IGNORED

Marvellously beautiful TED talk

Bitraete

I guess the most painful thing to accept for some of you dorks trying to make a living making music, is that Amanda here perfectly shows that making an actual connection with your audience is key. So being stuck behind a screen in some dark basement wont get you very far, no matter how comfy it might seem. Tough luck, bro.

And yes, I do agree she comes across as having a shitty annoying self-important personality. But that's one of the aspects of being an artist, right? Haven't read her blog, btw. And no intentions to do so either.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And yes, I do agree she comes across as having a shitty annoying self-important personality. But that's one of the aspects of being an artist, right? Haven't read her blog, btw. And no intentions to do so either.

I believe the self-importance trait you're refering to is merely a construct of the modern age, more than it have anything to do with being an artist.

If you make stuff people like, you can get away with some other stuff. If you're nobody, everyone will notice your traits and even judge you for it.

People I know, and who I consider artists, are nowhere near any annoying self-important personality. On the contrary, they come across as being sensitive, empathetic and very tolerant people.

The student loan thing was an assumption, she simply said loans and debt in general...

Hold on though, that's not true! And it's incredibly misleading for you to spread your assumptions around as facts. She was pretty detailed about what the money was used for. Check the link.

>I don't think that her education justifies anything personally one way or the other, in fact I'd argue it's irrelevant which is why I find her mention of it unnecessary and muddled her later points.

To me it communicated two things. First, it didn't disparage her education; after all, she studied performance, to the best of my knowledge (long time blog reader). Second, that her chosen career - performance - turned out to be about a direct connection with her audience, once she started doing it on her own. Pretty simple.

In other words, I don't think she's exploitative or even hypocritical just don't really like her overall vibe and reasoning.

What do you perceive as her vibe and reasoning

I just think she's annoying. lol, sorry it's quite irrational on my part too. My statement was based on this:

but financially, realistically?

first i’ll pay off the lovely debt – stacks of bills and loans and the like – associated with readying all of the stuff that had to happen BEFORE i brought this project to kickstarter.

I don't want continue debating it, I can't even call it that really. It's not what I would do personally and not an ideal model to me, that's it. I said this earlier - she clearly has sincere fans and a sincere relationship with them and I respect that.

oh! from your hairy armpits comment I thought you were one of the haters. well, thanks for showing your support.

Don't get me wrong I find her pretty repulsive.

Her physical appearance should have nothing to do with any of this.

read what i said earlier... i gave her credit where it's due...

and her physical appearance is a tiny part of why i find her repulsive.

What I find repulsive about her is her whole "meaningful contact" shtick. Staring into the eyes of strangers and falling in love for a few seconds. Falling into the arms of strangers. Hugging them. Sleeping on thousands of couches. All these things are fine (not really, I want to puke in my mouth) -- but don't make such a fucking fuss about it! She's bragging and comes across as being smug and feeling entitled. I just don't buy it, she gives me the opposite vibes of what she's trying to convey.

And then we get to the million+ dollars, which are primarily channeled to the managers, the lawyers, to the debts. Her organizational maintenance costs (percentage wise) are pretty comparable to that of any "evil" major label, aren't they?

I guess the most painful thing to accept for some of you dorks trying to make a living making music, is that Amanda here perfectly shows that making an actual connection with your audience is key. So being stuck behind a screen in some dark basement wont get you very far, no matter how comfy it might seem. Tough luck, bro.

+1

What I find repulsive about her is her whole "meaningful contact" shtick. Staring into the eyes of strangers and falling in love for a few seconds. Falling into the arms of strangers. Hugging them. Sleeping on thousands of couches. All these things are fine (not really, I want to puke in my mouth) -- but don't make such a fucking fuss about it! She's bragging and comes across as being smug and feeling entitled. I just don't buy it, she gives me the opposite vibes of what she's trying to convey. (1)

And then we get to the million+ dollars, which are primarily channeled to the managers, the lawyers, to the debts. Her organizational maintenance costs (percentage wise) are pretty comparable to that of any "evil" major label, aren't they? (2)

What the opposite vibes?

