IGNORED

New York-Tips etc...

megapussi

Hi Everybody!

I am visiting NYC for the first time on Thursday, for a week. We have quite a lot planned, like the Knicks-Pacers game on Sunday fuck yeah, but now I am feeling lazy, and am looking for quick tips and ideas what to check out that we might have missed.

Feel free to suggest anything.

Thank You!

amazing food

http://momofuku.com/

great book shops

http://www.strandbooks.com/

http://karmakarma.org/

http://savethescifi.com/

synth shop in brooklyn

http://www.ctrl-mod.com/

high line is great, altnhought i think the nature is to controlled, would be better if it was a bit more wild

http://www.thehighline.org/

lots of nice belgian beers

http://burpcastlenyc.wordpress.com/

best burger i had while in nyc

http://www.bareburger.com/

moma, new museum etc are all great, whoopi goldberg talking about the history of the universe is super.

• 7 months later...

I'm gonna bump this thread because I'm heading out to New York in January.

What's the best place to get breakfast? I'm gonna stay in Brooklyn so feel free to recommend me good places there as well. Also, feel free to recommend me galleries, second hand stores, hot dogs, burgers... yeah, pretty much anything.

What's the best place to get breakfast? I'm gonna stay in Brooklyn so feel free to recommend me good places there as well. Also, feel free to recommend me galleries, second hand stores, hot dogs, burgers... yeah, pretty much anything.

tumblr_m6ipieux7w1rziwwco1_250.gif

here's a hug. I don't know about NYC as I was only there for two days, everything smelt like pee, and the air quality was shit.

:biggrin:

Breakfast - try Five Leaves in Greenpoint or Doma in the West Village for something more relaxed. There's also a small chain called Le Pain Quotidien that has really good stuff.

Go to Al di La in Park Slope for Northern Italian food. Fette Sau for bbq, even though the setup is bullshit. Saravanaa Bhavan (on Lexington in Manhattan) for veggie Indian. Gen in Prospect Heights is truly great modern Japanese food. Minca, East Village, for ramen (get the spicy miso broth with charshu pork, wavy wheat noodles). I'm not a burger conneisour but I like Flipz in Park Slope.

If you wanna buy a synth, get a car and head out to Three Wave Music in NJ. It's expensive but chances are they have what you want. But if you want a cool toy or modular piece, go to MeMe Antenna in Williamsburg. There's also a more full fledged modular shop in Williamsburg called Control.

I'm away for work or I'd ask to hang out for a meal..have fun and i hope you like the food!

Breakfast - try Five Leaves in Greenpoint or Doma in the West Village for something more relaxed. There's also a small chain called Le Pain Quotidien that has really good stuff.

Go to Al di La in Park Slope for Northern Italian food. Fette Sau for bbq, even though the setup is bullshit. Saravanaa Bhavan (on Lexington in Manhattan) for veggie Indian. Gen in Prospect Heights is truly great modern Japanese food. Minca, East Village, for ramen (get the spicy miso broth with charshu pork, wavy wheat noodles). I'm not a burger conneisour but I like Flipz in Park Slope.

If you wanna buy a synth, get a car and head out to Three Wave Music in NJ. It's expensive but chances are they have what you want. But if you want a cool toy or modular piece, go to MeMe Antenna in Williamsburg. There's also a more full fledged modular shop in Williamsburg called Control.

I'm away for work or I'd ask to hang out for a meal..have fun and i hope you like the food!

Wow, thanks, man! We'll definitely check these places out! :)

Beware the C.H.U.D.S'.

chud-chud.gif

lolz

"I got a tip for ya--

article-2456157-18B2842700000578-845_634

take a hike ya jackass!"

(seriously, though: avoid eye contact; don't jaywalk; if the pizza isn't long and sweaty don't buy it; don't let yourself get pushed around; conserve your money or you'll be broke within two blocks...)

second five leaves and fette sau.

would recommend caracas for amazing arepas (venezuelan tacos) - if you're in the east village proletariat is a great hyper-specialized beer bar - although they serve lots of rare danish beers which probably aren't too interesting to you squee!! still, their domestic brews are great.

when in january!? I'm in and out of NYC on a weekly basis- let me know and i'd love to catch a drink if you're so inclined. :)

Shopping:

-Get a pair of jeans at Uniqlo in soho (cheap & stylish)

Record stores: academy (Williamsburg & east village), other music (Greenwich village), permanent records (Greenpoint)

Food :

-Get a Lobster roll @ Chelsea market

-Pastries at Vinieros on 1st and 11th

-Oasis shawarma in Williamsburg

-Shake shack hamburgers

-Oysters at Aquagrill in soho

-Steak (or burgers) at Peter Lugers in Williamsburg.

- fette Sau BBQ

- five leaves brunch (get there early!!! They get ridiculously packed around 10-11am. )

- paulie g's pizza in Greenpoint

Sights:

- Staten Island ferry (free... Includes close-up view of Statue of Liberty... Don't pay for that) ****

- highline park (meat packing district)

- stroll in Central Park

- Brooklyn bridge

- Brooklyn heights promenade

If you're adventurous:

- helicopter tours

- rent a bike and see manhattan, bike over the Brooklyn bridge and up to the queensboro bridge and back over to Manhattan. Cut through Central Park and over to the west side and bike down along the Hudson River all the way down to battery park.

I have so much more, but I'll stop.

Nice lope & Jeff!

Ok pizza:

Roberta's

Saraghina

Joe's (west village slices)

I'm partial to Lombardi's, but I used to work there. Protip is to order to go, then eat it on a stoop while everyone waits in line to get in.

Wait yeah when are you there Squee?

Thanks, guys! Keep it coming :)

I'm surprised no one has told me to stay away from Time Square yet?

I've been to New York before, but it was a terrible trip. I was supposed to hang out with a friend but she was busy from the day I arrived, so I was on my own which sucked butt. I'll be there from January 26th - February 4th.

cool thread. the stone on the lower east side of manhattan is a not-for profit music venue put together by avant garde jazz dude john zorn, and every night there is cool and unique music there, 2 sets a night, at 8 and 10 pm, $15 a set. commonly you'll get very rare collaborations of musicians, often doing improv or covers. a lot of it is jazz and avante garde but there are other things too, i saw secret chiefs 3 do an hour long unreleased composition there in the spring. it has weekly residencies, so when it was secret chiefs 3, they played every night for a week, doing different things every set.

Thanks, guys! Keep it coming :)

I'm surprised no one has told me to stay away from Time Square yet?

I've been to New York before, but it was a terrible trip. I was supposed to hang out with a friend but she was busy from the day I arrived, so I was on my own which sucked butt. I'll be there from January 26th - February 4th.

marc ribot is the resident curator at the stone at the end of january, he does good stuff. i'd particularly recommend going on the 31st when he's playing with mary halvorson and chad taylor.

leave as soon as possible and never look back.

im not a fan of NYC.

Yeah, I'm doing this (I give myself a year). You can still have fun visiting though, if you're with the right people.

Archived