IGNORED

Tortoise - TBA

Guest texan whip

Best news of the year so far! Tortoise are one of my favourite bands of all time. Even though this is tentative news it's promising to hear something other than tour info from them. I was beginning to think they'd given up on writing new material!

Tortoise makes my soul boogie.

TNT is one of the greatest albums of all time. Of ALL TIME.

Also, John McEntire, the main brain behind Tortoise turns everything to gold, pretty much.

Guest wutherslgf

Awesome news. Anyone ever check out Gastr del Sol? Bundy Brown and John McEntire collaborated with that group a little (it had split off from Bastro, of which McEntire and Brown were members).

Awesome news. Anyone ever check out Gastr del Sol? Bundy Brown and John McEntire collaborated with that group a little (it had split off from Bastro, of which McEntire and Brown were members).

yeah gastr del sol are a definite favourite. one of the best "rock" (as in: non-electronic) groups ever. especially the line-up on camoufleur - o'rourke, grubbs, popp - is a match made in heaven; they really should settle their shit and make another album.

Guest wutherslgf

yeah gastr del sol are a definite favourite. one of the best "rock" (as in: non-electronic) groups ever. especially the line-up on camoufleur - o'rourke, grubbs, popp - is a match made in heaven; they really should settle their shit and make another album.

word. I love O'Rourke and Grubbs on their own, but nothing they've done is quite as amazing as camoufleur and serpentine similar.

Johnny Mac was part of the reason I took up drums (and more specifically Brazilian and African/Afro-Cuban drumming).

Here is my favorite all-time Tortoise tune (the drumming sounds like John Bonham playing Afrobeat):

I've to admit I quite forgot this band after discovering Millions... and TNT something like two years ago. This thread made me listen to those two albums again and now I can remember it's very good.

Listening to Beacons Of Ancestorship (first track) now and it sound good ! Thanks for the recall

like Beacons but it sounds a little muddy or brickwalled to me. I don't know.

Yeah that's what I might have thought from this first listening. But that wasn't an extremely focused one, I'll need to give this albums some other listening. Some bits sounded really cool though, especially within the first half or so.

This came out as a single back in October. The track is about 3:50 long, not sure why the vid lasts much longer. Anayway, it reminds me of the Standards stuff.

Tortoise are one band I'm pretty certain I'll never have the privilege of seeing live. New album will compensate just fine though.

Why's that? I've seen them twice (and had the opportunity to see them a third time last year) and I live in fucking Australia.

If Beth Gibbons sang to a Tortoise track, you have Tortoisehead, or Portoise. Just a thought. Anyway, it's been a while since I've binged on this band.

Archived