mostly thanks to sunk cost fallacy i finally managed to wade through this.

it's not a bad show...

but rather average for a lynch joint and really disappointing for a twin peaks season imo.

some really good bits (audrey + charlie, episodes 03/08 (tho the latter could just as well pass as a standalone short),
the sound design (as always), the build up and ending were some A+ trolling ("welcome to rl"), "i am the FBI")

some plain awful (everything diane, pretty much anything actually happening in twin peaks besides the sherrif office being
blatantly tacked on fan service, most tries at humor being cringeworthy (wally was great tho), poor man's tarantino scenes)

and lots, LOTS of drag. (dougie)

some of the dialogue was so arbitrarily drawn out with silences in the most clichéd arthouse kinda way i couldn't help but think he's taking the piss.
then again, even as a joke it's tiring after a while.

yeah, so davey sure loves to play with expectations... now, to me the reason why the twin peaks of old worked was because it built up expectations first,
then farted on them. between lynchian horror and sickly sweet soap opera you really felt anything could happen, genuinely weird.
at times season 03 was just disjointedly plodding along with hardly any opportunity to actually bond with any of the characters.
i don't need to be spoon fed emotional responses but at least make me give a flying fuck now and then, will ya?
that being said the over-the-top dead kid scene was worth a chuckle.

it's kinda funny how this is working pretty much exactly the same way as the last few lost seasons
(an ultimately visionless, gimmicky piling of "mystery" shenanigans all revolving around some shady cosmic good / evil dichotomy never to be resolved anyway) but while the latter
were called out as tripe by pretty much everyone this seems to be universally acclaimed in mainstream media.

no secret lynch is more and more disappearing up his own ass (inland empire was a snorefest and going through the lynchian motions already but at least only
for 3 hours instead of fucking 19). on top of always having been a bit of an esoteric dunce it seems some early dementia is setting in, too.
sure, doesn't hurt his general imaginativeness (maybe quite the opposite) but reading this thread and what certain acolytes
are projecting into this meaningless wank (not that there's anything wrong with that) to fend off even the tiniest speck of criticism was actually more entertaining than watching large parts of s03.

i kinda get he's still scratching an itch like hardly anyone else does, tho.

whatevs, rave on folks! <3

22090011_10155608713885242_7326962793559

lol.

Edited by jaderpansen

you'll make lots of friends with that post. especially here

;)

i'm not even enjoying being the party pooper but i don't get "all or nothing" attitude.

but i guess that's one of the pluses when working as ambiguously / surrealistic as lynch:

bad acting? on purpose of course! (actually i do believe it is)

inconsistencies? linear narrative pleb!

well this section was kinda artificially drawn out, non? hah, it's his style normie scum. FELL TEH GRAVITAS, DUH!

etc.

bad acting? on purpose of course! (actually i do believe it is)

i agree that it's on purpose. i've heard actors mention a couple of times that lynch often only did 2 takes.

throwing shit on a canvas has become craftmanship. because it was done with "purpose". 

Edited by goDel

no secret lynch is more and more disappearing up his own ass 

Didn't Tarantino himself use these exact same words after the Fire Walk With Me premiere? Like that film, S3 will probably become easier to appreciate over time, as most people will slowly get over their preconceived ideas of what a Twin Peaks sequel is supposed to be. 

Despite my own reservations while watching the finale, I still find myself thinking about its imagery almost every day. Its vibe of a desperate morbid obsessiveness is something I don't think I've seen before in any other film except Vertigo.

Similar feeling with the insane Bob battle in the previous episode. Totally ridiculous, but so wonderfully dreamy. The women with the sandwiches! 

In any case I feel like the best way to approach (any) Twin Peaks is with the same wonder and excitement as good old Coop would have. "Would you look at that. David Bowie turned into a talking teapot? And it's slippery in there? Amazing!"

i think i would've liked S03 better overall if he'd put the show's legacy at least a bit more over his self indulgence.

anyway i'm not "blaming" him for following his intuition, "david lynch is not my bitch". on the other hand i don't feel oblidged to suck everything up he throws our way simply because of loyalty and actually i am (or was) quite a great lynch enthusiast up to mulholland drive.

like i said i quite liked some of the imagery and storylines, others on the other hand felt completely hollow and quite simply boring to me and on the whole i feel stuff was rather poorly patched together, following no distinct rhythm... if you think that's part of the idea / charme, well good for you (and david lynch).

no secret lynch is more and more disappearing up his own ass 

Didn't Tarantino himself use these exact same words after the Fire Walk With Me premiere?

lol i honestly didn't know that. well, kinda obvious thing to say anyway.

