IGNORED

Four Tet - Beautiful Rewind

Npoess

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go. Nice track, but hardly unexpected. Cue disappointed angry WATMM mob.

I really liked early Four Tet stuff but kinda fell out of love with him circa Ringer - I really like this one though. Reminds me a bit of early Leftfield.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Some nice soundscapes. Wanted more out of each track though, they don't really seem to go anywhere. Lacking the warmth and soul that got me into his stuff in the first place. The tracks after Kool FM were the strongest

I'm having a hard time trying to imagine how you're hearing something cold or soulless here. That some of the tracks don't really develop much is a valid point, although I'd have agreed more after my first listen than now after a couple more; sometimes lack of progression bothers me too, but not here. I remain of the unpopular opinion that his stuff is getting better and better.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Older stuff is warmer and more soulful to my ear probably because of the eclectic array of live recorded sounds and real room ambience. I didn't mean this was cold - it's just him changing the way he works. Which is cool, just these tracks didn't hit the spot in the same way his other stuff has. They don't feel 'complete'. Only listened to it once so far, maybe it'll grow on me. I really don't like Kool FM though.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

I think the lack of progression in the tunes is due to the speed at which they were made. I get the impression (or maybe read) that these were done very quickly, and that was the idea behind the album, to really not overthink or overwork, to just make.

haven't heard it yet

I think the lack of progression in the tunes is due to the speed at which they were made. I get the impression (or maybe read) that these were done very quickly, and that was the idea behind the album, to really not overthink or overwork, to just make.

haven't heard it yet

thats a cool post. sometimes I wonder what a punk aesthetic would sound like with AFX, BOC, AE, SP.

like they walk into their studio and just fucking rip for a few hours, making up tunes really fast. I've thought about making a thread about this, maybe I should. Anyway I'd love to hear a live experiment like that. It doesn't matter if the outcome isn't perfect, just go in and smash some tunes out. They would never, ever do it, because they seem to precious about their art.

but just imagine the adrenalin rush you would get, like a recording of them just walking in and starting up the machines and just going for it. I've thought about this many, many times.

ahhh if I was KIng for a day.....

haven't heard it yet

thats a cool post.

x2, and it does ring a bell, or maybe it just rings true, not sure. The album does kind of work as a collection of fleeting moments. I'll leave the obvious cheesy album title tie-in to your imagination.

Thanks to my copy making it across the English Channel in record time I'm still listening after the stream was taken down. I predict some of this year's left field techno albums (Immunity, The Inheritors) will be gathering dust on my shelves in the very near future. :music:

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

haven't heard it yet

thats a cool post. sometimes I wonder what a punk aesthetic would sound like with AFX, BOC, AE, SP.

like they walk into their studio and just fucking rip for a few hours, making up tunes really fast. I've thought about making a thread about this, maybe I should. Anyway I'd love to hear a live experiment like that. It doesn't matter if the outcome isn't perfect, just go in and smash some tunes out. They would never, ever do it, because they seem to precious about their art.

but just imagine the adrenalin rush you would get, like a recording of them just walking in and starting up the machines and just going for it. I've thought about this many, many times.

have you come across fact magazine's against the clock? basically they ask producers to make a track (or a start at least) in 10 minutes on film. they are all pretty interesting but no BIG names yet.

here's the first one:

http://www.factmag.com/2013/03/26/watch-xxxy-go-against-the-clock-on-fact-tvs-new-production-series/

haven't heard it yet

have you come across fact magazine's against the clock? basically they ask producers to make a track (or a start at least) in 10 minutes on film. they are all pretty interesting but no BIG names yet.

here's the first one:

http://www.factmag.com/2013/03/26/watch-xxxy-go-against-the-clock-on-fact-tvs-new-production-series/

ill check it later, cheers

I really like everything about this album except for the Hey Hey Hey in Kool FM. Can't deal with that at all, but the rest is on the money.

Archived