IGNORED

/ 6 9 9 7 4 2 / 6 2 8 3 1 5 / 7 1 7 2 2 8 / 9 3 6 5 5 7 / 8 1 3 3 8 6 / 5 1 9 2 2 5 /

Guest bigloob

I think we can discount the Close Encounters thing - Rough Trade Man has said:

The 'Close Encounters' thing is my fault. Our colleague who's in charge of the Rough Trade twitter account emailed us to say he felt like he was in 'Close Encounters', so I emailed him back with my favourite lines of dialogue from the film (or indeed from any film.) He obviously felt inspired to tweet them - it would be funny if they now became part of the myth-making.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gravity

2nd recording makes first digit sound like a 6.

So it's the NPR code then.

699742 / 628315 / 717228 / 936557 / ------ / 519225

Guest Warabou

That's 699742 again

edit: I can't hear the first digit at all actually

Yeah why is the first digit so low? Are we sure this isn't the NPR code again but with the proper placement?

Yeah, it might be. It could also be that they have the same code twice, so when it's decrypted it's got the same word/letters or something, like "the", which could easily be repeated in a phrase. But I kinda doubt that.

Guest Papillon

Sorry but I'm wondering, even if we had all the numbers, then waht the hell do we do? My neck hurts from sittng here at my laptop.

Guest viscosity

well if they're re-broadcasting the NPR number, maybe it was in the first spot afterall

edit: this thread is moving way too fast lol

It the first did sound like 2 9 9 7 4 2 though. But maybe it is a proper placement update, given that the coherent audio on the last five numbers matching that prior number and there being debate about what the first number is.

Here's us trying to decrypt the numbers from an overblown 32kbps cellphone recording and hearing different numbers each, and the actual place is probably full of people going

OI MATE THE MUSIC IS BOLLOCKS BUT THERE'S FREE CHEESE-CRACKERS!!

6a0120a65f3bd1970c01347fd02f7e970c-800wi

Guest Papillon

okay yep I think you're right so 299742 for the first number in the sequence and leave the 699742 in the fifth spot?

Guest Warabou

Cleaned up version.

There it sounds like 299742.

that's the number I got last page. I honestly can't hear how it could be a 6. and I don't think they'd go to all that trouble of preparing a video projection just to clarify a position. I think the NPR code was deliberately given without a position, and it goes in the 5th spot and this new one, which is similar, goes in the 1st spot

It seems weird that they would go through the trouble of setting this up in a physical space just to rebroadcast a number that's already been released.

Guest dylanmcknd

Cleaned up version.

that's the number I got last page. I honestly can't hear how it could be a 6. and I don't think they'd go to all that trouble of preparing a video projection just to clarify a position. I think the NPR code was deliberately given without a position, and it goes in the 5th spot and this new one, which is similar, goes in the 1st spot

Actually, I hear a VERY faint 2 in the beginning. So it kinda sounds like 2699742. Somebody better make a better recording of this PRONTO.

Guest No Pomo

It seems weird that they would go through the trouble of setting this up in a physical space just to rebroadcast a number that's already been released.

I guess they think very little of NPR...

(hear, hear)

Cleaned up version.

The first digit still seems garbled to me

it actually sounds like 2 syllables now with the same timbre as the voice reading "7"

Archived