by their commercially released tracks. Then BoC and the other Hex-Sunners drink the hormones, getting so fucking high that they completely forget there's a new release due out and make the fanboys wait MOOOOOONTHS and years for it, prompting them to pirate stuff like the old tunes, and STARTING THE WHOLE DAMN CYCLE OVER AGAIN

or like when the plants grow to the size of large buildings and blanket the sky above with their foliage, depriving us of out sunlight thus bringing forth our slow but deadly adaptation into sewer rats with holes in our socks... which will then being grudge back into the music scene.

Guest Audiophile

ae are not real but advanced super computers built by ibm. computers dont have emotions silly :fear:

ae are not real but advanced super computers built by ibm. computers dont have emotions silly :fear:

computers are just as real as you or i... or are they? secondly machines are just as responsible for electronic music, gliche, drillNbass, ect as we are. if they werent around we'd all be beat boxing 'til out cheeks explode.

Guest vodor

Personally, I like to listen to autechre while I'm working on other things because it's inobtrusive and doesn't distract me with lyrics or vocals or anything like that. I've suggested autechre to all my friends and they all agree that it's the perfect background music! I'd have to say that my favorite album is Incunabula or maybe Amber. I can't really say which tracks are the best--they're all really good!

Guest Shining Rock

Sad

I get the feeling that if Autechre saw you walking towards them on the street they would cross the road to avoid you.

You are setting new benchmarks in pretentiousness and must start to cotemplate life outside your bedroom.

hahahaha oh man well put, yeah dude sure you like to feel all cool because deep inside you're waaay cooler than everyone else because you listen to good music, and if that helps you sleep at night then fine, but oh wait it doesn't mean squat, lots of people love autechre too, yes i agree it's beautiful and all that but that is the personal aspect of it that i think everyone experiences in a certain way, but don't make it sound like it's only there for you, the beauty is finding others like you that appreciate it too.

• 2 weeks later...

I share it with my gf, but not with the rest of my friends. They would feel superior to their friends, because they know AE. I'm superior. *cough* I don't like to share my music anyway. It's mine, and you can listen to it at my place, but I won't help you finding info about them, mp3's or whatever. Get it? :flower:

Guest DrHat

i don't share Ae with people because i know they wouldn't like it. christ, man, i have enough trouble getting my friends to listen to the richard d. james album. if i tried Ae, the result would probably be, "WHAT THE @^%!@ IS THIS CLICKY CRAP"

sorry but it's true.

but i don't think it's clicky crap. it's clicky crap that's great on acid.

Guest Audiophile

clicks and clacks. BLEEPS AND PEEPS. my brain likes it no one round here does so in my brain it stays.

Who the fuck's "we"?

You're full of yourself mate, it IS sad. but as well as that, it's hilarious. It's not your music. It's music for everyone. By treating it like some holy grail that only belongs to you, by believing in your own "superiority via Ae", guess what - you're the fuckin' poser!

He expressly warded off this response in his original post, saying that he knows it's not his music, but that he meant it as a figure of speech for how difficult it can be to get someone to hear what you hear in a piece of music, because listening can seem so personal. So any of you who jumped on this guy because he is 'egotistical' totally missed his point.

And frankly, it's all of your complaining and insulting that make these forums intolerable, not anybody's being a 'fanboy.' If you had tried to give him the benefit of the doubt and had a real conversation, this place might not be so obnoxiously squabbly and empty of content.

That said, I think I understand what you're saying, Gobble, but I don't agree fully. I don't often have success trying to get my friends into autechre. But I have tried hard to come up with actual reasons and things to listen for in the music, to try to get someone to hear it like I hear it. Even with that, she might not be able to take on my perspective on the music, and that could be a shortcoming of her listening, or it could be a faulty stance on the music of my own. But I don't think that no one could ever understand what listening to autechre means to me; I think someone might. And in hopes of that, I try to describe the experience as well as I can and to communicate some of my own feelings when I listen to their awesome tunes.

Archived