IGNORED

Arovane - Ve Palor

BOCfan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the cover is fucking awful. He hasn't released anything in years, and THAT is the artwork? Him wearing sunglasses looking off to the distance? I will judge this album on it's musical merits of course but.. yeeesh. A blank cover with the title would have even been better.

Well, the cover is fucking awful. He hasn't released anything in years, and THAT is the artwork? Him wearing sunglasses looking off to the distance? I will judge this album on it's musical merits of course but.. yeeesh. A blank cover with the title would have even been better.

I kinda like the cover art; kinda Kraftwerkesque.

I kinda like the cover art; kinda Kraftwerkesque.

I exaggerated a little bit I suppose... it's not that bad, I just don't LIKE it. In retrospect, I don't know why I felt so strongly about it. I just hope it's a great album.

Don't you guys remember when Uwe put his face on that DIN twelve? I was wondering if that was an intentional association, considering the sound harkens back to the pre-Tides sound.

Atol Scrap is the only album of his that I like. Tides and Lilies both sounded good on the first 2 or 3 listens, then quickly fell flat for me.

agreed (though i still like the other albums)....Atol Scrap is utterly gorgeous. Thaem Nue, Tascel 7, all that good stuff. SO if it is in that vein, I cannot wait.

Atol Scrap is the only album of his that I like. Tides and Lilies both sounded good on the first 2 or 3 listens, then quickly fell flat for me.

I can relate to that. Tides still has some songs (Storm) which work for me, though. I never bought Lilies. It was too uninspired and generic. But Atol Scrap was the bomb.

Been so many years since I heard "Tides".. maybe I'll like it now? I really have no recollection of how it sounds, just that I was disappointed. Gonna have to go dig it up now, because I just heard Atol Scrap for the first time in 4 or 5 years and it was really fun.

I'm just glad Uwe is back doing anything at all. How many IDM artists from that era just disappeared overnight?

I'm with the above poster on Lilies - it remains the only thing he's released, side projects included, that I don't really like more than a couple cuts off of. I should revisit it again and see if that's still true now. I loved Tides but then again, Tides was where I found out about him, and then working backwards I had my mind blown.

I don't really regard Tides as an Arovane album either - it seems more like a collaborative project with Christian Kleine, who played all the guitars on the album and helped write it too. If you delve further into Kleine's material, it resembles Tides more than Arovane's stuff for sure. I also read that he did all the material for Tides while on a cruise or staying at some resort, vacationing in France? Seems appropriate for an "out of character" thing like that.

Anyway yeah, Atol is utterly gorgeous and all of the earlier EPs are as well. I think my favorite is still tied between I.O. and the untitled 12" on FFWD. Cycliph is incredible as well.

P.S. It almost doesn't feel like a proper Arovane return without some remix appearance by Torsten Profrock. N5MD, make it happen!

Archived