IGNORED

Four Tet - Beautiful Rewind

Npoess

GEzcr4R.png

(I know it's a bit silly to make a thread with so little information, but I will obviously update it when more information gets available)

Four Tet has really gone from being a decent artist, to one of my favorites in recent years.

There Is Love In You and Pink were both amazing.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

This may be a harsh thing to say but his music seems a lot less complex than it used to be. or less effort is required. on his old records he sampled and chopped, stretched and reconfigured melodies. must have taken a long time. recently he seems to be lifting samples straight from other records - maybe that was just one example - but he's using synths and stuff instead so in theory it's a quicker process. or he just got better. what O am saying is that he is churning out material.

whilst I still like his stuff I was a huge fan of the rounds era stuff

Yeah no question his stuff got simpler. It doesn't necessarily mean it got worse. The way I understand from interviews that up until TILIY he went from building music (painstakingly?) through sampling and some electronics in a room or studio, and then sometime after TILIY he got a residency as a DJ and it's probably at that point his music definitely takes a shift to something much more danceable He talks about being able to test tracks against a crowd etc.

If you haven't heard his FabricLive: 59 compilation it's a pretty fun garage listen. I like to coin that release as his shift. With Pink after that everything he does is a bit funkier.

The eclectic era stuff he did is way cool but I'm enjoying this shift. Some potentially cool "club" oriented music.

Wow, I'm really surprised to hear that. I thought 'There is love in you' was awesome & brought some real warmth, feeling & melody back into the techno/house sound, something that the scene was lacking.

I also really enjoyed There is Love in You, as you say there is warmth, feeling and melody throughout. If you have a turntable I'd really recommend getting the vinyl as it sounds spectaculer against my 320 mp3, particualr that lovely warm bassline that comes in near the end of Circling. It gives me goosebumps.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice track titties, big expectations for unicorns. Perhaps a super cool mod could update the thread from TBA now?

Ceriously tho, while I've dug the more recent stuff (Love in You, Pink), hoping that this is another departure point for him (kinda like how he was able to completely unyoke the folktronica tag while still maintaining a distinctive style)

I'm hoping for something a bit darker and not as safe as his other stuff. He's got a real light touch with production, grooves and general composition that I admire, but he rarely blows me away with anything really unexpected.

I'm hoping for something a bit darker and not as safe as his other stuff. He's got a real light touch with production, grooves and general composition that I admire, but he rarely blows me away with anything really unexpected.

my thoughts entirely my friend. I always buy his stuff but I'd never pack it in a suitcase for a Desert Island Disc scenario.

To be honest, I've gone from absolutely loving Four Tet (2000-2005) to being completely underwhelmed consistently by his new stuff. ;{

To be honest, I've gone from absolutely loving Four Tet (2000-2005) to being completely underwhelmed consistently by his new stuff. ;{

Aye, same here.

Also, he's having a good old chuckle with that title, ain't he?

It's an anagram of "weed...it fun!" burial

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Also, he's having a good old chuckle with that title, ain't he?

It's an anagram of "weed...it fun!" burial

Fucking lol!

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

yep.

i quite like the fast drumming part behind it. the hammered plinky sound is really boring

Archived