http://folk.uio.no/perjp/tp/mythology.php

A bit of deep explanation (?) here.

Though it's always really interesting to look things up that might explain a Lynchian universe, I think you need to keep in mind that Lynch doesn't spend a lot of time thinking about the stuff he does. I was reading a couple of pages here and there in my "Lynch on Lynch" book and I stumbled upon this great conversation:

Interviewer: "Many scenes in your films feature the failure of electricity: the faulty neons in the autopsy room in Twin Peaks; the buzzing light fittings in Dorothy Vallen's apartment block in Blue Velvet, for example. Electrical currents also seem to announce imminent danger or revelation, as in the stroblight effect you use constantly in Twin Peaks.

Lynch: Right, exactly, right. Exactly. And what it means, I don't know.

But as Lynch has said before, whatever the audience is left thinking after having watched Twin Peaks or a Lynch movie is, according to Lynch, correct.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

I re-watched the whole lot a few months ago. I'd forgotten just how much of a rough a time Leo has through the series. He gets properly kicked in the balls with both feet by karma

Though it's always really interesting to look things up that might explain a Lynchian universe, I think you need to keep in mind that Lynch doesn't spend a lot of time thinking about the stuff he does. I was reading a couple of pages here and there in my "Lynch on Lynch" book and I stumbled upon this great conversation:

Interviewer: "Many scenes in your films feature the failure of electricity: the faulty neons in the autopsy room in Twin Peaks; the buzzing light fittings in Dorothy Vallen's apartment block in Blue Velvet, for example. Electrical currents also seem to announce imminent danger or revelation, as in the stroblight effect you use constantly in Twin Peaks.

But as Lynch has said before, whatever the audience is left thinking after having watched Twin Peaks or a Lynch movie is, according to Lynch, correct.

this is partly true and partly not. lynch doesn't spend time thinking about how to be lynch (or the great things he does) but he does know why he has strobing lights and what they mean to him. the thing is, if he told the interviewer what they meant, then that's it. nobody will look at those strobing lights or electricity failure in any other way.

this is partly true and partly not. lynch doesn't spend time thinking about how to be lynch (or the great things he does) but he does know why he has strobing lights and what they mean to him. the thing is, if he told the interviewer what they meant, then that's it. nobody will look at those strobing lights or electricity failure in any other way.

That's true. He never gives anyone any answers, but I think a lot of the time he just follows in intuition... not that I have any way of knowing this, but it's my guess.

btw: does anyone here live in los angeles (or been here)? the twin peaks 20th anniversary was held at clifton's cafeteria and if you've been there you know how lynchie that place is. well, on that day, things were extra lynchie.

twin-peaks-20-2.jpg

I re-watched the whole lot a few months ago. I'd forgotten just how much of a rough a time Leo has through the series. He gets properly kicked in the balls with both feet by karma

Fun fact - My house plant is named Leo Johnson after the state he becomes ('New shoes') during the second series.

Fun fact - My house plant is named Leo Johnson after the state he becomes ('New shoes') during the second series.

lol

That's true. He never gives anyone any answers, but I think a lot of the time he just follows in intuition... not that I have any way of knowing this, but it's my guess.

actually that's it. before he did made mulholland drive, he was going to make it a tv show like twin peaks, but he didn't want to explain the meanings of certain things in the storyline and so the studios passed- regardless of the fact that he gave the best pitch anyone could remember. as i remember, i think he had even began on the 2nd version of the script- but his version of a television show relies on constantly stringing you along with a mystery only to betray you with another mystery as the reveal partly like a daytime soap opera

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Hahaha

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

...he was going to make it a tv show like twin peaks, but he didn't want to explain the meanings of certain things in the storyline and so the studios passed- regardless of the fact that he gave the best pitch anyone could remember. as i remember, i think he had even began on the 2nd version of the script- but his version of a television show relies on constantly stringing you along with a mystery only to betray you with another mystery as the reveal partly like a daytime soap opera

Considering this is basically how a lot of successful series seem to be made these days, not to mention how much interest there would be in any new Lynch project, I'm actually surprised this wasn't picked up

• 2 weeks later...

Ok just watched the last episode. I can see why so many people were disappointed with it as there is so much left open. Any one got any views on the following (and yes, it probably all has been blogged about elsewhere by numberous people / theories....)

Why do people get twitching hands in the penultimate episode?

Why is Leo shown holding a piece of string in the last episode and what happens to him?