Have we ever done what she's doing? How do we know what she needed to do it?

And if she didn't need to do that stuff, then surely she's just ignorant and screwing herself?

Whatever the case, she may not be perfect, but it doesn't make sense to not give any positive reinforcement for all the good things she is doing. One is that we can see where she's gone wrong and do it better ourselves.

But like goDel says, this may need coming out from hiding behind our screens. And if we can't do that, then at least her endeavour can trigger some creative thought about how we might better support ourselves and do what we love.

What I find repulsive about her is her whole "meaningful contact" shtick. Staring into the eyes of strangers and falling in love for a few seconds. Falling into the arms of strangers. Hugging them. Sleeping on thousands of couches. All these things are fine (not really, I want to puke in my mouth) -- but don't make such a fucking fuss about it! She's bragging and comes across as being smug and feeling entitled. I just don't buy it, she gives me the opposite vibes of what she's trying to convey.

This is what I was saying earlier, you've articulated better than I could. There's nothing wrong with liking her "shtick" either, I can't argue against it, I'd just be a cynical asshole in that case. I won't deny the feeling though either. I think the problem is that all of that fluff is what sets aside from others who have advocated for kickstarter, bandcamp, and the whole "name your price" model, which is something I support and which she advocates here. With her it's a very divisive "to each their own" situation regarding her appeal [and her eyebrows]: it's as simple as that.

I believe the self-importance trait you're refering to is merely a construct of the modern age, more than it have anything to do with being an artist.

If you make stuff people like, you can get away with some other stuff. If you're nobody, everyone will notice your traits and even judge you for it.

People I know, and who I consider artists, are nowhere near any annoying self-important personality. On the contrary, they come across as being sensitive, empathetic and very tolerant people.

OK, let me specify "artist" in Amanda's case: a performer on stage who's the lead singer of a band of sorts. That kind of artist. Lead singers, if you will. Does this help to come closer to some kind of agreement?

Guest theSun

WE (WATMM after all) know that you don't need 100k in lawyer fees to make music and most of us (i would) would feel guilty using donations for an album for your debts, whether it's student loans or owing a crack dealer (vsnares).

please tell me there's a story here

no story other than vsnares smokes crack, so i'm sure he's spent some album income on it

i don't really have much of a problem with what she's done i guess. surely there are musicians who mismanage their funds or spend money on things that i would not. maybe it's my extreme introversion but i am so fucking annoyed by her hippy shit

i do think kickstarter is a legit way to raise money, but i just think you should be clear with where the moneys gone that you raised with donations. palmer seems to have done a better job with reporting this than i initially thought though, so this isn't a complaint against her specifically

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Iain C

When I started reading this thread and saw Amanda Palmer front and centre, I figured it'd been bumped because of her poem - not disappointed.

It's a really exceptionally bad poem, and I've read Kipling.

Oh and she also links to a Scientology based fundraiser thingy

The One Fund is Scientology based?

Well, it could be I made a mistake there. I googled the link Amanda gave, and it was also linked on a VOAD (Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster) website, which Scientology is a part of. Looking at the guy she recently married, I just jumped to a conclusion. I didn't really research it thoroughly tho.

But all this is just distracting us from the beautiful poem she skillfully crafted.

Guest theSun

But all this is just distracting us from the beautiful poem she skillfully crafted.

this is the real Boston Tragedy

you don’t know how many vietnamese soft rolls to order.

wat

No, no... That is a legitimate problem.

Good ted talk. I've had her mindset on the issue for a while now. The best way to pay for art is to have everyone pay what they feel it is worth and they have a better feel when they are connected with the artist and informed of the art.

For real though, that "poem" is the sound of a face missing the palm and plowing right into the concrete. It makes Pearl Jam lyrics look like "The Waste Land" by comparison.

you don’t know how to adjust the rearview mirror.

:wtf:

you don’t know how many vietnamese soft rolls to order.

wat

No, no... That is a legitimate problem.

fair enough, I suppose I'm too oriented toward having leftovers to have it be a problem personally

Archived