80's inspired instrumental synth music

chim

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heard about this guy recently. It matches the general 80s sound without the kitschy aesthetic. A bit more on the John Carpenter side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MUP9-8oPgc

His Boiler Room set is pretty good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPP_TVk0WlM

Man Kuedo was really knocking it out of the park with the whole later era vaporwave (especially 2814 and the better Dream Catalogue stuff) / synthwave / outrun vibe that's popular now YEARS before that stuff was trendy. 

Like you said, no kitschy or gimmicky vibe to it. More like a hauntology vibe instead of pure retro fetishism. I feel like it's what would been made in the late 70s / early 80s but if those producers had 90s and 00s era digital samplers/DAWS. Or music with retrofuturism / sci-fi / cyberpunk ethos informed by d'n'b and rave instead of the other way around. 

I'd check out S>>D - VTOL if you like Kuedo. I think Torn Hawk, Gatekeeper, and Legowelt get in this territory as well. Sand Circles, Dylan Ettiger, and a shitload of more lo-fi and/or underground synth producers in the late 00s early 10s era of cassette labels get into this territory too. All the peers of SURVIVE who didn't get as famous. Holodeck Records has a lot of albums early on, though this in particular reminds me of Kuedo...super underrated imo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived