IGNORED

is horse meat readily available in your country?

keltoi

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You got a source with some numbers for that last statement, SG? I'd like to know more about it but don't really wanna get my info direct from a forum debate.

As for the first statement (re: sodium), I think it's important to remember that everyone is pretty likely to get too much sodium, meat-diet or not. Meat tastes better with salt, just like broccoli.

There are a number of amateur websites but I don't have a scientific source, no. (I did have many sources in health class back in high school though).. It was specifically diseases like Hodgkins lymphoma and alzheimers. I will see what I can find RE official sources.

You're right RE meat, brocolli etc. But stereotypical vegan foods are crammed full of sodium. IE Chic peas, tofu, etc....

Chick peas, for real? There's a can in my pantry right now... a half a cup of those little bastards only packs a whopping 6% of my daily sodium. I think the key here is not eating garbage, regardless of the meat content..

I'll try to look in to the amino acid / essential proteins thing. I really need to take a nutrition course or two.

this is why we need our non-sentient vat grown meat righthefucknow

and don't try to repackage some space whale as miracle science meat like in that one Torchwood episode

science, get off your ass for once, dammit

I'm so into this. *dreams of 3d printing raw steaks directly onto the grill*

The bottom line, IMO, in my science fiction addled mind, is that we need to get rid of this ridiculous system nature has devised called "heterotrophic organisms." Staying alive by killing and eating other things that are alive? Yeah, good one nature. Thanks for that. Plants got a better deal; we need to find a way to mimic their style and become autotrophs. Don't make me explain myself any further, because this is nonsense, but seriously nature, WTF? It's like we were doomed to be assholes before the asshole even evolved.

Chick peas, for real? There's a can in my pantry right now... a half a cup of those little bastards only packs a whopping 6% of my daily sodium. I think the key here is not eating garbage, regardless of the meat content..

I'll try to look in to the amino acid / essential proteins thing. I really need to take a nutrition course or two.

Absolutely a great idea if you are going to have a specialty diet. Best to see a nutritionist or naturopath.

You must have the good chick peas!

cheers, stay healthy :happy:

The bottom line, IMO, in my science fiction addled mind, is that we need to get rid of this ridiculous system nature has devised called "heterotrophic organisms." Staying alive by killing and eating other things that are alive? Yeah, good one nature. Thanks for that. Plants got a better deal; we need to find a way to mimic their style and become autotrophs. Don't make me explain myself any further, because this is nonsense, but seriously nature, WTF? It's like we were doomed to be assholes before the asshole even evolved.

u r friend

Here's some info on iron sources: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.php -- scroll down to the tables if you just wanna get some immediate comparisons.

As for the autotroph tangent -- I really do hope we can someday include autotrophic processes in our own bodies. Even in my wildest fantasies I doubt that we can ever become full autotrophs (digestion is a pretty huge part of our bodily systems), but if it's possible to engineer at least some of us (the scientifically adventurous types) to be able to make our own food via sunlight or other means, then sweet fuck, I'm all about it

Whoa China's been cranking out the horse meat - pretty sure the U.S. was #1

I understand people who feel upset for eating an animal smarter and more personable than a cow, but then again pigs are quite intelligent and that doesn't stop people from eating pork. I really wish meat consumption was just more efficient. It's sick that millions of animals, mostly cats and dogs but also thousands of horses, are severely mistreated and neglected by people who insist on having pets, or even worse, breed them purely for quick money. There are hundreds of cases in Texas alone of people being fined and even arrested for neglecting horses. It sounds cruel, but I dunno...some loosened ideas about what's taboo to eat could make the deaths of so many animals like that much less of a waste and tragedy.

I think everyone knows what a horse in fear looks and sounds like but how many people can paint a mental picture of a cow or pig in fear? I think being able to clearly imagine a creature in fear makes it easy to empathize with.

I watched a slaughter raw slaughterhouse footage reel on public access when i was maybe 10 years old and it brewed in my mind for years and every now and then I would be eating bacon and imagine the pig being thrown alive into a vat of boiling water like in the video and it would ruin my meal. eventually I stopped eating things that I couldn't punch to death without breaking my hand. i would stomp a chicken or fish to death no problem so i'll eat that without a second thought

I like that reasoning - seriously, that makes sense to me.

As for the horses versus cows and pigs thing, I know pigs can be just as emotionally appealing as horses, and in fact I'm sure typical FFA kid who has raised a prize-winning animal has had some kind of bittersweet realization that the animal they cared for is well, going be slaughtered. But that's the whole romantic aspect of farming - appreciating where the meat comes from.

As for cows, well...you know cattle guards, the grates used to keep cows from leaving road openings fenced areas? Yeah in most rural roads they just paint them on the road to keep loose livestock from leaving areas. Cows have no fucking clue that painted lines and actual grates are any different, they're that dumb. That's reason enough for me to eat them.

Here, try these:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09356.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_deficiency_(medicine)#Food_sources_of_iron

I like the first link more. BTW, I'm not a vegan, and I hope it's clear I'm not suggesting a particular diet for anyone... just wanna get my hands on the facts

Here, try these:

I like the first link more. BTW, I'm not a vegan, and I hope it's clear I'm not suggesting a particular diet for anyone... just wanna get my hands on the facts

I just wanted to add that the same approach to nutrition doesn't work for everyone. I always recommend people do a ton of research, and consider eating for their blood type. (http://www.webmd.com/diet/eat-right-for-your-type some basic info).

Personally, my body gets sick when I eat carbohydrates like rice, potatoes, onions, etc. I get acne, my brain gets foggy, and I gain a lot of weight and I'm generally just less healthy.

Here, try these:

Personally, my body gets sick when I eat carbohydrates like rice, potatoes, onions, etc. I get acne, my brain gets foggy, and I gain a lot of weight and I'm generally just less healthy.

Yeah I need to cut all of the garbage (carbage?) out of my diet. The "occasional" soda or candy bar or bag of chips becomes a daily ritual before you know it.

I drank something called Bubba cola today. That is where my diet is at right now.

I'm getting to the point where eating a slice of bread seems to cause me to gain 6 pounds.

I've got to fix my diet but I have no idea what to do. Wish I could inject some chloroplasts and live out Luke's autotrophic dream.

My mom ate like an anorexic bird (this just autocorrected to Borg, wtf) when she was preggers with me so I might be fucked for life in the metabolism department. My body anticipates famine and stores accordingly.

Thanks, Maaaaa

I'm sure it's out there and not too hard to find, this is London after all and it's full of "foodie" wankers who'd chomp at the bit to eat horse just so they could brag about it to their awful friends.

My diet is 99% vegetarian with rare, rare lapses into beef or fish - usually on holiday, and which I then feel thoroughly bad about - but if horsemeat was about when I had the uncontrollable urge for flesh, I'd take a bite. I'm not sentimental about horses. In fact I don't trust them.

Obligatory gay disco response: Is horsemeat readily available where you live? ONLY IN VAUXHALL!

Maybe you guys should see what happens to these horses on their way to slaughter houses (and the slaughter that takes place) because horses have a really shit time in comparison to their beef/pork/lamb counterparts.

I'm happy to send you a 3,000 word report on the transport of animals across the EU and how and why there are so many more welfare issues with horses, but I'm sure you'll either be bored to tears or just become a Pescetarian like myself.

Archived