IGNORED

stupid first world achievements and successes

eugene

All my background and pre-screenings cleared, so I officially have a new job/internship. I start on the 15th! Graphic Designing for the city of Minneapolis. I gotta be in at 7:30 am though everyday, got about a week and a half or so to get my sleep schedule adjusted...

The track I submitted for the Remix the Symphony contest won a spot on an EP the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra is sponsoring.  Pretty cool.  It was a reimagining of Miroirs III. Oiseaux Tristes by Maurice Ravel.

Hot damn. I want to hear that!

I'll be sure to post the EP when it's up!  Should be in the next couple weeks.

Here it is:

http://remixthesymphony.com/2017/04/remix-ep/

My track is the closer.

no you won't. this is a very hot topic in audio related forums i frequent, and no one has ever show the ability to differentiate "hi-res" (88-192 khz sampling rate) audio containing ultrasonic freqs above ~20khz from the same audio exactly downsampled to regular cd format (44/16).

the "clear" differences you might hear are either artifacts introduced by your system  incapable of dealing with higher freqs (inter-modulation distortion, most likely.) or placebo in most of the cases, so you should do those test blind and with properly matched levels of the two files you're comparing.

Then explain why for instance the Kush Clariphonic parallel EQ makes such a huge difference when you switch on the shimmer and silk band. I'm not saying we can hear things up to 34kHz which is what the Clariphonic EQ can mess around with but it changes the undertones which changes what we hear

i dunno what that kush does and how it works, maybe it emulates some kind of analog effect and doesn't just filter and EQ? i dunno. but in digital domain you can filter out freqs perfectly, and you simply can't hear what you can't hear. if for example you send a 1khz sine into some DAC and then mix an additional ultrasonic 30khz sine to it, there shouldn't be any 3rd wave (of anywhere near audible levels) appearing out of nowhere, and you would see just those two on the spectrograph if you'd connect it to the DAC output. that is unless the DAC is complete shit and has actual issues with intermodulation distortion, which is very unlikely even with very cheap DACs these days. 

Spent the last two days writing a section of a new story that relies heavily on observations I've made about a coworker I detest and wish would disappear into a cosmic vortex. It has been very therapeutic: 5000 words of character assassination in prose form.

Who said hate wasn't productive?

Survived the first day of my internship despite having to struggle to figure out how to get the mega-shitty Word 2010 on Windows to do the shit I learned how to do in the 2016 version in MacOS... Also probably could have just done it in InDesign but they don't have Creative Suite installed on my computer yet. Fortunately, I don't expect to have to deal with Word too much for what I'll be doing a lot of once I settle in.

Neat. Which places did you travel yourself to?

Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Prague, and Berlin. Now I miss Europe so I started using a moka percolator and rolling spliffs when I got home because I was bout that life fo real.

Barcelona and Berlin are top tier places on Earth.

Not sure where else to put this...lol

But I got caught in my regular "click through a ton of wikipedia pages learning useless shit" when I landed on swordfish (the fish not the movie). 

Anyways, I'm reading, and in one paragraph it says "It also requires a fishing level of 50 and cooking level of 45". Lol is that a runescape reference?  :cerious:

Looks like someone snuck it in as a joke.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

Not sure where else to put this...lol

But I got caught in my regular "click through a ton of wikipedia pages learning useless shit" when I landed on swordfish (the fish not the movie). 

Anyways, I'm reading, and in one paragraph it says "It also requires a fishing level of 50 and cooking level of 45". Lol is that a runescape reference?  :cerious:

Looks like someone snuck it in as a joke.

lol

But I'm pretty sure this belongs in the "What If I Told You..." thread.  :watmm:

Edited by auxien