IGNORED

stupid first world achievements and successes

eugene

I ate at an amazing indian buffet today. Naan bread and butter chicken for the win

you know naan is bread.. i mean.. it means bread.  so you're saying "i had some bread bread".

pay no mind.. just being a dick. also salsa = sauce. so don't say salsa sauce though i've seen mexicans crack a smile at gringos like me when it happens. 

oh, 1st world success... i bought new wipers for my car yesterday. it started raining today. my windshield is clear as can be. there should be a parade in my honor. 

I ate at an amazing indian buffet today. Naan bread and butter chicken for the win

you know naan is bread.. i mean.. it means bread.  so you're saying "i had some bread bread".

pay no mind.. just being a dick. also salsa = sauce. so don't say salsa sauce though i've seen mexicans crack a smile at gringos like me when it happens. 

oh, 1st world success... i bought new wipers for my car yesterday. it started raining today. my windshield is clear as can be. there should be a parade in my honor. 

This post

75mm_medal__92199.jpg

MUAH!!

!hype

HYPE!

congrats squee!

HYPE!

It's a test pressing so it's not out yet. But if everything goes well it'll be out in a couple of months

this is not quite true. "roti" is bread, "naan" refers to a specific kind of bread. granted, brown people generally don't say "naan roti" and usually just say "naan", but I think you can get away with being a gora and saying "naan bread".

you cannot, however, get away with saying "chai tea", that shit sounds dumb every time. chai literally means tea.

this is not quite true. "roti" is bread, "naan" refers to a specific kind of bread. granted, brown people generally don't say "naan roti" and usually just say "naan", but I think you can get away with being a gora and saying "naan bread".

you cannot, however, get away with saying "chai tea", that shit sounds dumb every time. chai literally means tea.

dammit.  now i have to go post in the FWP thread about being a smarmy smart ass dick and being wrong about it. 

MUAH!!

!hype

HYPE!

congrats squee!

HYPE!

It's a test pressing so it's not out yet. But if everything goes well it'll be out in a couple of months

congrats!  i hope it goes well. i hope the pressing is up to snuff. 

Went to a wedding last weekend, drank some beers, was given free drugs, and met a nice lady that's like...two or three tiers out of my league. Last weekend was awesome.

dammit.  now i have to go post in the FWP thread about being a smarmy smart ass dick and being wrong about it. 

you weren't actually wrong, Naan comes from Persian (and just means bread), Roti comes from Sanskrit originally (also meaning bread). the main difference is an Iranian Naan doesn't use Yogurt usually, while an Indian one does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk6jVl1fAn0

^ behold, caze's entire presence on WATMM.

I know it's real difficult for you but try being less of a smarmy cunt and don't suggest your dilettante surface knowledge of everything trumps the lived experience of someone who comes from that culture. bhenchod.

way to take the words in the video literally. I'm surprised you haven't shouted "ad hominem!" or "straw man!" yet.

congs on your culinary achievement though, 20 years, omg, standing ovation. I hereby make you an honorary brown man.

the video is not just literally wrong, it had the exact opposite meaning. a 'well actually' is contradicting someone, not agreeing with them. you really are quite dim.

20 years is enough to allow for more than a surface knowledge about something, maybe you should hold off your snide remarks about people on the internet when you know fuck all about them? it makes you look like even more of a dumb cunt when you're not even right.

Etymology

From Hindi नान (nān)/Urdu نان‎ (nān), from Persian نان‎ (nān), from Middle Persian LHMA (nān, “bread, food”).

yes, very good.

only some bozo reading from a dictionary about literal meanings would miss how the word has evolved culturally to instinctively mean something slightly different from the dictionary meaning. you don't get the nuance, no surprise.

just stay in your lane, bwai.

Edited by usagi

lol usagi you're fighting a battle you can't win. caze has never been wrong, ever.

I'm sure I've been wrong plenty, but I wasn't wrong this time, the Parsi word Naan means bread (and still means bread, it's not just some archaic root). It's the same word, with the same orthography as in Urdu, same word in Hindi too. The bread that it refers to is also basically the same in both Iran and India, both cooked in a tandoor, might be a bit sweeter in India if there's yogurt in, in a UK restaurant they might put sugar in too, but I don't think that's particularly traditional. Go into a Persian kebab place and compare the bread there to an Indian restaurant Naan one from a Turkish place and you'll see what I mean (Turkish flatbread is also nice, but not quite as lush). Roti is a Hindi and Urdu word which means bread, but also refers to a specific bread - unleavened where Naan is leavened.

Naan is fucking great though, along with sourdough Neapolitan pizza, it's the best bread. Rotis/Chapatis are only ok, a Paratha is much nicer.

My first world achievement was actually cooking a decent Naan at home in a regular oven, took years to get it down. The first trick was cooking on a pizza stone/steel at as high a temp as possible, but the real clincher was wrapping it in a clean towel for 5 mins after it's cooked, it softens it up massively, they're too stiff otherwise. Still not as good as a proper tandoor one, but infinitely better than a store bought one.