Ultrademon - Seapunk

eh Speedy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jasondonervan

One of us, one of us... good to see another person appreciating this. It's borderline running the risk of becoming a 'forgotten classic', one that's dug up 10 years from now and revered as great...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jasondonervan

Having put in more listening, this one has really grown on me. Nice weather helps for added enjoyment! Fans of wonky Aphex/DnB/cheese-fuelled early 90s Euro chart-trance/jungley fare should be all over it :music:

You need to wake up.*

*Album sample

Edited by jasondonervan

this is an interesting event. I feel like this is the first time a release has consciously used 90s internet aesthetic as "nostalgia"

it will be anodyne within a year

The Host album on Planet Mu?

Got mine a few days ago after having it on back order for weeks. Really dig how his style is so fundamentally eclectic, yet applied consistently throughout. A unique and cohesive album.

Seems remarkably resistant to pigeonholing. I may not be super familiar with some of the potential influences like footwork or trap, but practically everything from the late 80s onwards has been named as an influence at this point. Which doesn't make for particularly interesting discourse, but it tells you something about how refreshing this is.

Seapunk doesn't do it as much, but lots of this vaporwave music relies heavily on new age/smooth jazz for inspiration/sample material, and I think there are some conceptual similarities that are quite uncanny in the context of everything. I would start a thread but it's probably not worth it, but I digress. The following bands paved the way, diligently engineering their music in secluded Californian studios, some how aware of the ironic and post-ironic appreciation that would come.

61um%2Byt%2BcoL._SX300_.jpg

1197232127_fattburger6.jpg

51LdoJEfQqL._SY300_.jpg

253361_1_f.jpg

61kPY9rMOnL._SL500_SY300_.jpg

292619.jpg

I have doubts that the people that actually make vaporwave have ever seen or listened to this music, but maybe they have.

Slice of Life by Special EFX is my favorite from this, and then Pacific Rim.

Edited by sheatheman

If they haven't they are definitely mining similar stuff. I think the appeal is the fact that as kids these producers absorbed so much of this music unintentionally, so it has a nostalgic appeal even though the memory of it is so vague and hazy.

For instance, I must of heard this music 100+ times playing these games, and it fits that mid-90s easy listening/smooth sound vibe.

(I think it would be a worthy thread - I was a bit skeptical of vaporwave at first but I've very much warmed up to it)

Edited by joshuatx

The 'Fire for Effect' things fits the new Rephlex strategy of not even admitting to releasing music. EOD volume 1, Photodementia and EDMA2 were all released on one off Labels, but still seem to be Rephlex releases.

It's a good strategy.

what is the EDMA2 release you're talking about? i'd love to hear it.

also, yeah that is right jasondonervan. ultrademon has also mentioned his involvement with rephlex a few times on twitter.

The 'Fire for Effect' things fits the new Rephlex strategy of not even admitting to releasing music. EOD volume 1, Photodementia and EDMA2 were all released on one off Labels, but still seem to be Rephlex releases.

It's a good strategy.

2i06xit.jpg
That's not a proof, but whatever. I really liked the album, Ultrademon has a lot of talent

Guest nene multiple assgasms

if I saw that album cover without knowing anything about it, I would assume it was on rephlex. I mean, look at it!

If it was a Rephlex cover it would have the same visuals on the front, inside the booklet, on the back and on the CD.

Guest tht tne

i have no intention of listening to this or much less paying for it but the disc graphic makes me think about thinking twice

if I saw that album cover without knowing anything about it, I would assume it was on rephlex. I mean, look at it!

Rephlex or the local yodel-label.

yodel.jpg

disclaimer: the ultrademon release is awesome. kinda like the rest of recent rephlex output.

Edited by goDel

Is there anywhere available to buy this digitally? Bleep says its sold out of CDs, and I don't really want to order a CD and wait to get this stuff. How frustrating.