IGNORED

Sony Expected To Unveil The Next Playstation Tomorrow

Joyrex

AAA (or is it AAAA now?) gaming will go through a big crash and burn, mark my words. Production costs are just too high. Even with outsourcing.

Will probably be left with only a few of the large publishers standing. I think THQs downfall was just the beginning.

Movie production costs keep going up - what keeps those from crashing? Don't tell me it's cheaper to go to the movies than buy a game; I can easily spend more than what it costs to buy a full retail game going to see one film.

I agree with you though - I think there will be a big return to 'simple' games, similar to the ever-growing indie movement that has made smartphone gaming lucrative.

I can see where you're coming from but I think the comparison only works part way. Movies at the cineplex *are* struggling (and often crashing), hence the constant push for novelty (3D glasses, IMAX, etc) to differentiate the theatergoing experience from home theater. Also, movies don't require you to plunk down $200-$3000 beforehand for a console or high end gaming PC. And, games are meant to be consumed from home, with less of a physical social element (meaning the social part of it comes through online friends more often than "LAN party!" or internet cafe, or "let's all sit on the sofa together"). This means it's even a more natural fit for piracy than film (although of course there's all sorts of DRM and cloud stuff these days which may effectively reverse the trend).

Bottom line is you will still have these huge tentpole games but they will be just like the tentpole movies - largely lowest-common-denom super-flashy Bruckheimer-fests.

Oh one more thing - the main reason the film industry hasn't completely collapsed, is that it has finally gone international - most movies can recoup their costs overseas, even if they are a flop domestically (US). Games have not crossed borders as much as film yet, I think. There are a shit-ton of Chinese games that haven't made a dent in the west, and tons of Western games that never make a dent overseas. Will be interesting to see how tastes converge over time, could lead to some gigantic blockbusters that could justify the price tag for the lucky few.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be interesting to see what they'll present here. Maybe it's just me but I'm still not expecting to be convinced on justifying buying a whole new console; even if every game available for it has the capability to produce 1080p with 60 FPS I still don't feel the need to go out and buy another console just for that. They'll really have to pull of something spectacular to impress me, admittedly though I am a bitter cynic. Seeing a more open platform or allowing a means for homebrew development would certainly get me excited, but lol at the thought of that happening.

Also anyone able to recommend a site that will give good coverage? I know many sites will be streaming but right now the only site I know that will be streaming is IGN, which I'm not going anywhere near.

GiantBomb or Kotaku would be my two choices

Guest Aserinsky

Will be interesting to see what they'll present here. Maybe it's just me but I'm still not expecting to be convinced on justifying buying a whole new console; even if every game available for it has the capability to produce 1080p with 60 FPS I still don't feel the need to go out and buy another console just for that. They'll really have to pull of something spectacular to impress me, admittedly though I am a bitter cynic. Seeing a more open platform or allowing a means for homebrew development would certainly get me excited, but lol at the thought of that happening.

Also anyone able to recommend a site that will give good coverage? I know many sites will be streaming but right now the only site I know that will be streaming is IGN, which I'm not going anywhere near.

GiantBomb or Kotaku would be my two choices

Wicked, just checked GiantBomb and they're starting live coverage at 10:30 GMT. Thank you Squee!

You can also watch the livestream via the US Playstation Blog as well on your PS3 itself via the XMB under "what's new"

Haha, holy shit... is the forum automatically inserting amazon links into your posts? Or are we sponsored by Sony now?

Another rumour (and almost a certainty) is the PS4 will have a subscription service in order to play online (similar to XBOX Live) supposedly called "Playstation World".

Now, if that allows you to stream PS3 games (ones you own, or perhaps from a select library) for a monthly fee, in addition to all the other perks you get with Playstation Plus, then I wouldn't mind paying for that at all.

I have this glimmer of hope that Sony realizes the mistakes it's made in the past, and is really going to 'bring it' in terms of making the PS4 a desirable console, not only for the games aspect, but as an overall media hub - just like they did really well with the PS2 and bringing an affordable DVD player to the masses, and somewhat with the PS3, in bringing an affordable Blu-Ray player in the same way.

Granted, the whole media hub thing has many competitors these days (with a lot of it being built right into TVs these days), but nobody really has gotten it quite right - hopefully Sony has seen that and made it a focus with this new hardware.

You can also watch the livestream via the US Playstation Blog as well on your PS3 itself via the XMB under "what's new"

Haha, holy shit... is the forum automatically inserting amazon links into your posts? Or are we sponsored by Sony now?

Ah, so that feature is working now... excellent.

I'm trying an experimental feature via Viglinks.

