The first episode till Ep4 reminded me of X-Files and what a proper modern X-Files could be like. The atmosphere and the creepiness in the forest shots and the glass box creature were great and wouldn't be out of place for X-Files, so I got the itch out of modern X-Files and Twin Peaks at the same time, with Mulholland Dr. mixed in.

Angelo Badalamenti is 80 years old so I'm not surprised by the absence of his music but I wouldn't be equality surprised if the sound files he gave Lynch years ago are still being mixed in and used in Lynch's sound design.

That scene where Richard steals the money and jewellery. I knew I'd heard that music before. Lynch must be a vaporwave fan.

https://brokenlift.bandcamp.com/track/discounts-2

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess this is a reference to One Flew Over The Cuckoo's nest soundtrack? Just found that out

Edited by joshuatx

otherwise, couldn't help but think lynch has got a pretty cynical view of human beings. this was a pretty dark episode.

Of humanity, yeah, I think so. Of human beings, not at all. In fact Twin Peaks has his unique quality of injecting earnest and goodness into a very dark and cynical universe. There are so many good people on this show, characters who are even cartoonish in their moral high ground and good judgement, but are nonetheless quirky, goofy, aloof regular folks, who deal with this evil. That's what I've always liked about it. 

Lust for power and money are all presented in it's ugliest form, this episode especially. (The atomic bomb scene was a damning statement of humanity's evil on a broader sense.) Even the Dougie sex scene was such a positive (albeit goofy) juxtaposition of love and joyful titillation compared to the perpetual underbelly of lust (exploitation via prostitution is apparently still very much an issue - remember the sweeping scene phone call) and misogyny that is ongoing in Twin Peaks. Part of the reason Richard Horne (and Chad for that fact) are so despicable is that they are just assholes abusing power. I think Richard might have a connection to evil Coop or whatever but right now all we are seeing is self-centered scumbug with no sense of guilt, remorse, or responsibility. He's a junkie causing mayhem. Chad is an accomplice to it. Shit happens to small town America all the time. You don't need supernatural evil to be that way.

I was so happy Nadine had that store. The song at the end wasn't too great, sounded auto-tuned.

It was auto-tuned to fuck.

Very weird, since I wouldn't have thought Rebekah Del Rio would need her voice to be auto-tuned.

Yeah, that was kinda strange. Maybe it was done on purpose? I couldn't decide wether or not I liked it, it did give her vocals an otherwordly quality but otoh it just sounded like autotune.

Can't stop thinking it was somehow Moby's fault.

Edited by user

otherwise, couldn't help but think lynch has got a pretty cynical view of human beings. this was a pretty dark episode.

Of humanity, yeah, I think so. Of human beings, not at all. In fact Twin Peaks has his unique quality of injecting earnest and goodness into a very dark and cynical universe. There are so many good people on this show, characters who are even cartoonish in their moral high ground and good judgement, but are nonetheless quirky, goofy, aloof regular folks, who deal with this evil. That's what I've always liked about it. 

Lust for power and money are all presented in it's ugliest form, this episode especially. (The atomic bomb scene was a damning statement of humanity's evil on a broader sense.) Even the Dougie sex scene was such a positive (albeit goofy) juxtaposition of love and joyful titillation compared to the perpetual underbelly of lust (exploitation via prostitution is apparently still very much an issue - remember the sweeping scene phone call) and misogyny that is ongoing in Twin Peaks. Part of the reason Richard Horne (and Chad for that fact) are so despicable is that they are just assholes abusing power. I think Richard might have a connection to evil Coop or whatever but right now all we are seeing is self-centered scumbug with no sense of guilt, remorse, or responsibility. He's a junkie causing mayhem. Chad is an accomplice to it. Shit happens to small town America all the time. You don't need supernatural evil to be that way.

That cartoonishness is a huge part of why I think Lynch is very cynical though. It makes it look like people are incompetent and dishonest creatures, imo. Lynch writes cartoonish characters without a sense of self-reflection about their cartoonishness. There are some exceptions, but the average human being in this Lynchian fantasy is an incompetent idiot who lacks a decent conscience. Perhaps they need to be for the story, or he simply sees people that way. In either case i think it's cynical.

It did sound weird. I hope it was on purpose. I noticed she was credited as "acting" in the cast list, so perhaps it was all fake?

All the bands that have been on the show have been credited as 'acting' though

They appear on screen so are credited along with people who appear on screen. Standard.

Why does no one even mention Mark Frost above? TP and it's characters are at least 50% him.
That said I remember an interview with him where he explained that they try to balance the dark and light forces in TP but Lynch tends to be the more pessimistic of the two.

They appear on screen so are credited along with people who appear on screen. Standard.

Why does no one even mention Mark Frost above? TP and it's characters are at least 50% him.

That said I remember an interview with him where he explained that they try to balance the dark and light forces in TP but Lynch tends to be the more pessimistic of the two.

Yeah, Mark Frost doesn't get any of the blame for characters in the series, and he should!

Yes, I'm still bitter about the continuity errors in the book...

Can't stop thinking it was somehow Moby's fault.

Heheh yeah, that song was awful and I blamed Moby before walking out of the room.  Pretty sure Lynch is using studio versions of all the songs, and for some reason producers are still slapping autotune on everything.  That song would have been terrible either way.  Some songs are just born bad.

The song at the end of the previous episode was fantastic though.  I need to hear more from that band.

pfffft snob

i guess every fart DL drops is a sign of genius in your eyes.

well, good luck to you and your opinions, sir.

farty on.