IGNORED

NIN to tour again - with Adrian Belew and others!

modey

:w00t:

http://pitchfork.com/news/49681-trent-reznor-announces-the-return-of-nine-inch-nails-extensive-touring-for-2013-and-2014/

NOTE FROM TRENT:

Nine Inch Nails are touring this year.

I was working with Adrian Belew on some musical ideas, which led to some discussion on performing, which led to some beard-scratching, which (many steps later) led to the decision to re-think the idea of what Nine Inch Nails could be, and the idea of playing a show. Calls were made to some friends, lots of new ideas were discussed, and a show was booked - which led to another, which somehow led to a lot of shows.

The band is reinventing itself from scratch and will be comprised of Eric Avery, Adrian Belew, Alessandro Cortini, Josh Eustis, Ilan Rubin, and me. The first shows will begin this summer, followed by a full-on arena tour of the US this fall, and lots of other dates worldwide to follow through 2014.

Lots of details and dates to come. See you soon.

TR

I'm mostly just losing my shit at the possibility of seeing Belew live again. He pretty much makes any lineup 10x more awesome. I can't even imagine what this would be like though, despite him playing on numerous parts of NIN albums. Thoughts?

not too optimistic about this. Reznor's music has taken a decline since he got off the drugs and got happy.

Which is great, I'm real glad he's in a better place.

But his music has suffered.

The last decent thing he made that I went crazy over was his contribution to Tetsuo: The Bullet Man soundtrack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu9bm-RJMWM

I'm gonna risk it. I'm such a Belew fanboy that just seeing him onstage would make it worthwhile.. he's always so happy onstage; I wonder how it'll translate to NIN:

AdrianBelewCover.jpg

Guest Lucy Faringold

would be more excited for this if I hadn't had to listen to that new HTDA shitfest a few days ago.

I think it's good that he's apparently planning on mixing things up a bit though.

NiN have been regurgitating themselves over and over again for years. There's a few decent tracks here and there but on the whole its a bit sloppy and a bit boring.

Adrian Belew played on the Downward Spiral didn't he?

Yup, the awesome reversed guitar solo on Ruiner, if I'm not mistaken. Not to mention a few bits and pieces on The Fragile, and most of the twisty guitar stuff on Ghosts.

Guest Ron Manager

I like the sound of Josh Eustis (formerly of Telefon Tel Aviv) being involved. Can't say I'm over the moon on the whole though, none of the post-Fragile output has been even half-decent, and the last couple of tours weren't that amazing. NIN are one of those bands who were such a huge part of me when I was growing up that I'll never feel anything for newer material like I did for The Downward Spiral or The Fragile. One for the memory bank.

Having said that, I recently stumbled upon this amazing live version of Just Like You Imagined with Mike Garson:

Hopefully this latest invention will pull him away from trying to re-capture what made NIN so great in the 90's and strike out into another direction that shows off his obvious talents, because he is talented - I think he just tries to hard to strike lighting over and over instead of just allowing it to happen.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for as well. Something new and interesting. That said though, I caught one of the really stripped down 'rock' shows on the last tour and it was pretty amazing.

Hopefully this latest invention will pull him away from trying to re-capture what made NIN so great in the 90's and strike out into another direction that shows off his obvious talents, because he is talented - I think he just tries to hard to strike lighting over and over instead of just allowing it to happen.

Papa I just can't see a math-rock guitarist doing all those crunchy power-chordy songs night after night during a tour. It's not the same tone, or thinking attitude. The fingers won't want to work that way. It's either something massively wrong or a complete reconstruction of Trent's back catalogue. I'm hoping the latter, but expecting the first.

We're talking about testosterone-driven tracks, industrial-pop with a dose of adolescence naivety, that's why it was popular and it worked. I can't see the guy doing this 2 hours a night, or worse, I can't see an audience listening to a KC-type show without getting bored and shouting "PLAY FUCKING MARCH OF THE PIIIGGGGGSSS" between each song hoping for a nostalic mosh-pit they did a Lollapalooza 91. Oh well fuck these people are old farts nowadays, probably into prog-metal and stuff, so it... might... work :cerious:

Guest Wall Bird

Must have read four different headlines announcing the NIN tour. Didn't care one bit until I saw this thread title name check Adrian Belew.

