the last 40 minutes when he wipes twin peaks completely and goes full mulholland drive are just incredible and entrancing. that final scene that's playing at the background of the credits is also brilliant.

Kind of an odd, flat ending. I wasn't expecting any big payoffs but still, I came away wondering if the whole series was just some dream. In true Lynch style, the final two hours made no sense whatsoever.

Edited by fumi

Watched these on vacation in a mountain cabin in New Mexico. It was getting late and by the time we finished 17 I was getting a bit sleepy. (Charlie joke there for ya)

I had to finish 18 though or else I knew my mind would race trying to go to sleep. It was a beautiful episode...

detached from all the familiarity of the characters and places we love. It's a coda that feels like a dream...not a surreal one but more like a mundane memory you can't place. There's no indication any of it ever happened, but no resolution to confirm this. The hints we get are haunting ones: the white horse, the prom picture, and, I think, noises of the bug creature that entered Sarah as a child. They drive in the town, but it doesn't feel like we are there. Door opens and I realize this is it. There's no closure, no nice clean ending. Just melancholy.

Of all things that I was reminded of was a movie called Jumanji that has a similar ending of two people resolving something through time travel / time reset. It has a happy ending but there's this moment they realize everyone they knew won't remember them. They have memories of relationships they can never share. Silly movie but that part stuck with me.

I also thought of Gilliam's thoughts about what made Kubrick a great director, how his movies left you talking, thinking, wondering. This was such a nice departure from so many other tv shows, even ones I really enjoyed.

Two people lost and a bad feeling that they will never shake off, even if they don't know what it is. Laura had to die, literally or figuratively (ie by never existing as LP), and Cooper could never prevent that. If there's one guess I had to make it is that Laura told them something to that effect in the Lodge and by time he figured it out / remembered it was too late. It was fate, fate in a truly messy and real sense.

I loved it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Watched these on vacation in a mountain cabin in New Mexico. It was getting late and by the time we finished 17 I was getting a bit sleepy. (Charlie joke there for ya)

I had to finish 18 though or else I knew my mind would race trying to go to sleep. It was a beautiful episode...

detached from all the familiarity of the characters and places we love. It's a coda that feels like a dream...not a surreal one but more like a mundane memory you can't place. There's no indication any of it ever happened, but no resolution to confirm this. The hints we get are haunting ones: the white horse, the prom picture, and, I think, noises of the bug creature that entered Sarah as a child. They drive in the town, but it doesn't feel like we are there. Door opens and I realize this is it. There's no closure, no nice clean ending. Just melancholy.

Of all things that I was reminded of was a movie called Jumanji that has a similar ending of two people resolving something through time travel / time reset. It has a happy ending but there's this moment they realize everyone they knew won't remember them. They have memories of relationships they can never share. Silly movie but that part stuck with me.

I also thought of Gilliam's thoughts about what made Kubrick a great director, how his movies left you talking, thinking, wondering. This was such a nice departure from so many other tv shows, even ones I really enjoyed.

Two people lost and a bad feeling that they will never shake off, even if they don't know what it is. Laura had to die, literally or figuratively (ie by never existing as LP), and Cooper could never prevent that. If there's one guess I had to make it is that Laura told them something to that effect in the Lodge and by time he figured it out / remembered it was too late. It was fate, fate in a truly messy and real sense.

I loved it.

Glad you understood it. I couldn't make any sense of the last hour whatsoever, in as much as what Lynch was trying to say. For me, it was a mess.

Holy motherfucking shit. After thinking about what the fuck happened in the finale for about half an hour I came to the conclusion that I always come to after watching Lynch: it's all about the feeling and intensity. And Lynch chose to really shake up the whole universe that the viewer grew attached to. He did this by all means necessary. And he probably wanted us to feel the definite end of what is Twin Peaks. When something ends wrapped up nicely, as most series films do, it is not the end - the story stays with you. Lynch did the ultimate thing - he ended the story within the story. Man, I'm kind of sad and nervous. I think this is really big.

Holy motherfucking shit. After thinking about what the fuck happened in the finale for about half an hour I came to the conclusion that I always come to after watching Lynch: it's all about the feeling and intensity. And Lynch chose to really shake up the whole universe that the viewer grew attached to. He did this by all means necessary. And he probably wanted us to feel the definite end of what is Twin Peaks. When something ends wrapped up nicely, as most series films do, it is not the end - the story stays with you. Lynch did the ultimate thing - he ended the story within the story. Man, I'm kind of sad and nervous. I think this is really big.

I'm uneasy too,  but I have nothing but admiration for the man, we could've gotten a fairytale ending much like Part 17 midway through, but he made it beyond uncomfortable.  No one saw it coming.

You summed up the bold quite nicely.

I was on edge the whole time in a very strange way, not quite nervous or full of dread. Unravelled is the best way to describe it.

I loved it.

Glad you understood it. I couldn't make any sense of the last hour whatsoever, in as much as what Lynch was trying to say. For me, it was a mess.

Thanks. All of the more fleshed out and detailed theories/explanations are way way beyond my understanding or focus to form myself. This was what I thought before hopping on reddit.

I wasn't expecting everything to be all neatly tied up, that's not Lynch's style. However, I just didn't understand the significance of tpart 18. It seemed pointless to me because I didn't understand how it was supposed to relate to what had happened in the previous 17 episodes. What was any of the final episode supposed to mean? Maybe someone can explain it to me.

It was a disappointing end to a really, really good series. I totally enjoyed it up until the last hour.

It really started to bother me as I went to bed last night and I woke up too early today thinking about it. It felt just like a nightmare that I myself had. You guys remember how Hawk was explaining those symbols? When he pointed to the "diamond with arms" thing, he said something like "you don't ever want to mess with that". That's how Jeffries communicated to Cooper. The diamond thing came out of the tea kettle and then morphed into an 8.

The dread started with the sex scene for me. Then, the rotting corpse in Laura's house really got to me. Now I look at some sick shit and was even an autopsy assistant for awhile. There was worse gore on the show and I celebrated it with glee. There was something "oh fuck" about that moment that unsettled me beyond the visceral horror of it.

It's hilarious to me because Lynch did give you the soap opera ending. The chav punching Bob to bits and everybody cheering satisfied the cliche of happily ever after. However, it's never gonna be that simple. What a king. Lynch got me twisted all day.

The soap opera stuff was overshadowed but totally as relevant. These really were quintessential TP episodes.

Speaking of the Odessa Laura the hospital toilet, bucket and toilet paper...all of the cleaning supplies and nonchalant dismissal of the body sitting there is what sent it into more disturbing territory.

Yeah it was nearly 40mins of very mundane reality, I think that's what bought on the dread. The gas station. "there's someone following us" oh, no there isn't. It was almost fourth wall breaking but in a really unique way.

I also noticed the horse.

That sex scene with Diane was something. He appeared to have zero enjoyment or just tense like it's his first time. It was clear when she covered his face, she couldn't look at him. Was it also because of her previous rape experience with evil Coo? Could be. It's like he wanted her to fall out of love with him.

We were discussing that earlier in chatmm. We have no idea who came out of that motel office, and the other Diane was def a clue to that.
He acted like Mr C during the sex scene. 

The other reason she may have been upset is she knew she was literally fucking him into one more dimension and therefor losing him again. Possibly it was a sex magick thing, Crowley style, to get him there.

at first i thought its the beginning of the bad cooper also because of the sex scene maybe thats what diane meant by he raped her," in a emotional way".
also he acts a bit like the bad one, i think that even david lynch doesnt fully understand the ending or he was baked as hell.