IGNORED

Four Tet - Beautiful Rewind

Npoess

Hmmm, not too keen on this. Got a few nice bits in but overall sounds more like a bunch of demos than an actual album. The album it mosts reminds me of is human after all, that had a similar unfinished feel to me.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a pretty album alright, nothing short of what you'd expect from four tet, and there's plenty I already quite like only after a few listens. The one thing that nags at me though is how similar sounding this is to There Is Love In You and Pink (and Caribou's recent Daphni album for that matter)... TBH if I put these four albums on shuffle and blindfolded myself I probably have a hard time guessing which album a particular track is from.

I really like everything about this album except for the Hey Hey Hey in Kool FM. Can't deal with that at all, but the rest is on the money.

Just listened to the album yesterday and mustI say with release of his i like him more and more. That being said, I had to change the track once because of the hey hey in Kool FM.

• 2 weeks later...

listened to it a few times now and think it is subpar compared to his other albums. I agree with previous posters about lacking warmth and sounding like a bunch of unfinished tracks. one of his strengths is with drum tracks and I'm not hearing the four tet signature sound on alot of these beats.

granted, the only four tet album I was immediately blown away by (and still his best IMO) is Pause. all the other took me awhile to warm up to. I initialy only liked a few tracks off of There is love before coming around and put off listening to all of Rounds for ages due to finding it boring. so maybe I'll revisit this new one later and hear it differently.

on the plus side, this made me listen to Pink today which even though isn't a real album, is far superior IMO

Funnily enough this one has grown on me quite a bit. Still sounds pretty weak on headphones but putting it on the stereo when doing other stuff seems to work, there's some pretty good music on there.

I still feel a few more hours in the studio sorting out the production and easing off the repetition would have helped turn it from a good album into a great one though.

this is beautiful.

while it sounds unfinished, it also manages to get closer to the heart of music than anything I heard in a while. it almost like he played it out in one sitting, like a violinist would play a violin concert, only using his production tools.

Still sounds pretty weak on headphones but putting it on the stereo when doing other stuff seems to work, there's some pretty good music on there.

I remember him saying in that Future Music "in the studio" vid that he doesn't master his stuff.

Sweet looking 2-hr exclusive mix for Solid Steel this week (available to d/l) :sorcerer:

Solid Steel (1st November) Having announced that Four Tet will be joining the line up for the Solid Steel 25th Anniversary night at Fire in London on 6th Dec, we now hand over the decks to him for a 2 Hour exclusive mix.

Four Tet's history with the show extends back to his first mix in 2001 and part of the Solid Steel US Tour that year with DJ Food, DK and Bonobo. He was also the first guest at the monthly Solid Steel club night in 2004 with more mixes to follow and his music has been consistently played on the show.

As with all our 25th Anniversary guests, we asked for something different and here's what he said about his mix;

"This mix is made from unofficial edits and mixes. I guess these edits were mainly made to be played in clubs and I've always like the tradition of DJs extending and rearranging to make things work in their sets. Most of the edits here are unreleased because they are just tools for DJs really. The Black Unity one was done for the Solid Steel US tour that I did in 2001. Thanks to Daphni, Floating Points and Happa for the edits I got from them."

http://www.solidsteel.net/

• 2 months later...

Archived