IGNORED

Machinedrum - Clissold VIP

cear

01 April, 2013 - Astrophonica - APHAVIP003

TRACKLIST

01. Clissold VIP

oYkVAKj.jpg

Astrophonica end their trilogy of VIP 10″s with Machine Drum‘s take on ‘Jungle Juke’. [...] Each sleeve is screen-printed in two colours, hand stamped and the whole run is limited to 300 of each disc. [...]

http://www.surus.co.uk/Astrophonica/Clissold-VIP-21300.aspx

such a drastic difference in quality of musicianship with Machinedrum vs like 100 other hyped up electronic artists right now. Kids these days!

It's also really refreshing seeing someone who has worked for awhile, releasing on Merck, cranking out excellent remixes, and really pouring a lot of technical effort in his work break through among the younger hyped producers.

Anyone remember this?

http://www.xlr8r.com/mp3/2007/02/911

i mean he just utterly destroys anybody else similar trying to make music right now, if there are others who are doing it with the skill and grace he is I'm just not aware. It seems like people are under the false impression that you can get by with just rapid fire in your face 808 abuse and its automatically a 'juke' track or whatever the fuck the label is for stuff like this right now

yeh but his prior work was most of the times either heavily inspired by Prefuse73 or Boards Of Canada, not a bad thing - but it feels he has only just found his own sound/thing since 'Want To 1 2?'

the only thing previous to his work on Rooms that i loved was his Syndrone release off of Merck. Probably because besides Phonecia's Brownout and Richard Devine's work at the same time, he was the only one making quality music inspired by AE's Confield and beyond period.

now what would really my dick hard is some Syndrone juke, i would shit myself if he did that (and maybe get shit all over my boner at the same time). To me this pretty much also destroys 90% of any AE imitators attempt. Why this doesn't get as much love as Arovane around here baffles me, Arovane to me exemplifies for the most part the *wrong* way to take AE's sound and make something of your own from it.

Guest Gravity

God, I can't wait for his new album. I think I read somewhere that it should be out before summer? I donno.

Unreleased track here... that vocal at 0:43, fuck. So smooth.

the only thing previous to his work on Rooms that i loved was his Syndrone release off of Merck. Probably because besides Phonecia's Brownout and Richard Devine's work at the same time, he was the only one making quality music inspired by AE's Confield and beyond period.

now what would really my dick hard is some Syndrone juke, i would shit myself if he did that (and maybe get shit all over my boner at the same time). To me this pretty much also destroys 90% of any AE imitators attempt. Why this doesn't get as much love as Arovane around here baffles me, Arovane to me exemplifies for the most part the *wrong* way to take AE's sound and make something of your own from it.

wow thanks. i only realised just now i downloaded this months back and never really listened to it (i didn't know it was travis). gonna do it now!

yeh but his prior work was most of the times either heavily inspired by Prefuse73 or Boards Of Canada, not a bad thing - but it feels he has only just found his own sound/thing since 'Want To 1 2?'

To be fair both Prefuse and Machinedrum were developing their respective glitched-out hiphop sounds right around the same time (Now You Know actually came out just before Vocal Studies), only Prefuse got signed to Warp and got the accolades while Machinedrum remained in the lowlight. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that it was almost Travis that got signed to Warp (instead of Prefuse), though I've got nothing to back that up. Anyway I definitely agree with the finding his own sound part, he'd always been immensely talented but never quite seemed to hit on a style/medium to compliment his chops. And then this raw ore of juke/footwork comes out of Chicago or wherever and he's like "chill sons, leave it to a professional, I got this."

Definitely good to see the man getting his props after all these years, even if he's taken to dressing and acting like a total fruitcake. Will have to check out more of the earlier stuff, I quite like Half the Battle and Tstewart - Living Exponentially. The latter is some moody, twisted acoustica that sounds a bit like early Four Tet but with an altogether different adventurousness - highly recommended.

He's also done some awesome free mixes lately too - I've had the Fader, Mixmag and the JETS Fact mix all on heavy rotation in the past year or so.

Archived