IGNORED

Juan Atkins & Moritz von Oswald - Borderland

Npoess

Two of techno’s all-time greats, Juan Atkins and Moritz Von Oswald, have collaborated on a new album under the name Borderland.

One third of Detroit’s legendary Belleville Three with Derrick May and Kevin Saunderson, Juan Atkins is credited by many for inventing techno music with his 1980s work as Cybotron and Model 500. Moritz Von Oswald, meanwhile, is one of the 1990′s most influential producers, flipping the techno script with his work as half of Basic Channel and Maurizo. His recent years have been dominated by his group The Moritz Von Oswald Trio, a group he shares with Max Loderbauer and Vladislav Delay.
The Borderland project will be debuted in the form of a live show at this year’s MUTEK Festival in Montreal; an eight-track album will follow through Berlin’s Tresor Label on June 10. It will be released as both CD and a series of 12″ singles.

http://www.factmag.com/2013/04/05/techno-innovators-juan-atkins-and-moritz-von-oswald-ready-collaborative-album-as-borderland/

Good to see they're working together. Curious how that is going to turn out.

Btw, they already sort of worked together on Model500's Deep Space album, no? I remember Von Oswald explicitly being credited.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Searched this thread after listing the album in my mid-year top records and noticing no-one else had done the same. Did this one go by a bit unnoticed? The only comment in this thread from someone who's actually heard it is "pretty boring".

Sure, it's repetitive but what would you expect? A lot of time is spent jamming on one motif, but I prefer to think of it as a more subtle, dubbier, E2-E4. That's the vibe I'm getting anyway. Quite good. :flower:

I bought 3 tracks of the album (beatport), so I kinda get the "boring" part. But if you're into their older work there' definitely a couple of good tracks on there, imo. Footprints being the obvious track, btw. This one fits perfectly with what you'd expect from a basic channel meets model 500 track.

Nothing earth moving though.

Can't really compare this to the MvO Trio stuff. This is more Detroit-techno-y while the Trio stuff is more jazz-like improve electronics with a tint of techno. And I've liked all of it so far too.

I like these chaps overall, but this record just sounds jammy and sticking to their past formula. Showing skills they own eyes closed. Afterlude is pure BC 20 years ago without grit. Feels like rockstars unite.

Guest murphythecat8

this is just bad. Listened to this today, couldnt past the third song.

I wiull stop trusting RA reviews

There is a trend musically in electronica. A lot of stuff is decent, but lacks any originality, besides original sounds. I have llistened to around 15 record this past month, and all was bad. great sound, no musical ideas whatsoever.

Archived