IGNORED

Korg Volca series

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest yikes

interesting machines but a good investment. these things are fun tools but and they will hold their value over time

when they're dirt cheap you could buy 100 of them and have 100 voice polyphony wow hehe

FIXED

Guest yikes

9 patterns is lite compared to a real 303 which has 64

i bet there will be mods a plenty for all 3 of these boxes and a way to improve pattern storage with a chip upgrade?

I'd doubt it, as you would not only need more memory, but firmware to support writing to more memory locations.

Anyways, it looks like the sequencer is really meant for on-the-fly work, as you can see him overdubbing new patterns in the demo vid. In a way it's a cool limitation, forcing you to keep your hand in the music.

I think the industry is completely flooded with boxes that do tons of things, and these are meant to be quirky and to appeal to people who don;t want another do-it-all vanilla machine.

You can only save 8 patterns? What is this 1979?

shut the fuck up

You mad faggot?

this is grammatically incorrect and unfortunately makes no sense.

What I don't understand - no MIDI out. Why not?

the things are $150

obviously some functionality needs forgoing to get them down to that price

it's funny how these things go:

either people complain about the price

or they complain about missing functionality

in my mind, all three of these piece are perfect

yes they are limited

but I like limited

I guess... waiting for a competitor to put out the same products with MIDI out. It'll probably happen.

What I don't understand - no MIDI out. Why not?

the things are $150

obviously some functionality needs forgoing to get them down to that price

it's funny how these things go:

either people complain about the price

or they complain about missing functionality

in my mind, all three of these piece are perfect

yes they are limited

but I like limited

I guess... waiting for a competitor to put out the same products with MIDI out. It'll probably happen.

Korg's little boxes have a history of being mod-friendly. I'm guessing people will offer cheap modding services.

Guest chunky

would be nice if local music shops started employing people to do mods on gear

also would be nice if korg did a proper modular that was cheap

So I am 100% buying the Volca Keys. The two waveforms and 3-note polyphony is right up my alley. I much much prefer extremely-limited gear to extremely-versatile gear. This is why I like the 101 as I can quickly decide upon a (beautiful analog) sound and then get to work writing and performing.

The Volca Keys reminds me of one of my

(from Imaginary Landscapes):

What you need are fewer possibilities that are more interesting. And, you know, the whole emphasis on synthesizer design has been giving you more and more options. It's not more options that you want, it's more useful options. I have always been trying to press for a synthesizer that is like this [picks up strat copy], you know. This guitar has 3 positions, in fact there are 5 because you can get in between the positions...but the thing about it is that each of those options means something...it really is a different sound, and it's a useful sound.

Now, the curious thing is, I am looking at the Guitar Center website and it says that the Volcas have "Just Arrived"...wtf, really?

yes they are limited

but I like limited

yes

yeah, the price is ridiculous. As far as analogue gear goes you can't really complain about lacking midi features, certainly not at this price point.

Limitations force you to be creative and think outside the box, a great way to learn new tricks. I find it much more rewaring than working in an all virtual enviroment, where you can do whatever the fuck you want, and just lose your way in the endless possibilites. I should go back to hardware I think.

/offtopic rambling

yes

Affordable, 3 VCO bass, 3 poly lead, drum machine...

Well

this is nice.

I would love to purchase one or multiple of these machines.

Korg does got shit on Denzel.

Well

this is nice.

You can get crazy deals if you buy all three. I've seen prices as low as $340-50.

Well

this is nice.

You can get crazy deals if you buy all three. I've seen prices as low as $340-50.

link?

(please? i'm not finding that)

Well

this is nice.

link?

it's somewhere on that page i think

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/827864-new-korg-grooveboxes-korg-volca-28.html

Well

this is nice.

link?

it's somewhere on that page i think

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/827864-new-korg-grooveboxes-korg-volca-28.html

thanks!

i don't get the lead. it sounds shitty and looks impossible to play with that keyboard thing. couldn't they just make a demo with the ms20 and get over it. bass/drum are fucking rad, though. i am so glad someone started making stuff like this. i wub u korg *pets his poly800*

i don't get the lead. it sounds shitty and looks impossible to play with that keyboard thing.

The Volca Keys is awesome.

Luckily it has "midi in" so you can play this beautiful-sounding $150 analog polyphonic synthesizer using a midi keyboard.

Guest yikes

imma get all 3 and the ms 20 to go with my minibrute

then an a4 and i will be done for a long while

ok maybe another mpc but not for awhile until i loose more pads on the 1000 i have now

but really after all that i won't need anything else for along time except upgrades to renoise

Archived