IGNORED

I think I get Oversteps now.

sweepstakes

Guest theSun

that plyphon vid is the best ae vid. the guy posted that on this forum when he made it.

his ametsub vid is pretty cool too.

in oversteps news, i just listened to the whole album and i didn't skip a track (or have the urge) probably since i listened to it the first few times. tracks that sort of drag on to me (qplay, see on see, d-sho, krylon) didn't seem so meandering on my most recent listen.

tracks that really stood out as great - known1, pt2ph8, os veix3, O=0 and st epreo.

yuop is just great for what it is. it's an obvious track but the execution is flawless with the oversteps sound palette

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the topic of oversteps, I really wish there was something other than krylon in its place. The last half hour of that album is ambience and while krylon has its moments, its mostly way too long and one of the noodliest things they've written. As a result I often get tired of oversteps right after redfall and because I'm a sequential kind of guy that means I usually miss Yuop as well. Am I alone in this?

Try listening to some classical music, Gorecki for example, before listening to Oversteps. Put everything in great perspective for me and cetainly upped the enjoyment of Oversteps. Especially the more "noodly" tracks.

that plyphon vid is the best ae vid. the guy posted that on this forum when he made it.

I love ya man, but as good as it is, nothing touches Gantz Graf.

Guest theSun

I love ya man, but as good as it is, nothing touches Gantz Graf.

the concept behind both videos as they relate to the arrangement of the songs is flawless. i prefer plyphon as a song. gantz graf is a little gimmicky. both songs/videos are abfab tho

I see the Plyphon vid as a bit derivative though. I don't think it would exist without Gantz Graf! I'm not trying to dissuade you obviously though :)

Guest theSun

I see the Plyphon vid as a bit derivative though. I don't think it would exist without Gantz Graf! I'm not trying to dissuade you obviously though :)

i suppose i'd agree with that.

but gantz graf is derivative of windows media player visualizations imo.

Guest pixelives

"See On See" is really like Coil going back in time and playing with Erik Satie. The bass even almost waltzes along. Dunnn Da dunnn Da dunnn.

Guest theSun

I didn't actually realize how much like gantz_graf Plyphon was until I watched the video, then I was like 8-0

are you saying the song gantz graf is like the song plyphon? how so?

Ummmm, not sure I can explain it, now that I think about it! Maybe it was just b/c the videos look the same ...

One reason, I guess, is because so many of the other tracks on Quaristice are a bit more atmospheric and straightforward in their rhythm, while Plyphon involves the atmospheric pads & reverb around a faster, slightly more complicated rhythm, in a similar way that the 'pads' (such as they are) in gantz_graf interact with the stuttering rhythms there. Both tracks break down a bit toward the end to just the 'melodic' sounds ... maybe there's not much to the comparison. I guess the video just helped me hear the level of detail in the rhythms and structure of Plyphon in a similar way that the video for gantz_graf visualized its rhythm & structure.

i suppose i'd agree with that.

but gantz graf is derivative of windows media player visualizations imo.

Windows Media Player visualisations are derivative of Sonique visualisations

sonique-music-player.jpg

Guest theSun

Ummmm, not sure I can explain it, now that I think about it! Maybe it was just b/c the videos look the same ...

One reason, I guess, is because so many of the other tracks on Quaristice are a bit more atmospheric and straightforward in their rhythm, while Plyphon involves the atmospheric pads & reverb around a faster, slightly more complicated rhythm, in a similar way that the 'pads' (such as they are) in gantz_graf interact with the stuttering rhythms there. Both tracks break down a bit toward the end to just the 'melodic' sounds ... maybe there's not much to the comparison. I guess the video just helped me hear the level of detail in the rhythms and structure of Plyphon in a similar way that the video for gantz_graf visualized its rhythm & structure.

that's what i was saying before about the videos relating to the tracks. both videos are perfect in visually describing what's happening.

with plyphon, you've got well defined layers that are fairly simply divided and represented (metal things for the beats, curvy stabs for the synths and the background texture for the reverb from the synths, thin little fleeting glitchy things for the higher pitched glitches). the song is divided like that aurally for me.

gantz graf is really only the one layer that is just mangled and assaulted with incredible precision, detail and variation. that's why there is just the one gray thing that is morphing into a million different things very rapidly.

the songs have nothing in common to me other than the harsh-industrial sound palette. arrangement and groove/feel is totally different

Archived