4 minutes ago, goDel said:

keep with it. in the end the puzzle largely fits like a glove. too much is in plain sight for it to be nonsense. and it also 'gets' all the stuff which previously made no sense. even from the cone flicks perspective. and this is basically where its strength is. it's an all encompassing theory which can explain anything.

I'll try. I'm worried it'll kinda ruin Twin Peaks for me though. I like having my own idea of what it's all about.

• Like 1

in the end you could either discard it. or use this perspective to enrich the experience.

it's a new perspective on the show. although it's going to be difficult to unsee it, i'm guessing. but as far as im concerned, that's a good thing. that's my thing though. i had some grapes with stuff in tp3 being too inconsequential or deus ex machina. that kinda ruined my experience of the 3rd season. this perspective gives a bit more debth. which helps for me. otherwise it's just like watching clouds in the sky and trying to see stuff in it. again, that's me.

My thoughts/opinions are easily colored by other people's opinions so I think I'm gonna stop while my own thoughts are intact otherwise I won't be able to watch Twin Peaks through my own lens.

So, I made it through the whole 4.5 hours or whatever. A high degree of respect for this guy, for doing some very in-depth research, and putting together a very complicated take on the series. It's set forth like a decent academic paper, and I appreciate his approach - like any good academic piece, it has a thesis and then introduces evidence to support it, tries to address points that may be contradictory, and is willing to acknowledge (some) areas that the author is unclear on. 

However:

Spoiler

Although I thought the first couple of hours did an excellent job of arguing for the meta nature of the show in S1 and S2, and for why Twin Peaks was made to be what it was (as an antidote to the senseless, inconsequential violence by forcing audiences to connect with the large effects of actual violence, appreciating the beauty of the mundane, etc.), I felt like his arguments for S3 were much less strong. The use of vehicles to represent the "vehicle" of the show, Charlie's alluding to Laura when talking about "ending Audrey's story," the evolution of the arm is a reflection of the zeitgeist's continual rotting desire in TV making it more like an "atom bomb"  . . . it all feels very much like he's trying to force the material to fit his theory. I think partly this is because S3 is doing so many different things at once and part of the genius of S3 is that it probably can support many different interpretations - which in some ways supports his theory that Lynch is partly interested in engaging us as the audience to connect and cogitate, rather than solve a mystery. 

Some really good things here that absolutely will affect how I view the show moving forward. His explanation for why Coop tells Laura to NOT take the ring is probably one of the most compelling I've ever heard (Coop's intuition is based on what we as the audience are aware of - and at this point in the movie, our only knowledge of the ring is that bad things happen to people who come in contact with it). In addition, the extra line on the ring representing an additional timeline of FWWM is genius, and links in well to the imagery in S3 when Jeffrey pulls apart the own cave and reconstructs it as a mobius loop. The idea that Twin Peaks is a show that is focused on finding beauty in the mundane, in contrast to the horrors of violence feels spot on - in my current re-watch, I've found that my desire on first viewing for Dougie to just "WAKE UP" and be Coop has been replaced with an appreciation for the beauty and simplicity of the character - something the Twin Perfect guy would probably whole heartedly endorse. 

One theory watching this generated in me:

If it is true that Coop's intuition is a reflection of what the audience knows at any one point in time, and the TV show is aware that it's a TV show then:

The infinite loop that we see from Jeffries is the loop of the events of the show. Mr. C. has Coop's intuition, so is, at times, aware of what we know, and part of that awareness is that he is in a TV show. This is why he so often looks directly at the screen, as if he could see through it, to the people beyond (in the jail videos, or at the "Farm" for example). It also the reason he has "never really left home" - because his "home" is the TV show that he, horribly, is aware he is being forced to play out, over and over. 

Edited by T3551ER
added intended spoilers tabs

4 hours ago, T3551ER said:

The idea that Twin Peaks is a show that is focused on finding beauty in the mundane, in contrast to the horrors of violence feels spot on - in my current re-watch, I've found that my desire on first viewing for Dougie to just "WAKE UP" and be Coop has been replaced with an appreciation for the beauty and simplicity of the character

Nice. I've watched the series twice so far, might go in for round 3 next year, but I loved Dougie from the first watch, the way that he gets by in life by just repeating the last thing that his conversation partner says was hilarious, especially when the mafia brothers are about to kill him and he has the cherry pie in the box, a timeless moment. I haven't checked out this 4.5 hour interpretation, but from what people have been saying about it, it sounds interesting and worth the time. I agree with you too that one of Lynch's brilliant points is in generating great empathy and interest in characters when the world in which they live is bewilderingly unclear, uncertain, and seemingly incomprehensible. 

Edited by Guest

18 hours ago, Drum Up said:

Nice. I've watched the series twice so far, might go in for round 3 next year, but I loved Dougie from the first watch, the way that he gets by in life by just repeating the last thing that his conversation partner says was hilarious, especially when the mafia brothers are about to kill him and he has the cherry pie in the box, a timeless moment. I haven't checked out this 4.5 hour interpretation, but from what people have been saying about it, it sounds interesting and worth the time. I agree with you too that one of Lynch's brilliant points is in generating great empathy and interest in characters when the world in which they live is bewilderingly unclear, uncertain, and seemingly incomprehensible. 

Ahh, yeah, the cherry pie moment is great! A lot of joy in the Dougie sections . . . if you let yourself enjoy it ^o^. By the way, if you haven't seen it, Being There w/ Peter Sellers is a good touchstone for the origins of the Dougie character. A great movie in general, but particularly good if you liked Dougie. 

4.5 hr video is great - definitely opened me up to seeing things differently, which is hard, because I'm old and stagnant. Don't think it's nearly as definitive as it makes itself out to be, but def some good work/interesting stuff in there!

agree with the above. can't escape the feeling that he sometimes really does see what he wants to see. regardless, what an effort. almost worth watching just for the sake of watching somebody putting this much work into something. 

also (spoiler alert):

having trouble grappling with the idea that twin peaks was destroyed by cooper (us, the audience?) and diane (twin peaks) having sex and ultimately never existed. rewatched the last bit but didn't get any wiser. anybody understand what he meant? in writing this i'm thinking he means that the real, unspoiled twin peaks never existed as it was meant to, but that doesn't really do it for me

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just started watching "The Return" again, binged episodes 1-4 the other night and I REALLY loved it.  The awkward bits felt even more awkward, the funny bits made me LOL IRL and the freaky bits still made me feel uneasy.  The call back to the first 2 series also hit home in a harder way.  Great tv.  Cannot wait to carry on watching it. 

Oscar for Michael Cera

9 hours ago, Tim_J said:

any recommendations? have no idead which specs to have in consideration when buying one, except that i want region free...

Just buy a console. Double the fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Squee said:

Just buy a console. Double the fun!

Yeah, a PS3 is dirt cheap on Ebay.

Also... the 2 guys responsible for the excellent podcast "Twin peaks Unwrapped" have just released a book, and it looks quite interesting.  I will order a copy if any get shipped over here to the UK, carriage makes it quite pricey.

https://www.bluerosemag.com/?product=twin-peaks-unwrapped-book

52 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

is it region free? now i'm confused if it's the player or the disc itself that need to be region free...

Yes, PS3's are region free players, they play everything.

DVDs are a bit trickier and can be regional only - but blu rays should be absolutely fine.  You can buy a 2nd hand Ps3 with a whole load of games for about £60

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

Yes, PS3's are region free players, they play everything.

DVDs are a bit trickier and can be regional only - but blu rays should be absolutely fine.  You can buy a 2nd hand Ps3 with a whole load of games for about £60

awesome show, great job!

• Like 1