IGNORED

stupid first world achievements and successes

eugene

I occasionally grab a raw one and eat it. Other than that I've made carrot salad and I use them in stews and soups. Most dishes profit from INSANE amounts of carrots. Sometimes I have sex with them. Hutspot is a dish formerly unbeknownst to me, might try that as well. And it might become the currency in the post-apocalyptic world we might live in soon

• Like 1

I recall hearing as a kid that carrots contain a greater percentage of water than any other vegetable, and thinking that must be bullshit (but I didn't yet have "bullshit" in my vocab).   Surely cucumbers must destroy carrots in the water dept.  

On 12/11/2019 at 3:00 PM, darreichungsform said:

I got 2kg of carrots for 69 cents. What a deal! I had to cycle through a snowstorm to get them, though

Are they good, though ?  It's easy to get cheap produce, but it's hard to find the good stuff.  Carrots should be sweet, and most of the cheap ones taste bitter and toxic.

Also, the best carrot dish I've had was a stir-fry of shredded carrots with a subtle amount of Chinkiang vinegar, which made the flavor many times more exciting.

Edited by drillkicker

14 minutes ago, drillkicker said:

Are they good, though ?  It's easy to get cheap produce, but it's hard to find the good stuff.  Carrots should be sweet, and most of the cheap ones taste bitter and toxic.

They were fine. I never had bitter carrots. But in my experience the general quality of groceries is better here in Europe than in the US.

11 minutes ago, drillkicker said:

Also, the best carrot dish I've had was a stir-fry of shredded carrots with a subtle amount of Chinkiang vinegar, which made the flavor many times more exciting.

Yeah, I'm a stir-fry man also. There is nothing better than stir-fried food. Talking of vinegar, you should try this sometime if I may suggest it: Put sugar (cane sugar if you have it) in a dry pan and heat it up until it starts to caramelize. Just after it starts to bubble add Balsamico vinegar (or any other vinegar) and deglaze the pan. Add one chilli and a subtle amount of salt. Extremely flavourful sauce that surely tastes good with carrots or any other thing. Also you can add it to another sauce to round off the flavour

^Fuck yes

Another method to cook zucchini is this: Chop the zucchini and activate it by rubbing it in salt and sugar (5 parts salt, 1 part sugar), let it sit for 2 minutes in a pot. It will lose some liquid which then is covering the bottom of the pot which is important. The pre seasoning already does 75% of the cooking process. Then put the pot on the stove with the lid on and heat it up. As soon as the lid turns hot count to 30. Done. This is much better than parboiling because you don't lose any taste and vitamins and shit to water as you only boil and steam it in its own liquids and you don't waste precious water. And it tastes amazing even though it's just seasoned with salt and sugar.

This way the zucchini tastes more like zucchini than a zucchini tastes like zucchini.

ZUCCHINI!!

Edited by darreichungsform
glorious page break
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, darreichungsform said:

in my experience the general quality of groceries is better here in Europe than in the US.

you've spent time in the US? or are you talking like what you've heard about from others

1 hour ago, Stickfigger said:

I've been grilling zucchini strips on the BBQ with a bit of lemon juice and butter

Doesn't even taste like a vegetable by the end its awesome

zuxx and squaxx are underrated for frying/baking/grilling up. absolutely delish.

zucc squad reprazent

Edited by auxien

45 minutes ago, auxien said:

you've spent time in the US? or are you talking like what you've heard about from others

Yeah but only spent a couple of weeks in NYC which I guess is not very representative of the US as a country.

Don't get me wrong, you can get really high quality groceries which are insanely expensive but also really low quality groceries (lower than allowed in the EU), chlorinated chicken, etc. It's why so many people here were against TTIP.

• Like 1

Went to the local arcade and somehow managed to nab the #2 high score on Ghostbusters pin ball.  The people in my city must be really shit at pin ball, because this was only my second time playing and I am NOT good.  Of course... there's always the plausible explanation that the machine got reset recently, taking previous high scores with it.  Also, I felt like the machine was mostly playing itself.  But whatever.  I'm a pinball master, clearly.

Nice! I spent about 4 hours total in Iceland. The airport is pretty boring. But in the airplane I read a shit ton of those advertisement flyers for Iceland. Seemed all a bit expensive for some shitty island with not much on it except horses, geysers and elves. A friend studied there for a year. All he told me is that he ate 1kg of raw salmon and had to vomit. I wanna go to Iceland, too