so should i watch this rather than the "twin peaks overview" ones that were recommended some pages ago?

)

edit: page break, "this" refers to the 4-hour one

Edited by kieselguhr kid
pagebreak

Do both. Start with Corn pone flicks. As he's got an interesting take. The 4 hour one completely destroys it though, but it is interesting nevertheless. Gets you mind rolling. The 4 hour one goes completely meta and you might even want to avoid it if you love having/creating theories of your own and aren't interested in anything else really. As you might end up losing the need to fantasise about new theories.

Yeah the Corn Pone ones are definitely worth a watch - For some reason they remind me of Slavoj Zizek's works

They're super interesting and super cringeworthy.

• Haha 1

Just like TP season 3? ;D

• Like 1

It definitely had some cringeworthy shit, but the highs were so high they annihilated the lows 😉

9 hours ago, goDel said:

Do both. Start with Corn pone flicks. As he's got an interesting take. The 4 hour one completely destroys it though, but it is interesting nevertheless. Gets you mind rolling. The 4 hour one goes completely meta and you might even want to avoid it if you love having/creating theories of your own and aren't interested in anything else really. As you might end up losing the need to fantasise about new theories.

Before I watched the 4.5 hr one by Twin Perfect the Corn Pone overviews were the most concise, well-thought out and substantive YT videos I'd watched about season 3. I'd def rec them, especially as primers for season 3 theories / interpretations I've seen on reddit - which are wildly varied. Lot of mediocre videos seem to just re-hash that content or put out redundant click bait. The Corn Pone vids are a good warm up for the Twin Perfect video as well. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 12:32 PM, goDel said:

From 2:50:00 onwards he def goes more into the third season stuff. Really interesting take. To the point that I'm wondering whether he in some way had direct access to Lynch himself, btw.

Yeah, those "this guy is a like a Lynch scholar" comments are indeed not hyperbole. The unfinished Ronnie Rocket insight being a good example. I'm curious if he's got any other theories about Lynch's other work.

The beautiful thing about the Twin Perfect vid is how much of the evidence is in plain sight. That's why I found it still very compatible with all of Frost's input and the plethora of other references, tangents, layers of theories in paranormal, legends, obscure history, etc. as well as the core mystery and intrigue of the show itself. 

• Like 1

^ It's a little old timey, but I've heard it. I must have been sawing wood myself because I didn't hear anyone say that.

The guy in that 4 hour video... he's old enough to know that if you can't do a good impression of someone, you should just stop. But apparently, he doesn't know that.

• Haha 1

Or he thinks it's a good impression. :S

On 11/1/2019 at 7:39 AM, goDel said:

Just like TP season 3? ;D

On 11/1/2019 at 7:50 AM, Squee said:

It definitely had some cringeworthy shit, but the highs were so high they annihilated the lows

kind of curious what didn't you guys like about season 3 or find cringeworthy? 

2 minutes ago, Drum Up said:

I didn't like that they brought real Cooper back so early.

Should've kept Dougie around until like, 2 mins before the end.

• Farnsworth 1

11 minutes ago, Drum Up said:

Read the thread. Can't be bothered to go though that again. Sorry. If you read you'll understand why I won't be bothered. Gotta be around page 80 or sumting

1 hour ago, goDel said:

Read the thread.

cool i'll check it out, thanks. Long thread. 

22 hours ago, oscillik said:

I didn't like that they brought real Cooper back so early.

Should've kept Dougie around until like, 2 mins before the end.

When the season aired I had earnest hopes for Dougie to stick around at least long enough for him to meet Albert. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gretsky 3D said:

When the season aired I had earnest hopes for Dougie to stick around at least long enough for him to meet Albert. 

That would've been special

On 11/1/2019 at 9:45 AM, kieselguhr kid said:

Uhf, I'm over an hour into it, and I don't know... he's definitely interpreting the shit out of Twin Peaks, and he makes sense, but I also think he's reaching a bit in some places.

keep with it. in the end the puzzle largely fits like a glove. too much is in plain sight for it to be nonsense. and it also 'gets' all the stuff which previously made no sense. even from the cone flicks perspective. and this is basically where its strength is. it's an all encompassing theory which can explain anything.

4 minutes ago, goDel said:

keep with it. in the end the puzzle largely fits like a glove. too much is in plain sight for it to be nonsense. and it also 'gets' all the stuff which previously made no sense. even from the cone flicks perspective. and this is basically where its strength is. it's an all encompassing theory which can explain anything.