If FWWM was Lynch disappearing up his own arse, it was at least well executed. Or, in other words, it was self indulgence done the right way.

Obvs, I have some different views on S03. No need to go there again. But I just like to say that FWWM is a bad comparison for S03. FWWM doesn't have the flaws I see in S03. It's a different beast, imo.

Chris Issak was uber-wooden in FWWM, with a lot of scenes i've tried to focus in on the other characters & dialog, rather than let his lack of presence distract from all the good gear, the deleted scenes showed sequences that in my humble opinion should deffo have got a look in during the final editing, this one being a prime example

everyone has their own tastes with art, so to each their own

Chris Issak was uber-wooden in FWWM, with a lot of scenes i've tried to focus in on the other characters & dialog, rather than let his lack of presence distract from all the good gear, the deleted scenes showed sequences that in my humble opinion should deffo have got a look in during the final editing, this one being a prime example

everyone has their own tastes with art, so to each their own

a distracting lack of presence sounds almost paradoxical (lynchesque even?) but i see what you mean :D ... anyway i would have taken him (and / or sam) anyday before the fucking mitchum brothers, freddie or rebecca...

also: how is annie? oh well...

alsoso: yeah that scene's pretty badass, still haven't seen the missing pieces, wish there was a standalone release.

Well paint me pink if I got it backwards, but I found FWWM very solid and clear. The only thing that confused me was how would this fit into the final sequence of episodes; meaning that if you screened the FWWM at the beginning, everyone would know what happened and S01 wouldn't make much sense watching apart from expanding the whole story. FWWM is a compressed version of S01 + extra.

If anything was disappearing up his arse was S03.

Edited by Godwin Austen

What I was aiming at earlier is that S3 may take a couple years time -and rewatch sessions- before anyone can really tell for themselves if it actually holds up against previous Twin Peaks. Just like FWWM had to cool down for a while before many people came to appreciate it. 

Then again, 120 mins are easier to revisit than 18 hours.

[...] freddie [...]

come to think of it why even arbitrarily introduce some cockney dude with super human strength (who supposedly gets directed by the fireman the most excplicit and therefore inconsistent way) to kill bob when we already had glorious nadine? like mr. c could have soiled her drapes with the brains of some victim and in a rage she punches BOB out of him and into oblivion, BÄM! talk about missed opportunities :P. according to this http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/15/david-lynch-twin-peaks-finale/ he was literally just some random idea that had been lying around for a while. it's exactly this kind of inspiration over craftsmanship issue i think he used to get down better / more balanced.

i'm sure the green glove dude is Lynch's jab at superhero movies (green glove = hulk). that guy just comes out of nowhere, has some ridiculous origin story, then just wipes out the main bad guy with a gimmicky superpower. i have no doubt that Lynch hates superhero films & especially how they have taken over mainstream cinema for years now. he also wraps up the story in such a hokey, fake way, bringing attention to its artifice, before crossing over into the 'real' world with episode 18. illustrating how all those characters 'live inside a dream'.

i'm sure the green glove dude is Lynch's jab at superhero movies (green glove = hulk). that guy just comes out of nowhere, has some ridiculous origin story, then just wipes out the main bad guy with a gimmicky superpower. i have no doubt that Lynch hates superhero films & especially how they have taken over mainstream cinema for years now. he also wraps up the story in such a hokey, fake way, bringing attention to its artifice, before crossing over into the 'real' world with episode 18. illustrating how all those characters 'live inside a dream'.

Yup.

brilliantly sarcastic cultural commentary whose time had finally come or just the tacking on of some old random idea that had been conveniently lying around?

or maybe both... or even neither?

or should we ask? oh wait...

_

anyway if it was the former i still think he could have made it using what was at hand, too, but yeah. at least the character was mildly amusing as opposed to, say, diane *ugh*. yeah we get it, dern's your muse, but the way he tried to inject some life into her with that forced grumpiness... plain awkward. (the confrontation scene with mr. c was quite intense, tho.)

Lynch.lynch.lynch... Mark frost?

took the back seat for the worse? haven't read the book. is green glove guy (ggg) in there?