Can you send me a screenshot of what you see - the links aren't showing for me...

Here you go.

boobs.png

Btw. I usually dont' complain, but that new quote system is a pain in the ass. I was reply to you by quoting your last post, and then editing it down to just "can you send me a screenshot" and it kept deleting the outer quotation by itself. Jesus Christ!

Alright, back on topic. Computya games!

It really confuses me that people are OK with the state the PS3 is in. Sony's crippled XMB and the agonizing slow system and game updates are absurd anno 2013. Whenever I return to their slow piece of shit for some exclusive I better turn it on, walk the dog, make some tea and maybe when I get back my game is ready to go. All that only to get a headache after 20 minutes because of the unresponsive, aliased mess of pixels coming in at 20 frames per second. My phone has 4 times the memory of this piece of shit. You don't want an upgrade? What the fuck.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

my ps3 works fine. not gonna be forking out for a subscription service. probably not gonna fork out for a new system tbh either.

It really confuses me that people are OK with the state the PS3 is in. Sony's crippled XMB and the agonizing slow system and game updates are absurd anno 2013. Whenever I return to their slow piece of shit for some exclusive I better turn it on, walk the dog, make some tea and maybe when I get back my game is ready to go. All that only to get a headache after 20 minutes because of the unresponsive, aliased mess of pixels coming in at 20 frames per second. My phone has 4 times the memory of this piece of shit. You don't want an upgrade? What the fuck.

You might check you have a working PS3, because none of that happens to me, or the majority of the other millions of PS3 owners either, I reckon.

my ps3 works fine. not gonna be forking out for a subscription service. probably not gonna fork out for a new system tbh either.

Let's see how well it works when you can't play online without a subscription (no idea if they are going to push that to the PS3, but I would assume it's a given). We'll see.

You know, if you delete old save files from your HD of games you don't own or play anymore and other extraneous data the system runs a lot faster... Are you sure your systems software is updated? Also if you have games you bought off the network but aren't actively playing just delete them until you're going to play them again, you can always re-download them later for free since you already own the license (what you're essentially buying when you purchase off the network). Full games on the HD eat up the memory pretty quickly.

My friends' PS3's are even slower. I am aware that a full drive hogs the system down and I have even upgraded my drive from the default slow 5400RPM one. Maybe living with modern technology (fast IO, loads of RAM, high memory bandwidth, good CPU) made me impatient. I only use it to play an exclusive every 4 months or so and having to sit through those system and game updates is slow, booting a game is slow, doing things in XBM on a single SPE while a gaming is running takes forever... Argh, it's just such a shitty experience.

Where can I watch this live?

A lot of places. I'll be watching here probably:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-20-sonys-new-playstation-reveal

My friends' PS3's are even slower. I am aware that a full drive hogs the system down and I have even upgraded my drive from the default slow 5400RPM one. Maybe living with modern technology (fast IO, loads of RAM, high memory bandwidth, good CPU) made me impatient. I only use it to play an exclusive every 4 months or so and having to sit through those system and game updates is slow, booting a game is slow, doing things in XBM on a single SPE while a gaming is running takes forever... Argh, it's just such a shitty experience.

Where can I watch this live?

A lot of places. I'll be watching here probably:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-20-sonys-new-playstation-reveal

I see - so you're complaining of having to sit through system updates, etc. due to the fact you only turn your system on every few months? :cerious:

I can get from power-off to in-game on my PS3 in pretty decent time. The least responsive part of the process is having my TV turn on via the HDMI link with the PS3.

The only absolutely terrible aspect of the PS3/PSN experience for me is the newly broken PSN store, which I am baffled anyone could approve for release.

I can get from power-off to in-game on my PS3 in pretty decent time. The least responsive part of the process is having my TV turn on via the HDMI link with the PS3.

The only absolutely terrible aspect of the PS3/PSN experience for me is the newly broken PSN store, which I am baffled anyone could approve for release.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the store either. I guess it just takes time to get used to it, but it's performance is lacking.

You can now shop it via the web though, and that's a better experience...

(cannot work the quotes.. replying to below)

what does that even mean, stream your ps3 games, and why should this function cost a fee? Why not just be backwards compatible with ps3 games?

Another rumour (and almost a certainty) is the PS4 will have a subscription service in order to play online (similar to XBOX Live) supposedly called "Playstation World".

Now, if that allows you to stream PS3 games (ones you own, or perhaps from a select library) for a monthly fee, in addition to all the other perks you get with Playstation Plus, then I wouldn't mind paying for that at all.

Because the hardware will not just be more powerful it will be different. Different CPU & GPU architecture, different memory layout... Totally incompatible.

Here we go!

Archived