I'll try. I'm worried it'll kinda ruin Twin Peaks for me though. I like having my own idea of what it's all about.

• Like 1

in the end you could either discard it. or use this perspective to enrich the experience.

it's a new perspective on the show. although it's going to be difficult to unsee it, i'm guessing. but as far as im concerned, that's a good thing. that's my thing though. i had some grapes with stuff in tp3 being too inconsequential or deus ex machina. that kinda ruined my experience of the 3rd season. this perspective gives a bit more debth. which helps for me. otherwise it's just like watching clouds in the sky and trying to see stuff in it. again, that's me.

My thoughts/opinions are easily colored by other people's opinions so I think I'm gonna stop while my own thoughts are intact otherwise I won't be able to watch Twin Peaks through my own lens.

So, I made it through the whole 4.5 hours or whatever. A high degree of respect for this guy, for doing some very in-depth research, and putting together a very complicated take on the series. It's set forth like a decent academic paper, and I appreciate his approach - like any good academic piece, it has a thesis and then introduces evidence to support it, tries to address points that may be contradictory, and is willing to acknowledge (some) areas that the author is unclear on. 

However:

Spoiler

Although I thought the first couple of hours did an excellent job of arguing for the meta nature of the show in S1 and S2, and for why Twin Peaks was made to be what it was (as an antidote to the senseless, inconsequential violence by forcing audiences to connect with the large effects of actual violence, appreciating the beauty of the mundane, etc.), I felt like his arguments for S3 were much less strong. The use of vehicles to represent the "vehicle" of the show, Charlie's alluding to Laura when talking about "ending Audrey's story," the evolution of the arm is a reflection of the zeitgeist's continual rotting desire in TV making it more like an "atom bomb"  . . . it all feels very much like he's trying to force the material to fit his theory. I think partly this is because S3 is doing so many different things at once and part of the genius of S3 is that it probably can support many different interpretations - which in some ways supports his theory that Lynch is partly interested in engaging us as the audience to connect and cogitate, rather than solve a mystery. 

Some really good things here that absolutely will affect how I view the show moving forward. His explanation for why Coop tells Laura to NOT take the ring is probably one of the most compelling I've ever heard (Coop's intuition is based on what we as the audience are aware of - and at this point in the movie, our only knowledge of the ring is that bad things happen to people who come in contact with it). In addition, the extra line on the ring representing an additional timeline of FWWM is genius, and links in well to the imagery in S3 when Jeffrey pulls apart the own cave and reconstructs it as a mobius loop. The idea that Twin Peaks is a show that is focused on finding beauty in the mundane, in contrast to the horrors of violence feels spot on - in my current re-watch, I've found that my desire on first viewing for Dougie to just "WAKE UP" and be Coop has been replaced with an appreciation for the beauty and simplicity of the character - something the Twin Perfect guy would probably whole heartedly endorse. 

One theory watching this generated in me:

If it is true that Coop's intuition is a reflection of what the audience knows at any one point in time, and the TV show is aware that it's a TV show then:

The infinite loop that we see from Jeffries is the loop of the events of the show. Mr. C. has Coop's intuition, so is, at times, aware of what we know, and part of that awareness is that he is in a TV show. This is why he so often looks directly at the screen, as if he could see through it, to the people beyond (in the jail videos, or at the "Farm" for example). It also the reason he has "never really left home" - because his "home" is the TV show that he, horribly, is aware he is being forced to play out, over and over. 

Edited by T3551ER
added intended spoilers tabs

4 hours ago, T3551ER said:

The idea that Twin Peaks is a show that is focused on finding beauty in the mundane, in contrast to the horrors of violence feels spot on - in my current re-watch, I've found that my desire on first viewing for Dougie to just "WAKE UP" and be Coop has been replaced with an appreciation for the beauty and simplicity of the character

Nice. I've watched the series twice so far, might go in for round 3 next year, but I loved Dougie from the first watch, the way that he gets by in life by just repeating the last thing that his conversation partner says was hilarious, especially when the mafia brothers are about to kill him and he has the cherry pie in the box, a timeless moment. I haven't checked out this 4.5 hour interpretation, but from what people have been saying about it, it sounds interesting and worth the time. I agree with you too that one of Lynch's brilliant points is in generating great empathy and interest in characters when the world in which they live is bewilderingly unclear, uncertain, and seemingly incomprehensible. 

Edited by Guest