That got my attention.

Way to class up the live performance, Trent. The only change I would desire is to have Justin Meldal-Johnsen back on bass. That's about as good as I can imagine it.

THIS JUST IN:

BAND THAT SAID THEY WERE SORTA BREAKING UP COMES BACK AS MELLOW, WASHED UP OLD GUYS

MORE AT 10

mostly just kidding...it could be interesting but i'm not holding out much hope for it. i hope i'm wrong.

NIN's live show had hands down the best mix and sound of any live show I've ever seen. Just that alone is such an achievement, and the curiosity will likely put me over the edge on this tour . .

I don't understand the Adrien Belew thing

except for his work with the Talking Heads and "mr. self-destruct"

he helped turn King Crimson (once the most epic sound on the planet) into a goofy chintzy 80's wankfest

he is hugely hugely talented that is totally evident

but i feel like he was chronically miscast

and missed whatever it was he was actually supposed to do on this planet

Yeah see, I have the exact opposite opinion. I appreciate pre-Belew KC but think they developed a much more unique sound after he joined the band. Yeah, so it's goofy (I prefer 'quirky'), what was the alternative? Keep re-writing Red/Larks forever? The thing I love about KC is that they never re-treaded old ground; each era had a new style.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing him play fulltime with NIN; he's pretty diverse so I don't think he'll get bored playing rock riffs instead of arpeggios/weird noises.. though there are plenty of places in NIN songs where he can show off, and that's what I'm looking forward to the most. I hope they let him sing backing vocals too, haha!

Yeah see, I have the exact opposite opinion. I appreciate pre-Belew KC but think they developed a much more unique sound after he joined the band. Yeah, so it's goofy (I prefer 'quirky'), what was the alternative? Keep re-writing Red/Larks forever? The thing I love about KC is that they never re-treaded old ground; each era had a new style.

King Crimson were like the Jesus Lizard of the 70's

And then the Porcupine Tree of the 80's

not too optimistic about this. Reznor's music has taken a decline since he got off the drugs and got happy.

Which is great, I'm real glad he's in a better place.

But his music has suffered.

The last decent thing he made that I went crazy over was his contribution to Tetsuo: The Bullet Man soundtrack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu9bm-RJMWM

I love the trumpets in that song so much that it almost makes the rest of it worth it. Otherwise it kinda meanders, but it's miles ahead of anything he did since 1999.

Having never had the chance to see NIN live before, I think I'll probably try to make it to this tour, especially with Belew on board. Regardless, say what you will about the band, but from all the vids I've seen of the band, the live show always seems impressive.

Having said that, I recently stumbled upon this amazing live version of Just Like You Imagined with Mike Garson:

This is great

I've read quite a few bad reviews of them live, perhaps a few times here on watmm.

I've only seen them once, about ten years ago in Australia and they were incredible, it was the show when Reznor returned to Sydney after initially blowing the first gigs out of the water after getting seriously pissed off off with his record company (posted below from wikipedia). He walked onto stage and apologised for cancelling the first dates and said he was going to play one of the shows off his life. I'm not joking watmmer's I just stood still with my jaw on the ground for the show. It was incredible.

So if he's on form, you won't regret it.

In May 2007, Reznor made a post on the official Nine Inch Nails website condemning Universal Music Group—the parent company of the band's record label, Interscope Records—for their pricing and distribution plans for Nine Inch Nails' 2007 album Year Zero.[78] He labeled the company's retail pricing of Year Zero in Australia as "ABSURD," concluding that "as a reward for being a 'true fan' you get ripped off". Reznor went on to say that as "the climate grows more and more desperate for record labels, their answer to their mostly self-inflicted wounds seems to be to screw the consumer over even more."[79] Reznor's post, specifically his criticism of the recording industry at large, elicited considerable media attention.[80] In September 2007, Reznor continued his attack on Universal Music Group at a concert in Australia, urging fans there to "steal" his music online instead of purchasing it legally.[81] Reznor went on to encourage the crowd to "steal and steal and steal some more and give it to all your friends and keep on stealin'."[82]

I can't imagine them not being good live.. The two times I saw them were fucking amazing.. and I'm a huge fan of the live DVDs, too.

Archived