IGNORED

is horse meat readily available in your country?

keltoi

uk is currently going nuts over horse meat in ready made beef products. even 100% horse found in so called 'beef' lasagna. quite funny.

is it the norm to see horse on your supermarket shelves where you come from? i see the US and canada produce a fair bit for consumption...

is it nice? i've never tried it.

personally i don't see why it's off-limits to us... i mean a horse is more or less just a fitter cow and we breed cows to be even less athletic, no?

unexpected_horse_in_bagging_area_horseme

horsemeat+graphic.jpg

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is readily available across Canada, with the exception of Alberta (which is Canada's equivalent to Texas, people here have a long history with and affinity to horses).

I believe most of what we produce is for export, but Quebec is Canada's largest domestic consumer (and BC a close second).

Like you said, really what's the big deal? It's because most people think of horse as a domestic animal, a "friend" to humans just like cats or dogs etc.

Really, it's just another animal.

Whoa China's been cranking out the horse meat - pretty sure the U.S. was #1

I understand people who feel upset for eating an animal smarter and more personable than a cow, but then again pigs are quite intelligent and that doesn't stop people from eating pork. I really wish meat consumption was just more efficient. It's sick that millions of animals, mostly cats and dogs but also thousands of horses, are severely mistreated and neglected by people who insist on having pets, or even worse, breed them purely for quick money. There are hundreds of cases in Texas alone of people being fined and even arrested for neglecting horses. It sounds cruel, but I dunno...some loosened ideas about what's taboo to eat could make the deaths of so many animals like that much less of a waste and tragedy.

There's lots of stealth horse in our dry cured sausages, people just don't check the declarations.

I understand people who feel upset for eating an animal smarter and more personable than a cow,

most of the upset here is down to people being misled... buying a beef lasagna that's 0% beef, 100% horse meat or a burger that's 60% horse meat.

but yeah, i suppose culturally, we're (UK) against eating horse... while the french love it.

My grandfather had this block of horsemeat on the table each morning where he would slice chunks off. Like a badass mofo.

Horse meat can be bought at any butcher in Belgium. I think. Maybe things changed over the years. I remember eating it as a kid. Haven't eaten it in a very long time. I remember it went very well in an omelet. Damn I want a horsemeat omelet again.

Horsesteak is pretty popular here in Belgium. I didn't know there was any controversy about it. It's quite tasty. What is accepted to be used as meat by different cultures seems completely arbitrary.

If I think about, I should stop eating meat. So horrible as I am, I just don't think about it. Maybe one day my grandchildren will call me a mindless brute for my savage history. Rightfully so.

Also, from what I've read it sounds pretty tasty. Bison is quite excellent too, actually better in nutrition and make-up than cattle beef, even resulting in this hybrid called Beefalo being created for livestock.

If I think about, I should stop eating meat. So horrible as I am, I just don't think about it. Maybe one day my grandchildren will call me a mindless brute for my savage history. Rightfully so.

I still do but far, far less than I used to. It's a strange week if I eat meat two days in a row. I do eat eggs and cheese daily though. It's just all dietary in choice (we pick up grass fed beef too) and I'm not even doing anything that ethnically remarkable BUT when I think about how much meat the average American eats I feel a lot better about my self.

The main issue, in Britain is whether they were leisure or sport horses (racehorses etc) because there's a big possibility they were given bute in their life time. Bute is an anti-inflammorty that causes aplastic anaemia in humans (It stops the production of bone marrow). If they were horses that were bred for meat then there wouldn't be any health issues.

Hopefully people will start to realise if you want to eat meat than you've pay the price. We never used to eat meat every main meal and we certainly didn't evolve to do so.

In the EU, because italians only wish to buy 'Italian horse meat' they live ship horses from Romania and only slaughter them once on Italian soil. It's completely ridiculous and causes so much unnecessary harm.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't they only found horse meat in microwave lasagne? Who the fuck eats microwave lasagne?

Yup.

findus-lasagne_1008378c.jpg

Swedish quality, imported romanian horse meat! People are going apeshit over it here in sweden, because we have never had horse as a mainstay of our food culture.

I have no real problem with horse but it's also a matter of false marketing, which always gets peoples' knickers in a twist. There are also rumours of somewhat dangerous medicines being injected into these horses.

Archived