Was Ben Donna's father and what was he about to say before he got killed (presume he was killed as thats why he showed up in the Black Lodge)

Who was the log lady's husband and what did he have to do with it?

Laura's mother tells the colonel that her message is "I'm waiting for you in the Black Lodge" so I was half expecting the colonel to be shown in the Black Lodge but it kinda just ends there.

Never really understood Doctor Jacoby, what was he all about?

A few things that do get resolved which I quite liked

Lucy and Andy getting together and falling in love! Love how Andy cries at every possible opportunity. Favourite characters of the show by far.

James just disappears never to be seen again. Great.

Presume that Audrey is killed in the bank vault explosion and

Nadeen (sp?) reverting to her former self after a bump on the head and asking about her drapes (something to do with the doppleganger theme perhaps?)

In all honesty, I think Lynch just set up all these weird situations just to fuck with people.

But...

I've read somewhere that Lynch was planning on letting Audrey survive and make a spin-off show with her which sounded a bit like what Mulholland Drive ended up being

i just re-watched the entire series and FWWM.

in FWWM Laura has a dream in which Annie tells her that good Dale is in the lodge and he can't leave. only now i understand that this is Annie (from the future) while she was in the black lodge waiting for Coop to save her in the last episode of the series. so after all Coop is alright! :happy: c'mon gives TWIN PEAKS S03!!!

why would Lynch would want us to think that Audrey died i don't even... :sad:

also, in FWWM, when Bobby kills that drug dealer in the woods, Laura starts laghing at him saying you killed mike, you killed mike, and he goes, is this Mike?

who's this Mike? was it a joke because he warned her not to tell Mike (Bobby's best friend) about the deal?

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Ok just watched the last episode. I can see why so many people were disappointed with it as there is so much left open. Any one got any views on the following (and yes, it probably all has been blogged about elsewhere by numberous people / theories....)

• Why do people get twitching hands in the penultimate episode?
have you seen FWWM?

• Why is Leo shown holding a piece of string in the last episode and what happens to him?

he's holding a box full of spiders, it's shown on the penultimate episode. it was a booby trap that Windom Earle set.

• Was Ben Donna's father and what was he about to say before he got killed (presume he was killed as thats why he showed up in the Black Lodge)

i guess he just went to explain it all and make it all clear since last time he spoke with Donna she left runing hithout wanting to ear any explanations...

• Who was the log lady's husband and what did he have to do with it?

well, he lived in the woods, he was probably also taken to the black lodge, kinda like Major Briggs...

• Laura's mother tells the colonel that her message is "I'm waiting for you in the Black Lodge" so I was half expecting the colonel to be shown in the Black Lodge but it kinda just ends there.

Laura's mother said and i quote: I'm in the lodge with Dale Cooper.

yeah i also don't understand why this message was delivered to Briggs, now that i think about it, Briggs had been in the black lodge few days before this, maybe he came back as a bad Briggs just like Cooper on the end of the series, that would explain why Bob (laura's mother) tells Major Briggs such a thing.

• Never really understood Doctor Jacoby, what was he all about?

hippy factor?

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

• 2 months later...

Aw yeah... I started watching Twin Peaks again with my girlfriend who has never seen it before. Unfortunately, she knows who the killer is, but luckily there is so much more to it than that. We're about to start on season 2 and even though there are a bunch of unbearable episodes in that season, there are still some really memorable scenes, such as...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F8gLejzxLk

Oh shit, and the music in season 2 is fucking amazing!

When I watched it the second time, I thought that Dr. Jacoby was sort of like Tobias from Arrested Development when he was still a licensed therapist. He even has a few funny innuendos like "Laura built a wall around herself that I spent a year trying to penetrate, and the fact that I could not... I consider myself an aaabject failure." Because you know he was trying.

Originally posted by Nebraska in the Noise thread:

a2722643893_2.jpg

A noise tribute to David Lynch's Twin Peaks. Featuring: Newton (Philly) Vomir (France) Inappropriate King Live (Justin Marc Lloyd) (Chicago) Dead Body Collection (Serbia) Vasectomy Party (Florida) Small Hours (U.K.) Lovebrrd (Florida) Goghal (Belgium) Subversive Intentions (Maine) Sleep of Ages (Brazil) Italics (Philly)

http://foreverescapingboredom.bandcamp.com/album/v-a-secrets-are-dangerous-things-a-noise-tribute-to-twin-peaks

says its sold out (shame) but you can still listen to it @ link above